imugford

Down Under Proxy Race Series 2007 - Rd3

Hi Guys

I wouldn't put too much store into those times at this stage.

I'm not the quickest of drivers and the track conditions were not particularly favourable to the harder tyred cars.

Beejay.......Don't get too despondent they car is now accelerating out of corners without the chatter that it had after a bit of gluing to the motor pod I reckon it will move up the order once the official stuff starts.

As for Hoffy being in front of me, watch out mate ole' clackety clack's comin' for ya!!!!!! l(later round guys will understand the clackety reference when the cars get to them)

I did do some work on McGregors car during the week to help it along. I hope Mcg won't mind me saying it was almost undrivable in the state it was in. bounce had an entire new meaning.

Anyway I did the usual wheel trueing bit and I replaced the standard tyres with some old MJK's I had in the box. a bit of a ballast revision and this car is acting more like it should.

Wet's car is a bit like BJ's in that it is not entirely happy on this track surface. the car feels realy quick driving it but it's not reflected in the times.

Martins little 908.3 just seems to lack speed at present ther is nothing really wrong with it , it's just not fast enough same goes for terrys 908.3 it seems a bit taily in the twisty bits.

well there is some comments for you.

Cheers Alan

Thanks for the feedback Alan, seems to be a common problem for my car across the three rounds so far that the motor is weak, or maybe has been left behind already by the next generation of slot.it motors.

If you can throw some better tyres on McG's car, how about a better motor in mine !

I guess it raises a point, if a car is a dog, should one of the round hosts be allowed to improve it and if so at what penalty ? if a penalty at all.

If I had a good car and all the ones that are behind me kept getting fixed by the round hosts, is this fair to someone who built a good car in the first place.

edit note

I somehow managed to get my reply to Martin into this post now fixed see post below

A

Edited by lenny broke

Find me at Card Guys for custom trading cards

I guess it raises a point, if a car is a dog, should one of the round hosts be allowed to improve it and if so at what penalty ? if a penalty at all.

If I had a good car and all the ones that are behind me kept getting fixed by the round hosts, is this fair to someone who built a good car in the first place.

Fair questions, eh? I mean, I can see if a car is broken then a host would naturally be doing the right thing by reporting it and fixing it if that's what the entrant wants done about the situation.

We can't all be trackside to work on our cars for each race. Isn't one of the challenges of successful Proxy Racing to put together a car that can survive the series just the way it was put together by the entrant on his own workbench? dunno.gif

Fair point Martin

It is something that we didn't really discuss. we didn't apply any penalties last year so didn't this time either.

I have done some repairs to cars through out the first 3 rounds mainly to keep some cars in the series. the penalties have been if it stops in the race it does not get fixed till after the race

in one case I have replaced a blown motor and a pinion.

Any work done is done in consultation with the entrant.

I felt we needed to do something to McGregor's car because it really was undrivable the way it was and was no fun to drive at all. It was also a problem for other cars with it's continual deslots. now it is a better behaving car to drive and hopefully Mc G will learn from it when he gets the car back.

I don't think it is a lot faster than before it just doesn't want to fling it self off the track at the first opportunity.

There will be no further work done on this car.

Martin , your car is still very drivable if lacking some speed and should move up the order through out the rest of the round and the series.

It seems that the908.3's just don't suit this lay out

Anything I have done is to keep the cars going reliably and for the benefit of the series and not any one individual. If that was the case I would have changed the top heavy resin body on my car for a 512 Barchetta by now.

Alan

Ps keep in mind that this is meant to be for fun and by keeping more people in it the more fun I reckon. no sheep station here B)

Edited by lenny broke

I've got no problem with all the cars behind me being worked on. Just as long as they stay behind me.

But you do raise a good point. Changing parts in the middle of a proxy isn't fair on all the other cars that aren't suited to the tracks they are racing on. My last year's proxy car ran a lot of parts that are now in my Lola. If someone had changed the tyres I would have done a lot better last year.

Truing tyres, glueing motors and other little fixes are ok but changing something like tyres makes a huge difference.

