Down Under Proxy Race Series 2007 - Rd 1

hoffy

Morning all,

4.636 is a damn fast DAMN FAST lap on my track. Looking at last years qualifying results, Smokeio did a 4.835 to get pole. This years Pole sitter, Beejay did a 4.988 for last years race.

It looks like some of you guys have learnt a thing or two

Edited by hoffy

south_1.jpg

Catchfence.jpg

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done lenny and hoffy and thanks very much. I am very, very surprised to see the Ferrari that far up the grid, did someone fit a qualifying engine?.

It was interesting indeed.

The track is the grippiest I have ever seen. Usually within our club, the standard "Default" tyre is your standard Ninco slick....After a quite a few laps on the Blue lane with cars shod with P3's, Ortmans or MJK's, this place has rubbered up something cronic. I have noticed that anything with an Ortman on it (I.E, yours & Chenglaws) have really responded well. I have also noticed that some of the cars with heaps of grunt (I.E, Beejays & Wet coast) have become a lot more drivable

south_1.jpg

Catchfence.jpg

I can't complain. 3rd spot is pretty good, especially in this group. Now if only my car holds together.

Thanks guys for running this event and giving us all a great running commentary, and that picture looks awesome! Going to be my new wallpaper.

May the downforce be with you.

Good uh morning, Hoffy!

Nothing gives you quite the same perspective on time zone differences as international proxy racing. For instance, here on the west coast of north america it's about 4:37pm Friday. For BeeJay in England that would be 12:37am Saturday so he's probably asleep. To look at it another way, as an F1 fan I always enjoy the Melbourne race as I get to watch it live with a beer on Saturday night instead of videotaped in the small hours with a coffee on Sunday morning!

4.636 is a damn fast DAMN FAST lap on my track. Looking at last years qualifying results, Smokeio did a 4.835 to get pole. This years Pole sitter, Beejay did a 4.988 for last years race.
Having hosted rounds of the Race Across America in 2005 & 2006, I have noticed just the same thing. You think you have made great leaps forward with your own builds (which you probably have) only to discover the other blokes out there have been working just as assiduously on their cars. I have enjoyed running BeeJay's cars here; Smokeio's AWD Audi holds the track record at the Wet Coast Raceway, being the only car to crack the 8 second barrier on my 79' wood circuit.

The track is the grippiest I have ever seen. Usually within our club, the standard "Default" tyre is your standard Ninco slick....After a quite a few laps on the Blue lane with cars shod with P3's, Ortmans or MJK's, this place has rubbered up something chronic.
This whole experience of racing down under has been an eye opener for me. For the most part, silicones have tended to rule in the RAA and I would be reluctant to try anything else if trying for absolute best time on my circuit. In last year's Auslot I tried Ortmanns on my Porsche GT, but they took so much sanding to get them true that the spur gear was catching on some of the rails and magnabraid, not very clever. This year I decided, just based on studying last year's Auslot form, to go with Slot.it P3s; and to be honest, that orange Flunder of mine was a real bloody handful on the home circuit, sliding all over the place and unable to get under 11 seconds.

I have also noticed that some of the cars with heaps of grunt (I.E, Beejays & Wet coast) have become a lot more drivable.
I know that Terry Noe tried P3s on his 908 as well (he has a beauty of a wood track in Iowa) and was so disappointed in the times he was getting that he switched to NSR rubber on that Gulf 908 of his. Now I suspect he wishes he had stuck with the P3s ... he knows how to put a proxy car together without a doubt. The whole difference is obviously in how well rubbered in the track gets. Do you remember how last year, one entrant (I think inadvertently) fielded a car with silicones and it was spoiling the track surfaces for the cars that followed?

There are so many enjoyments and advantages to Proxy Racing, but without a doubt the best of them is how fast you can accelerate your own learning curve in how to build a car for conditions.

I have never been more pleased with the results that proxy racers have extracted from one of my cars than what you fellas have managed with my entry in this series, I have been patting myself on the back all day! :aussie:

Edited by Wet Coast Racer

Congratulations to everyone, what a great field and well organised. Been watching with interest on how all these series work.

What does worry me is Devious Dave and Oldslot along side each other on the grid. Looks a bit suss to me :aussie:

Flipside

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Well. its race night tonight. We are due to kick off in about 2 hours. Now, I cannot promise that I will give you much of a report tonight, but I will try & post if I can.

Good luck to all those who have entered cars

Cheers

south_1.jpg

Catchfence.jpg

SR,

Unless that bribe you offered me clears into my account in the next hour or so Im afraid I will be forced to race your car on all the lanes all night. That would be a waste of a very fast car :aussie:

LOL only joking.

cheers

rick1776

cheers

rick1776

Hoffy: Do you think any of use think you should sleep BEFORE giving us a report!

I can remember sitting up watching one of the WPR rounds from the US starting at 3 am. SUBDUDE had set up a web cam for the event!

Phil

I know it's too late to do anything about this first round, but how about setting up a webcam for some live streaming of the action for the remaining rounds? :aussie: It'll give those of us in a different time zone a reason to stay awake. Although in my case, we're just about 3 hours behind. :) I'm sure a lot of us would like to see how our little cars are performing. :D

Lim

I enjoy racing. Winning or losing is secondary.

Rick, cheque should have cleared by now. It was only 20c you rated your talent at? :aussie: Please be kind to my car, it has a long way to go.

Hope you guys are having a ball racing tonight. I know it's a long night but it's all worth it and there's a lot of people all around the world who appreciate what you are doing.

Cheers

Paul

& the results are in.

Results are to the closest lap....

1 Phil Kalbfel / Phil k McLaren M12 187 8 ( 04.637)

2 Sport Racer / Sport Racer Lola t70 187 8 ( 04.653)

3 Chenglaw / Chenglaw Lola T290 184 8 ( 04.667)

4 BEEJAY / Beejay Porsche 908 182 8 ( 04.735)

5 Devious Dave / Devious Dave Porsche 917 182 8 ( 04.855)

6 Old Slot / Old Slot Porsche 917LH 181 8 ( 04.859)

7 Terry Noe / Terry Noe Porsche 908/3 180 8 ( 04.790)

8 Peten95 / Peten95 Chevron B19/21 178 8 ( 04.778)

9 Ashley Hoff / Hoffy GT40 176 8 ( 04.781)

10 Mr Magoo / Mr Magoo Lola t70 176 8 ( 04.792)

11 Lenny Broke / Lenny Broke Ferarri 250lm 176 8 ( 04.824)

12 Wet Coast Racer / Wet Coast Porsche 908 173 8 ( 04.864)

13 Daisy Slots / Daisy Slot Porsche 908 172 8 ( 04.821)

14 Sidecar Steve / Sidecar Steve Lola T70 171 8 ( 04.772)

15 Son of Sidecar / Son Of Sidecar GT40 170 8 ( 04.976)

16 Phoenio / Phoenio Porsche 908/3 169 8 ( 05.053)

17 Hmcsat / HMCsat ferrari 169 8 ( 05.190)

18 Steve Stewart / Steve STweart Loal t70 168 8 ( 05.066)

19 Oswald / Oswald Ferarri 512s CL 167 8 ( 04.938)

20 Rhys Filbee / Rhys Philbee Lola t70 167 8 ( 05.115)

21 Antony / Atony Ferrair 330p 165 8 ( 04.884)

22 Fangio / Fangio Lola t70 164 8 ( 04.939)

23 McGregor / McGregor Porsche 917 153 8 ( 05.284)

24 Manic35 / Manic35 Porsche 917k 110 8 ( 05.265)

Looks like its going to be a fun series.

I'm feeling a bit off, so I will fill you in on it all tomorrow

Cheers

south_1.jpg

Catchfence.jpg

Thanks guys for doing so well with my little car, looks like you all do know how to drive. :whip:

Rick, I knew I should have paid you more to do better, 30 cents next time? Must have been quite a race. Well done guys.

And congrats Hoffy for your 1000 th post.

Paul

Edited by Sports Racer

Morning all,

Well, it wa a realitively successful night. MOST of the cars made it through unscathed, except for 2.

A ) McGregors car has a slipping pinion.

B ) Manic95......You dont have any 1st round luck....... After doing a descretionary Pinioin change prior to starting the racing (we thought that all cars should have a chance to at least make it to the start line!!!), the motor has burnt out.

Either Alan or myself will send out PM's to both parties to see what they would like done

There were some other cars with some minor issues (such as loose wheels & dropped braids), that we deemed fixable between heats. (this would also account for some missed laps) As I have had to go to work this morning (lucky me), I dont have my notes with me to fill you guys in, so these details will come later.

Also, congrats to Phil & Sports Racer. The thing that set these 2 apart from the rest of the field was their smoothness & out right pace in all places on the track. They had the power, but they could really be booted out of the corners.

As always, a proxy race is an interesting exercise. While I did the qualifying on Friday night, I actually didn't do any of the racing. This has produced some interesting comments (& ultimately results). I will just comment on a few of the cars:

Fangio - While it was possible to get a very good lap out of this car, it had some massive deslotting issues during the night. At one stage we had the thing Wheel stand (YES WHEEL STAND) out of the slot on the start line. Unfortunately, it was very hard for the guys to get consistant laps out of this car.

Wet Coast - As expected, this car was exciting to drive with the team...maybe a little too exciting. In the right hands the thin was a rocket. With some of our other drivers, the thing was a handful

Devious Dave & Oldslot - I am going to group these 2 together, as they just about did everything exactly the same during the night. The cars, while lacking outright speed, just kept going round & round & round.

Mr Magoo - This car lost a braid close to the end of its 4th heat (out of 8) & it ultimately effected its finishing position. But for a first time Proxy entrant (& you guys run magnets dont you??), the car was very commendable. Again, another car that was silky smooth & just kept going around & around.

OK, these cars are the first that spring to mind. Out of the forums last night, we had Lenny, Triggy, Rick & Wayne (sorry Wayne, cant remember your online name) help with the driving. Hopefully some of these guys will be able to give their thoughts as well

cheers

Edited by hoffy

south_1.jpg

Catchfence.jpg

Thanks to all involved and congratulations to those at the top of the leaderboard.

Looks like the Ferrari is firmly where I suspected it should be and would actually be last if the three behind hadn't had mechanical problems!. If only I had listened to advice and persevered with mounting an NC5, mind you I am sure it isn't all the engines fault, if the car was handling well surely it would get some more laps through consistency. Oh well, you live and learn and there is always next time

Well done guys! :whip: Nice to see the Lola narrowly edged out my son's GT40....

Just out of interest, how long did it take you to get through the whole event?

Not having done this before, am I right in interpreting the results as laps completed, heats and best time? If so my Lola's laptime was 5th fastest overall which ain't bad considering I fitted the wrong motor! Probably more power would have made it less drivable and more "tippy" :wub:

This is like attending Open University for a Degree in Slotcar building. I'll be a definite starter for DUPR2008!

cheers!

Steve

TBDR.jpg

We started at around 7:30 & I think we finished at around 11. Considering that we ran 48 heats with practice laps in between, thats not too bad at all.(this year I used different software, which in itself threw up some different challanges, but it made the whole running & admin side of the night much quicker).

south_1.jpg

Catchfence.jpg

This is like attending Open University for a Degree in Slotcar building. I'll be a definite starter for DUPR2008!
Exactly!

I have been in a few proxy series, and this is one of the best.

For those who wondered why I didn't just clean everybody's clock, Hoffy reports on a different forum that apparently I had a screw loose - can you believe it?

Eagle.gif

Thanks to all involved in this event,I know how much effort Hoffy and Lenny have put into this. I takes a lot of work. Having driven some of Beejays and Lims cars it is good to see them up the pointy end,and Sports racers car was good to drive last year down here so he is no surprise. I think we have all gained some knowledge from last year and tried to prepare our cars to suit tracks other than out own.

thanks again and come on Round two.

Phil