terry

1/24 Mike Parkes F1 Ferrari

Such is the atmosphere with our 1/24 Vintage category that,especially in the F1 category a new feeling of "I gotta get the bastard" is now sweeping through the ranks.

Charless" Indy car is the one to get at ,and although this may not do it,its a good excuse to get another F1 car into the mix.

I had the chassis on the jig for ages,and at the risk of being told "you should have left it there" I finished it off this morning.

Body is from Patto and I'll start on thet tonight with fixing the decals to the inside of the clear body.

parkeschassis.jpg

frontendsetupparkes.jpg

I'll post more pics as I go along.

terry

Edited by terry

Hi Phil,

I'm not sure of the vintage of this but I got this idea from Steve O'Keefes site,some great stuff there!

Anyone who knows me understands that I've got a thing about wheels,I can never understand how someone can go to so much trouble to get their car to perform,new paint,decals,and then don't do anything about the wheels!

So here are mine for the ferrari,inserts from Patto,I'll get started on the body soon,but I had to get the wheels done first.

wheels.jpg

terry

Edited by terry

And if this one wont do it (beat Charles) then maybe another , and another....... I reckon F1 and indy cars of this era are hard to beat . So I hope you can get to do a few more Terry, even if this is a winner. I'll be looking hard at yer chassis, so I can attempt to copy it. Ope yer dont mind. Do you cut the wheel inserts at all ? Or are the darker parts painted? If painted, how do you mask ? Have a bunch of ?'s here still if yer dont mind ?

Cheers slo

"Me Auntie's a Jack !!!"

Your right Slo,if this doesn't work,then I'll do another one,thats what its all about isn't it?If you can get anything from what I do then by all means go right ahead,the inserts come vac formed from patto at $4.00 a set their a bargain.

Now Steve,the guide tongue..............firstly the Paxton guide tongue has been BOLTED into place,and the Ferrari one is very firmly soldered into place with the big 175 watter!Don't forget I was doing 7.6secs in practice for Friday nights race on black,so I'm hoping I won't be giving you lot that much advantage next time.

The FJ's are interesting,lots more grip but not too much quicker than the Classics,maybe a little extra ballast up front will improve them as the rear end has got plenty of grip but the front feels as though its a bit tippy.

Interesting times and we'll see how things pan out.

Lets see,4 weeks between now and next meet and about 7 weeks to the next F1 race,crikey I could have built 4 or 5 new F1's by then!

terry

Terry: As you may have noticed I fully agree about the wheel inserts,they make a car. I have spent several days just trying to make the correct inserts for the XY and XW. The ones with the cars have hub caps to I had to alter them! What period cars are you running, I must check I used to have an ALL STATE SPECIAL mould here it would make a great car for this series as it is so wide!

Phil

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

Phil,

F1 and Indy are up to 1969 (I think),Trans Am up to 1970 ,Stockers,and Fj's.

We also have just atarted running a Cox series,although I'm not sure if we are going to have too many runners in that class as who wants to go out and run a irreplaceable body which is now worth good dollars??

terry

Terry,

What body are you using, I still have a Champion (I think) 1/24 vacform at home in it's box but it may be a 'handling' version & not exact scale.

David B

Bods need to be true to scale for our series at Hornsby.

:whip2:

Tks. For those interested it is actually a Dynamic slimline body (handling) but has excellent detail & looks remarkably scale

Dave B

Hi Dave,thanks for the kind offer,we run,what we call "scale" bodies and I know that some of the 1/24 F1 bodies have been widened for ease of construction and handling purposes,pity because there are a few more varieties available from that lot thet we don't get in our range of "scale" bodies,would love to get a Brabham BT26,so I can put front and rear wings on.

BT26BIWING1969.jpg

Trouble with these "winged" cars is that marshalls don't know where to pick up the car!When I ran my Lotus49 last Friday night it created a problem because the marshalls were not sure if the wing would come free if they used the wing to pick the car up by,they need not have worried,the way that wing was put together the car would have destroyed itself before the wing had come loose!

terry

Edited by terry

parkesferraribodyfinished2.jpg

The weather has been a little wet over the last 7 days,certainly makes rattle can painting tricky!

However the Ferrari now has paint and Mike Parkes is ready to take his seat,just a few little bits to finish off and we are done,pity F1's at Hornsby are not running next up,still i will get a chance for some testing,that will make a nice change!

parkesferraribodyfinished1.jpg

terry

Edited by terry

Finished this morning.

S3010010.jpg

S3010007-1.jpg

Onto the next project!

terry

Edited by terry

Because I've now got another F1, does that mean I'm likely to multiply my chances of mechanical breakdown?

terry

:vomit:

Possibly, but I think it's more likely that you will have 2 good cars to choose from on the night.

B)

Steve K.