When the cars get to Tassie can someone change my tyres to something that suits their tracks???

Didn't think so.

(Post edited) Lenny got his post in while I was replying with mine. Point taken Lenny. I'll get back to work and stop ranting now. But if McGregor's car beats mine at any round I'm going to send the boys round to "see" you. B)B)

Edited by Sports Racer

May the downforce be with you.

OK Guys Fair cop............May be I shouldn't have done it but it was what I thought would be the right thing.

The tyres were changed because the ones on the car were unusable, a set of old fly classics . I tried to true them but no luck there. The best option I had was to find some tyres I had in my spares box that would fit the rims . Crikey it's not as though it is doing 6.2's B)

I can assure you that if it had been your cars they would have got equal treatment.

Alan

It's so nice watching someone else getting hammered instead of me. We had the same issue last year at Joe Z's round and I bet it happens again next year.

Ian, how do these times compare with what you usually race on your track?

Ian, how do these times compare with what you usually race on your track?

Hi Sports

Ian's comment to me was that your time was a new outright lap record.

Alan

Hi Guys,

I,m sorry my car has caused so much of a hassle therefore I am going to pull it out of any further races. The car was set up using a 1 metre long test board as my scaley track was pulled down for the building of a boardtrack on the test tack it went around nice nad smooth but obviolsly coulnt go to anywhere near full power so I didnt see the problems. I would just like to thank Lenny and Hoffy and the gang for their efforts and I,m sorry to have caused so much trouble .

Regards John

WANT THAT ONE! AND THAT ONE!

I have no problems with the host tuning a car that has problems. One of the main things abouit these races is that people learn from the experience of building a car and seeing how it goes on other tracks. This has been talked about for years during our races,where some cars have arrived and been almost undrivable on OUR tracks.I have tuned them to perform down here and then sent them on,but it can be a gamble, the car might not be as good on one of the tracks later in the series.

So we only "tune" the cars that really have problems,last year one car had tyre problems and the tyre would come off the rim so after Emailing the entrant I glued and trued his tyres,the car improved.

But we are not talking about tuning cars that are good/great cars but helping the guys who need some help.

John don't remove then car but see how it goes and take note and listen to the feed back so that you can simply build a better car next year.

Phil

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

No worries Lenny, like I said to you in my PM, it is no probelms for me if a car is that bad it gets fixed. We havn't had to do much of it in the 2 years of proxy races.

I agree it is very much in the 'slotter' spirit to help a bloke out but a little against what proxy racing is about.

Stay in the event McG, atleast you will have some data to compare your improved car with against the field and you and i can have our own battle down the back of the room with the other naughty kids.

I asked the question as my car has been poor, I would like to replace the motor in it but its against the concept. But if I was given a points penalty and allowed to do it, then I would. But there is a whole can of worms there, can I swap tyres for different tracks ??? add weight for the tassie rounds....

There are more important things to worry about in life than if someones slot car is being worked on. Slot on boys......

I'm sorry my car has caused so much of a hassle therefore I am going to pull it out of any further races.
Don't you dare mate! There's lots of reasons we go Proxy Racing; technical knowledge being shared and learned from is one of the most important, to my mind!

For me one of the great mysteries is tyres, particularly of the rubber variety that are so popular in your part of the world (silicones tend to rule here in Canada and the southern provinces). My own 908 entry, on my home track, was a good 20% slower than any reasonably competitive car here on silicones; I had to trust to luck that I had the balance right for the P3s to work effectively in your series. MJK tyres are unknown to us in this part of the world, though there are quite a few DUPR entrants using them I think. So if your car can run this well with virtually no track testing before sending it off, then good on you, so keep it in the mix just so we can all see how it does on the various surfaces ahead. If you slaughter the rest of us from here, we'll come up with a good technical reason to oust you, don't worry!

No sheep station here.
Now you see this has me a bit concerned. Is "Sheep Station" perhaps some Ozzy euphemism for "House of Ill Repute"? Coz I'm used to being on a Family Forum, and these kind of remarks have me a bit concerned about the company I may be keeping eh? 012.gif

OK Thanks for understanding Guys

Now this is the final word on the matter from me

The work done on the car was done to make it functional and basic slot tuning. The Idea was not to tune it to improve it dramatically, specifically for a track or condition. The condition of the car previously was "Force Majeur" in my opinion so I took the steps to fix it. in other word it was undrivable.

At present Martin your car is still functional if lacking in some speed but handles fine . if the motor expires at some point you can replace it .

In the interests of tranparent event management I will list below the repairs/fixes that have been carried out to best of my foggy mind*

all repairs carried out after each round.

before series start

HMCsat- repair broken chassis with superglue

Oswald 900 replace front wheels

Round 1

Mc G168- spun pinion refixed with loctite chronic bounce attempted tire true

Manic 35 -Blown motor, stripped pinion replace motor and pinion. old lenny motor loaned till new one arrived.

Fangio - Car jumping out of lane found loose motor pod retained with washer added to screw.

Round 2

McG168- spun pinion repaired with solder. replaced tires and glued and trued to fix chronic bounce reworked ballast to make body fit chassis better.

Manic- fitted replacement motor, glued in

Beejay- chronic shudder under acceleration, glue motor to pod seems to have fixed shudder

Phil K - guide flag falling out , glue small plastic retaining collar to guide post.

Fangio- still jumping out of track and easy deslots replaced damaged guide flag remove small plastic from chassis..

Thats all I can remember at this stage.

* Too many Coopers in the 90's I'm afraid B)

Alan

I also think McG's car should be sent back to him. Can the organisers please send it back after it completes the last round of the proxy. Sending it back before it completes all rounds is not in the spirit of this competition.

Thanks

Paul

No sheep station here.
Now you see this has me a bit concerned. Is "Sheep Station" perhaps some Ozzy euphemism for "House of Ill Repute"? Coz I'm used to being on a Family Forum, and these kind of remarks have me a bit concerned about the company I may be keeping eh?

Hi Paul

House of ill repute?? Perhaps some of our south pacific cousins to the east of here may think so but no it's not. Your southern neighbours will know it as a sheep ranch I think. Only difference is some of ours are about the size of England.

Nothing worse than being rammed by an idiot in Marino while doing a ewey.*

*South Australian Joke

Hold on. YOU FIXED PHIL'S CAR AND IT GOT 1ST PLACE!!!!!!!

After all the money/beer/dancing girls I sent your way? Now that's taking things too far. I demand you unfix it before this weekends race. I don't care what was done on any of the other cars but helping someone who is already at the top of the pointscore is un Australian.

Make sure that they dont fleece ya!!!

Lets get on with the racing boys!!

south_1.jpg

Catchfence.jpg

Hold on. YOU FIXED PHIL'S CAR AND IT GOT 1ST PLACE!!!!!!!

After all the money/beer/dancing girls I sent your way? Now that's taking things too far. I demand you unfix it before this weekends race. I don't care what was done on any of the other cars but helping someone who is already at the top of the pointscore is un Australian.

I didn't see any of the bribe, sorry money, beer, dancing girls! Tthey must be at 6 pines still!!!

something your not disclosing here H????????? :rolleyes:

Lets get on with the racing boys!!

INDEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've wasted far too much time on you lot today I'M off to paint the picket fence!!!!

A

Edited by lenny broke

All you need to do is have a round on your track, fix your own car whilst it's there and let everyone know. Then stand back and watch the fireworks.

Do a Floyd Landis you reckon ?

Get absolutely smashed in the mountains and look totally spent, drop a heap of time to the new leader, only to recover overnight and become superman for the next 5 days and win by heaps.......

Beejay- chronic shudder under acceleration
Yeah but you don't understand - I have run his RAA cars for a couple of year on my track, and that's how they are. Frankly, it's a wonder he got his usual guide problems sorted out (probably had a word with Baden Powell or something).

By the way, aren't you lot supposed to be at work or something? :rolleyes: