hoffy

Down Under Proxy Race Series 2007 - Rd 1

Reading the posts by people saying "great video" makes me envious- here I am sitting in front of a blank screen for the last 15 minutes waiting for the clip to download - and I'm on a 100 Mbps broadband connection! :)

The file is less than 1 MB If you have any more problems I could email it to you

Cheers

Thanks! Would greatly appreciate it if you could, mate. Right now am still staring at a blank screen. :lol:

Lim

I enjoy racing. Winning or losing is secondary.

The file is less than 1 MB If you have any more problems I could email it to you.
Oh I would sure appreciate that too ... it's paul@nsds.ca ... and if I find a boatload of spam at work tomorrow then I'll know where it came from, right? :)

Reading the posts by people saying "great video" makes me envious- here I am sitting in front of a blank screen for the last 15 minutes waiting for the clip to download - and I'm on a 100 Mbps broadband connection! :)

The file is less than 1 MB If you have any more problems I could email it to you

Cheers

Thanks! Would greatly appreciate it if you could, mate. Right now am still staring at a blank screen. :lol:

Ooops, forgot to give you my email address: chenglaw_lim@hotmail.com :lol:

Thanks,

Lim

Imkowl,

I think that Lenny and Hoffy are gentlemen for not mentioning my run of bad luck. I might be able to hire out my services as the ultimate test driver. If I cant break a car then it cant be broken. Spun pinion (two from memory) I was driving the cars. Braid came off, me again. Blown motor, yes I was driving it. Loose wheel, me again. I always thought I had a smooth conservative approach. Go figure?? In my defence I was I green lane which meant that cars that were getting to me had already raced on three lanes. Luckily the problems I had meant that the cars could be fixed without losing too much time as I was the last lane before then got rotated out.

Phil,

great car. You almost had to try and deslot this car. It was smooth and very forgiving to drive. Not the fastest in a straight line but because it was so smooth you could apply the power very early and keep the speed very high in the corners. Youre lucky to be getting this car back as I wanted to keep it.

SP,

Most drivers loved this car but it didnt suit my driving style (or lack of it). Dont get me wrong still a very good car to drive but it was a bit tippy on the limit for me so I had to drive it a bit more conservative than Phils. Faster than Phils so they ended up very close in performance for different reasons.

Chenglaw,

Now this was the sleeper in the pack. Looking at it you would have thought , NO WAY. Once on the track however it was just a great little car to drive. Nicely balanced, only weighed 78g so the punch out of corners was great. Just a little chatter on the limit. I put that down to the very short wheelbase. 5-10 grams of lead in this little car and I think it would be a real rocket.

DD & Old Slot,

I gather this was a case of collaboration, just like Toll and HSV? Both cars lacked outright pace but were so well balanced that you had to try and deslot them. One had slightly more brakes the other slightly more top end which I put down to the different gear ratios. Real nice to drive.

The rest of the cars Im struggling to remember as they are all a blur. However just some general comments. I dont race with an electronic controller, just a 25ohm parma turbo. So some of the hot motors were a real handful to control and considering Hoffy's track is a smooth power track some of the cars are going to be real handfuls on the tighter tracks. Use Loctite 290 wick-in on your pinions and spur gears. Grind flat spots onto your axles so the grub screws can bite in better and then loctite them in. Glue the tyres on and make sure they have clearance so that they dont bind on the chassis or body work. I recall one had the front tyres binding on the chassis and onother the rear tyres had moved on the rim and were binding on the inside of the chassis. Which two I cant recall. All a bit of a blur now. Make sure your guide is able to rotate freely. Put a tiny amount of silastic on your body srews or at leat put take over the holes to that the track owner doesnt end up with a collection of assorted screws by the end of the the night.

Great fun, glad I helped Hoffy out.

cheers

rick1776

cheers

rick1776

Yeah just some great feedback from Rick there ... I don't think I would have wanted to try and drive the Bingle O'Nuttin Flunder with a 25ohm controller either, on any track. :whip2:

I had the impression going into the DUPR this year that a few kilos of lead would maybe help (I know nothing about running rubber tires really) but I must admit I ripped a bit out in final tuning ... also I gather that I'm one of the idiots who had a wheel come loose; my own fault entirely as I do polish my axles but usually flatten the ends afterward and use Loctite on the setscrews as well. This time I was in a hurry, and also couldn't find the Loctite. Still haven't, I think the cat must be playing with it. B)

I wouldn't mind knowing what kind of times that orange beast was managing at the times when it was screwed together right and running well around the circuit. Seeing the video clip of cars belting around the Six Pines when I was at work today was a treat, what a nice fast flowing track! :)

My bet for eventual winner right now? That Chenglaw entry ... clearly a very balanced car, particularly in terms of power to weight to grip ratio. And I get the impression you would have to be some kind of an idiot to crash it (shut up Martin). B)

Thanks for the feedback, Rick. Good to know the little Lola is behaving herself - at least she's not having a little something on the side which would have affected her performance. :whip2: I have already added lead to both sides of the chassis (pulled from my Tassie Targa Lister Jag - courtesy of Phil) and a slab of melted solder on the centre of the chassis. Sounds like I should have added a little bit more to cut off the chatter on the limit, but guess it will have to do for this series. B) Thanks to all the guys who drove the cars - real good job!!! : :)

Lim

Just had a look at the lap by lap results (in the other thread) and it makes for interesting reading. Sorry SP it looks like I may have cost you the win :whip2: . Like I mentioned before I couldnt quite come to grips with the setup on your car, even though most others loved it. Hence I had to drive a lot more conservatively than the other guys. I drove on green (heat4). Dennis drove it on green heat 8 and obviously got the max out of it. However Dennis has been around since Moses was a young boy and I think that his ability to drive around cars that are a little off in the handling department is better than my ability. Having said that I was able to squeeze 21 laps out of Fangio's Lola which if my memory serves me right was wheel standing on the main straight. I applied the power very slowly on this one just to keep it in the slot.

Mr magoo I think yours was the car that had the braid come out. B) That happened on lap 15 so it probably cost you about 5-8 laps, which would have put you right up there at the pointy end.

Hoffy correct me if Im wrong but is green the slowest lane on your track? If it is then I did an OK job as I was trying to be conservative and not come out of the slot too often in an attempt to stay on terms with Blue and Red lanes. If its the fastest lane then shoot me as I was crap on the night and should have loaded up big time on coffee and coke (err the legally registered trademark coke). Although the threat of random drug testing after the event did deter me. Although Steve did insist on driving with the garage door open to keep his Nicotine intake going through the night.

cheers

rick1776

cheers

rick1776

Yes, you are correct, for most drivers green is probably 1 to 2 tenths slower then the other lanes

south_1.jpg

Catchfence.jpg

Any chance my car was accidently left on green all night?. That could account for a couple of the missing laps but perhaps not all 22 of them.....

Rick, thanks for the feedback. Very, very interesting and backs up my feelings about my entry.

When I built the Lola I tested it on a Scalex classic track and it was very quick in a straight line, too powerful on the corners but lots of fun to race at 9/10ths. My Fly 908 (with standard motor) was about 3/10ths of a second quicker but after all the effort to build the Lola there was no-way I wasn't going to enter it in the proxy. I'm more surprised than anyone that it did so well.

May the downforce be with you.

These comments certainly indicate that Proxy cars need to be easy to drive so that all the drivers can get the best out of the car. I have seen some cars be laps ahead on certain lanes with the best driver and still end up down the field because some of the other drivers could not get used to the car in a short time. Remember these drivers only have a few laps to get the feel of the cars before racing.

Phil

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

Or you could build something with the biggest motor you can find, gear it so it accelerates like a scalded cat, weigh it down like a housebrick and balance it so all 4 wheels take the weight. Then hope the track has lots of flowing corners, nice long straights and lots of good drivers get to run it. Works for me.

This is my car before I added the lead. Lots of work done to get the slot-it cradle matched to the Fly chassis but well worth it.

dscf0022wb1.jpg

Edited by Sports Racer

May the downforce be with you.

Hi All

Sorry I haven't posted before now but things in the 1:1 world needed attention so got in the way of the real world.

