Bring Back Nc1 Based Cars

Perro

Gidday Guys,

Over the years I have noticed Ninco's reluctance to start a new model of car based on the NC1 motor. Apart from re-issues of the Classic range of sports cars all new releases have been with NC2, NC5, NC6 etc. Ninco's reputation was built on the NC1 and in fact many, many of their cars are still converted by the end users back to NC1 powered motors which are ideal for home track use rather than the over powered for home use anyway larger canned motors. I feel the influence of the European based club tracks where the tracks can have running lengths of 50metres and straights (straight aways) of over 10metres have caused Ninco to go down this track of larger canned more powerful motors to the detriment of the much broader based home track user.

Ask any user of Ninco cars form days gone by and they will tell you the best cars produced as far as drivability is concerned are the earlier models such as the Alfa 155, Opel Calibra, CLK Mercedes, Meganes, Corollas, Peugot 206's etc. They also originally came without any traction magnet fitted and then later on with a very mild but excellently balanced ferrous magnet that helped keep the guide in the slot but still allowed massive slides if so desired. Just take a look at your after market sales. Our local suppliers have only ever had orders placed for NC1 motors. The motors have been used to replace brand new NC2's in most cases and not to replace worn out NC1's. The issue here of course is the increased cost of refitment to the NC1 power and retuning the car mainly involving the traction magnet. When a NC1 is fitted as a replacement motor over a NC2 etc the original fit neodium button magnet is far too strong for the NC1 to run without damage. To retrofit one of the older style ferrous magnets requires the use of a dremmel type of tool to remove the button magnet housing so that the larger ferrous bar magnet can be located in the cars chassis pan. All this extra work would be alleviated if Ninco reverted back to desining NC1 type cars every now and again and also made use of the original motor carriers from their early days in production that allowed either the large canned motors (NC2) or small canned motors (NC1) to be fitted in the same space.

Two cars that benefit greatly from the motor change are the AC Cobra and the Healeys. Having NC2 motors fitted to these cars was a ludicrous design. Up until then all the comparable Classic car range had been with NC1 motors and this not only made these two cars incomparable with those that it should have run against, it also made the cars with skinny little wheels and relatively high centres of gravity almost undrivable.

Don't get me wrong here. I still think Ninco produce a very balanced and driveable car but their earlier cars were more fun and better balanced for the home user when they designed the cars and utilised NC1 powered motors. I have well over 100 Ninco cars and my track at home is a 45metre 4 lane Ninco track so I am coming at this from a fairly well experienced perspective but also from one as being the voice of many frustrated end users who would greatly appreciate Ninco's efforts in future designs for their cars that utilise NC1 power and the old ferrous type mild magnets from early releases.

I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say in regards to this matter.

Perro

I agree with all you have said here Perro. I have been buying Ninco cars from the Mercedes C klass touring car and have a couple of Mclaren F1 GTR's being the Harrods and the Gulf both with NC1 motors. I also have a Porsche 911 GT1 with NC1 and have as you said converted my Cobra to NC1 to race in our classic class.

As I said in the another topic I have recently converted my Ninco Indy car from NC5 to NC1 to race in our standard Racing class. Surprisingly it is quicker than my Ninco Arrows with Slotit Boxer motor and rear end as the Arrows wheelspins everywhere.

Since I started racing this year I have found the NC1 to be very popular although they don't like low voltages and lag rather badly when racing Scalextric engined cars. The Ninco handling generally closes the gap when the correct voltage is used.

Perro,

You're spot-on about the NC-2's in Cobra and Austin Healey's being a very strange decision. IMHO, those cars are slower than the NC-1 cars because they're overpowered and difficult to drive smoothly. On the other hand, NC-1 Classics with a little weight and tuning are very enjoyable drives capable of being driven very fast. The recent Willmot NC-1 Classic series illustrated how well designed these cars are.

Another thread elsewhere on the board also comments about the Cobra in standard form being difficult to drive, in particular problems with getting power down smoothly. Hopefully, Ninco will revert to NC-1's in future Classics.

Where the NC-2 is a great motor is in the original F1 cars like the Ferrari. To my mind that car is one of the best balanced race cars ever made. The combination of standard magnet, motor chassis and tyres works beautifully.

When Ninco get it right, they make some terrific cars.

Cheers

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't

Two cars that benefit greatly from the motor change are the AC Cobra and the Healeys. Having NC2 motors fitted to these cars was a ludicrous design. Up until then all the comparable Classic car range had been with NC1 motors and this not only made these two cars incomparable with those that it should have run against, it also made the cars with skinny little wheels and relatively high centres of gravity almost undrivable.

Spot on Perro. My Cobra is an extremely frustrating car to drive. The tyres are an absolute joke. :P

Unfortunately for Ninco, I have found MRRC a much better package, so I have bought two of their Cobras instead. They have grippy, fat tyres, the motor is strong but controllable and the car itself looks great. :D

These types of stuff ups from Ninco do not endear them to new buyers. After my first effort with Carrera, I am very reluctant to buy another one. The car was a complete waste of money. Whilst the body looks sensational, the chassis, soldering and tyres were dreadful. :angry::angry::angry:

Maybe someone from these companies will read this and realise we don't have to like eveything they serve up and if they produce crap, we won't buy it. If the Ninco AC Cobra were a 1:1 car, it would be up there with the Camira and the P76.

Thanks,

Dave

"I spent most of my money on beer, women and slot cars. The rest I just wasted."