Slot.it Mclaren F1 Gtr Goodwood

Vinno

SLOT.IT McLaren F1 GTR Goodwood

Car courtesy of Armchair Racer

slot.itgoodmac01.jpg

There are many cars on slotter’s wish lists but this particular model would have to be the one I have read the most requests for over the years. This particular version of the Long tail McLaren F1 GTR is a replica of the car paraded at the Good wood Festival of Speed in 2005. This particular car is a race car converted to a street car.

The Long Tail McLaren was a race car first, built to answer the growing list of manufacturers with purpose built race cars like the Mercedes CLK GTR and Porsche 911 GT1. The short tail version, first raced in 1995, was conceived after Gordon Murray was convinced that the McLaren Road Car would make an excellent race car. It raced in the newly formed “BPR Global GT Seriesâ€Â. The series became the “FIA GT Championship†in 1997 and major changes to the premier GT1 class resulted. McLaren had to react to stay competitive and the Long Tail was born. A total of ten Long Tail GTRs were built, with none of the previous cars being upgraded to the 1997-spec. McLaren was forced to build three production cars using the GTR '97's bodywork. These cars became known as the F1 GT, of which only three were built. The 1997-spec cars are commonly referred to as the "Long Tail" version due to their stretched bodywork, most noticeably in the rear. From the information I have been able to find, it is unclear which of the chassis this particular car originated from.

slot.itgoodmac02.jpg

The Slot.it version is a faithful rendition minus two black ducts on the sides of the nose in front of the front wheels. The proportions of the car look spot on. The McLaren Orange if faithfully reproduced although it does not show up as well in the photographs I have taken.

slot.itgoodmac03.jpg

The body of the car is made up of a one piece nose and roof section with the sides between the wheel arches and rear bar under the rear wing being separate pieces attached by tabs and plastic welded together. As is expected of Slot.it the detail is very fine, the pictures not doing the car justice. Due to the length of the car a full cockpit is fitted even though the motor is fitted inline.

The wheels are the larger diameter 17mm X 10mm aluminium rears and 17mm X 8mm plastic fronts. This gives the car an accurate look along with the new inserts replicating the 1 to 1 car. The tyres appear to be a P series compound as they have considerably better traction than the generic tyres fitted to recent releases.

slot.itgoodmac04.jpg

So how does she run? A quick lube and check to make sure all was tight and onto the track. Once the track was clean the car quickly became the quickest runner. Being a wood track, the car was run minus magnetic down force which is the way these Slot.it’s have been designed. I cannot recall a better balanced slot car out of the box. Bo’s new Warwick Farm track has some great left right esses and this car just flowed through them. Very little tail out action and it launched rapidly to the next corner. It really looked great the way it cornered and was surprising considering the fact weight is normally required to get the best from a car non magnet.

slot.itgoodmac05.jpg

This chassis picture shows the offset motor mount and crown gear. Slot.it seem to have changed the gearing now as they have gone for the more standard 9 tooth pinion and 27 tooth crown gear as apposed to the 28 tooth used with the old 25,000 rpm V12 motor. As with all new Slot.it cars the motor fitted is the new generation 21,500 rpm high torque motor. As is usual with Slot.it cars, the motor cables are routed along the chassis. This helps to keep the guide self centering when coming off the track. The car weighed in at 77 grams.

The front axle has the height adjusting caps mounted to posts on the chassis as has been the norm for a while now. These seem better set up than recent releases as the axle play was just perfect. The front wheels spun easily as opposed to the previous tight axle mounting on some models.

As is usual now for Slot.it the car also comes with a set of Silicone tyres. These will come in handy for those who allow Silicone tyres on their tracks.

The only changes I did make to the car setup was to round off the square shoulders of the rear tyres and loosen the motor mount screws to give the car some float. I would normally loosen the body screws a half turn or so but with Slot.it’s set up on the rear end loosening the cradle is a no brainer.

slot.itgoodmac06.jpg

As a matter of interest I photographed the car from above next to a Ninco McLaren F1 GTR. The Ninco car still looks good but is noticeably wide when compared to the Slot.it car which is more to scale.

In conclusion I recommend rushing down to your local Slot.it dealer on May the 10th and pick up one of these cars before they are sold out. You won’t be disappointed.

Thanks for the great review Vinno. Well done and nice photo's too !

In conclusion I recommend rushing down to your local Slot.it dealer on May the 10th and pick up one of these cars before they are sold out. You won’t be disappointed.

I will !!

JamieB

ITeLECTRICAL

Check out my Current logoEbay_x45.gif Auctions

Nice review Vinno, mine is ordered and will be here next week. Been waiting for this for a long time, now bring on the livery versions!!

2 x australian ego champion

regards

Shane

Fulel racing in first track build --> https://youtu.be/nG1EyFkbJSs

My second track build --> 

raceday - https://youtu.be/8WXYQ528iKM

FINALLY!!! Been waiting for a new Slot.it to be released for what seems the entire year to date. :nice: :lol:

Great to hear it runs well on the track although I've come to expect nothing less from Slot.it.

Looks excellent, the orange is a little darker than I had expected.

THAT DID IT VINNO . . . . it's YOUR fault, and I'm telling the missus on you. You MADE me order a pair.

All that remains to be seen now is how they track against the R8C on wood and plastic. Any thoughts on that one yet?

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

THAT DID IT VINNO . . . . it's YOUR fault, and I'm telling the missus on you. You MADE me order a pair.

All that remains to be seen now is how they track against the R8C on wood and plastic. Any thoughts on that one yet?

I think the McLaren handles better. The Audi seems to have too low a centre of gravity standard and needed some work to get the best out of it. The later model Slot.it's have a deeper guide than the Audis and early Porsches so work better with no weight. Out of the box I think the McLaren is the best handler made by Slot.it on wood.

my Audi must be a freak, a lot faster and sweeter to drive than my other Slot it's. Will know next week how the Mclaren goes, but until now the Audi is the only car I have that has done an 11.0.. on my track :nice:

Edited by gref

2 x australian ego champion

regards

Shane

Fulel racing in first track build --> https://youtu.be/nG1EyFkbJSs

My second track build --> 

raceday - https://youtu.be/8WXYQ528iKM

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of an update on how the car runs now it has run on wood and plastic.

My track Emu Park, is quite twisty and also a low tyre wear style Flat painted surface track, has proved no different to my original suspicion, that this car is the fastest box stock Slot.it to date. This is of course non magnet.

Last night I gave the car a couple of laps on Joe's Scalextric Classic track we had a meeting at last night and found the car just as good there. Within four laps I was doing 6.9 second laps which is not far off the faster of our open class cars that were racing last night. I have now added 8 grams of lead to the side pans of the chassis alongside the motor but nothing else.

Bring on the race liveries. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have now given mine the "basic treatment" and run a decent number of laps on Ninco track - with magnet.

The first night I had used it, I was only getting similar lap times to my R8C and fractionally faster than my slot.it Nissan 390, but last night I sucked nearly half a second off a 6 second lap record. Maybe it was a freak lap, but I ran at least 2/10ths faster than the Audi lap after lap, and mostly 3/10ths faster.

I measured the downforce, and it is pretty high in stock form, but I had also rigged the Nissan with a 2nd magnet just for "laboratory purposes", so even with the motor pod loosened right up, it still had 20% more downforce than the McLaren which is stock, and the McLaren has only slightly more than the Audi - also stock. I still couldn't get the Nissan anywhere near close to the McLaren, despite similar weight, wheelbase, track and identical weight.

There is beggar all difference in centre of height/centre of gravity, so the McLaren has me shaking my head at the performance.

Despite the magnet, I was able to hang the tail out a few times and keep it in the slot, so it really is a very well balanced car.

I bought 2, and the other one has gone to "a good home" in our club, so it will be interesting when the other driver pulls his 'weapon' out of the holster.

Maybe it is the loss of weight after I "surgically removed" the mirrors on our safety wall.

Edited by SlotsNZ

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

• 4 weeks later...

hi guys,

just to let you know this is my first post so thought i would introduce myself. i am a kiwi living in america and will be returning to new zealand around september, raced these things as a kid and liked it of course and looked on ebay one day :) anyway one thing led to another,wanted some parts to hop up one of my purchases and ended up working in a model shop (go figure).......Depending on wether or not you have any self control that can EITHER be a good thing or a bad thing!.....ANYWAY wifey said i can spend what i earn, so needless to say that's excactly what i have concentrated on, some one too many cars later.....a four lane track in the basement........well the rest is history, so when i get back to NZ ill be looking for people to race with.........was introduced to this forum by slotsnz and hope to make a few mates while on here!

back to the topic just got one of these MCLARENS but have no one to race against for the next four weeks (just coming into summer so its vacation time) :) so guess i better go break it in downstairs! i also have a nissan and a lancia, just making a comparison between the mclaren and the nissan........as the nissan is way faster than the lancia with a similar set up.......

some differences to note, which could equate to better performance.

1) narrower rear track on the mclaren,better cornering?

2)my edition has an orange endbell, nissan has a grey one (any difference?)...i have seen the (nissan 22 car) with an orange end bell)

3) the mclaren has smaller overall diameter rear wheels, (going back to rc days)on a track with short straights this will equal better acceleration,(the roll out will be different) and better use of the rpm of the motor=sweet spot. but seeing i dont know what the motor is yet that could be an advantage or a disadvantage. roll out is a term when you divide the pinion by the spur gear and multiply by the diameter of the tire...something like that, all i know is that with slotties (and rc)if the tire is smaller it will accelerate quicker but have a slower top speed if all other variabales are the same.e.g motor rpm

4) the nissan came with a standard magnet and i replaced it with what i refer to as the h magnet which means the magnet is flush with the motor pod and fills up those two holes on the motor mount/pod. the mclaren comes with one of these magnets as standard and it looks a bit bigger than the one i replaced in the nissan

5 the nissan cleans up most other slot its that we have in our little club, and usually races close only with other nissans, put it this way its the fastest car i have in my little stable, (apart from a dearly loved MRRC TOYMOTOR....WITH ABOUT TEN MAGS ATTATCHED TO IT....WHICH IS NOW KING OF THE DO WHAT YOU WANT/can TO IT CLASS......)so needless to say i am rather excited by the fact that the mclaren seems to have the best out of the box performance so far of the slot its.

ill post some lap times next time i race at the "club" basically its 7 guys racing on an artin track every thursday, its a blast!

Edited by NZyank

well i did a few laps with mine tonight :lol::P:):):):):):):):):):)

smooth, quiet,.....oh and so faaaaaaaast, dont have any timing gear on my track (yet) ill make some enquiries with you guys when i get home, anyway my first instincts say faster but not by much than the nissan, will be interesting, i learnt something the other night about slot its that you can loosen the notor pod so will do some experiments to see what works best....tight or looser somehwere in between

Edited by NZyank

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...