First up I'd like to say thanks to a number of people

Hoffy for his enthusiastic support and help in the lead up to the series start.

also for his efforts with the website.

the drivers for there efforts on the night. no matter how bad they thought a car was they still drove it like they stole it. :( oops I meant to say they drove them in a manner that ensured that the cars were in good shape at the end of the race.

You guy's, the entrants for trusting your little cars to complete strangers to race in a place along way from home.

To Rick

I think that Lenny and Hoffy are gentlemen for not mentioning my run of bad luck.

We didn't have to do anything, you did it for us :o

To Phil And Lim

I certainly didn't think you were whinging at all as I would have asked the question too, if I wasn't there. I thought about the problem for a while and felt that the solution was the best one.

I think that Rick has said nearly all about the cars, however I will post comments when I have a chance to sit and think about them in the next day or so.

On a personal note it was great to meet and race with Rick and Triggy on the weekend as I hadn't met them before.

It was also great to meet up with Dennis again after some ten years or so. Dennis is a former national champ in the wing car field and a real thinking persons slot racer. very knowledgeble a top racer and he's a good bloke to go with it

any way I've rabbited on long enough, so I'll get out ya way now

Cheers Alan

Edited by lenny broke

The rest of the cars Im struggling to remember as they are all a blur. However just some general comments. I dont race with an electronic controller, just a 25ohm parma turbo. So some of the hot motors were a real handful to control and considering Hoffy's track is a smooth power track some of the cars are going to be real handfuls on the tighter tracks. Use Loctite 290 wick-in on your pinions and spur gears. Grind flat spots onto your axles so the grub screws can bite in better and then loctite them in. Glue the tyres on and make sure they have clearance so that they dont bind on the chassis or body work. I recall one had the front tyres binding on the chassis and onother the rear tyres had moved on the rim and were binding on the inside of the chassis. Which two I cant recall. All a bit of a blur now. Make sure your guide is able to rotate freely. Put a tiny amount of silastic on your body srews or at leat put take over the holes to that the track owner doesnt end up with a collection of assorted screws by the end of the the night.

cheers

rick1776

I just wanted to thank Rick for these comments, this is really informative. It all makes complete sense but I simply did not do a lot of this to my car. The advice about grinding axles for more bite and loctite on the pinion and spur is especially useful, I did wonder how these would hold up over the series without some sort of help, I wondered and then did nothing about it. One thing I do know for certain is that my car is not one of the entrants sporting a hot motor, is there a prize for least powerful?, so hopefully the stresses on components will be less or even non existent.

Antony

One thing that I can comment on about your car, is its motor Antony. Even though its not a hotty, its not a dead motor either. A lot of people were very suprised on how well your car actually went down the straight. I think that this is part of the thing with SCX. Sometimes they are dogs...sometimes they are rockets. I think that you have a rocket!!!

south_1.jpg

Catchfence.jpg

One thing that I can comment on about your car, is its motor Antony. Even though its not a hotty, its not a dead motor either. A lot of people were very suprised on how well your car actually went down the straight. I think that this is part of the thing with SCX. Sometimes they are dogs...sometimes they are rockets. I think that you have a rocket!!!

Thanks for letting me know Ashley. The motor is the all singing, all dancing new SCX Pro Speed and supposedly good for 23k at 14v but initial feedback from Alan when he tested the car did seem to hint that it was not up to speed which gave me an excellent excuse for the car lanquishing down at the back. It now sounds more like the handling is at fault which I can only blame on myself!. Ho hum.

You guy's, the entrants for trusting your little cars to complete strangers to race in a place along way from home.
Oh, you lads aren't that strange, you just talk funny ... :sleep2:

The motor is the all singing, all dancing new SCX Pro Speed and supposedly good for 23k at 14v but initial feedback from Alan when he tested the car did seem to hint that it was not up to speed which gave me an excellent excuse for the car lanquishing down at the back.
These SCX motors all seem to need a good run in period (a lot of racers will give them an hour or two running in a glass of water at 3 volts to accelerate the process - you then immerse them in Isopropyl Alcohol and run them some more to dry them out). Then they go gangbusters, especially if geared a bit higher; the brakes are superb. :huh: