Sign in to follow this  
The Grump

Digital Wood

I've been roaming this forum for some time now, I've completed my garage ready for the next step, a 16' x 8' 3 lane routed layout, using either SSD or Ninco for the digital smarts.

I enjoy most classes, But i really do like the V8's, Trans Am & Nascar classes. Reading some posts it appears that these classes (Cars) might be a pig to drive without magnets ???? :blink: .

If this is the case then i may look to grafting plastic corners to routed straights, and include my planned squeeze sections in the straights. Or try to obtain magnatech braid, which i believe doesn't have as good magnatraction quality as the plastic track

I just need some advise, do you think the performance of my prefered classes is poor enough on copper taped wood to warrant any of these alternatives and if so what do you think might work best.

Thank You in advance

Cheers Dave.

Dang Varment

Mate,

Having recently raced v8's, jgtc's and even the camaro's recently on wood, it all comes down to set up! Set up right these cars will all fly around well!

Not many cars will run very well on wood straight out of the box.

Go to your local plumbing shop and buy 2kgs of lead!

Best slot car tuning investment ever!!

album_ok.gifalbum_ok.gifalbum_ok.gif

album_ok.gifalbum_ok.gifalbum_ok.gif

Or try to obtain magnatech braid, which i believe doesn't have as good magnatraction quality as the plastic track

I beg to differ, ask any of the guys that have driven my track. But as Smallnails said, the right setup can be a LOT of fun on routed wood non mag. You have to drive the car more and not rely on the "traction control". If I had of known I would de mag all my cars I woulda saved a lot of money and just laid tinned copper.

2 x australian ego champion

regards

Shane

Fulel racing in first track build --> https://youtu.be/nG1EyFkbJSs

My second track build --> 

raceday - https://youtu.be/8WXYQ528iKM

If the standard tyres have no grip replace them with something available in the Slotcar shops out there.

The V8's tend to work well with different tyres and some lead inside.

The Scaley Nascars run great on wood as do the Trans Ams.

Scalextric make deep guides too if you are haveing deslotting problems.

Also you can use magna braid so the magnet cars still work if that is you preference. It is more expensive than standard braid but a big wood track still works out cheaoer to build than a big plastic track.

Talk to Rick (Aussieslotter) for digital info. He is making some bits and pieces which may help you.

Hey Grump,

Welcome to Auslot.

Wow 2nd post and youre talking digital routed, very cool.

My next track will be a heavily modified 3 lane routed digital track based on SSD. Ill be using Magnabraid.

I currently use plastic SSD.

Magnabraid definetely gives you options, example take the magnets out and you can still have your non mag nights. As the guys mention tyres and weight are a big tuning plus for non mag.

Either way its all good.

cheers

The best form of satisfaction is success.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

see the digital effect you have on everyone aussieslotter...lol. Grump old boy we run the v8's as a staple at our club meetings without magnets and tune them the way vinno, aussie,small and gref suggest, not sure i would mix the routed and plastic...having been a plastic man all my slotting life...(not the blow up kind) :lol: i still love nothing more than giving the v8 a thrash around a smooth routed...as for the magna braid i believe that it does offer the best of both worlds offering a little extra magnet traction whilst still allowing the tuner to still have the skills required to set up a car properly.....if you are looking at the copper tape and are putting the track in the shed then i have heard of problems with the copper tape lifting etc when exposed to extreme temperature changes so in my opinion i would be tempted to fork out that extra few bucks for the braid but i am sure the routed experts would be able to better guide you in this selection...a 16' x 8' 3 lane routed hey the stuff that magoo can only dream about, i think i am in enough trouble just getting the mistress of finance to approve a shed never less a track to put in it....good luck with your decision mate ;)

ENTRANT IN THE 2007 DOWN UNDER PROXY SERIES LOLA T70 MK3 B

ishot14vw5.jpg

i think i would like at using ninco digi parts...you wont have to mess around with leds and those sencors

cheers

Hi Florida,

To be fair to Ninco and SSD you'd have to list every fault and every good point about both brands to make a fair comparison, including availibility, back up service and even what your potential digi mates are currently using. At the moment no brand has got it 100% correct. SSD has sorted most of their problems, and Ninco recalled their first release powerbase after 3 weeks on market in early Jan and most people cant seem to get the replacement version.

Theres a lot to consider.

Rick

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

If you do decide to go digital, "3 lanes" is a bit of a misnomer, you have way more freedom than that. You may want to have 3 - or even MORE lanes at some points on your track, but may be able to drop down to 2 lanes on others, narrow up the lane width in places where "passing is not permitted" and leave it waaaaaaay wide in others to allow for lovely V8s and classics to hand their looong tails out in the breeze.

As aussieslotter said, what your mates race at present is a factor, especially if they have a large digfital investment. Most of all, I would be asking myself, where do we see the future of THIS or THAT brand in say 5 years. What are their current features/benefits, and weaknesses/faults, and are they likely to fix/improve them. Will they expand their system in ways you might like to take advantage of.

Scaley has been around more than 2 years so it is fairly well established both in terms of knowedge about strengths and weaknesses, and what is and will be available.

Ninco is the new boy on the block, and has had the advantage of release at a later date with a few more bells and whistles, but is less sorted, and there is less knowledge base out there for it. Where Ninco may take the system in the future is also less known.

I also gather that Carrera have/are?? releasing a DIFFERENT digital system, I know zippo about that.

There is the french Davic system, VERY flash, very complicated, very expensive so unless you have a strong knowledge of electronics and deeeep pockets, probably out of consideration.

Last, worth checking out what one of South Africa's leading slotters has done, cobbling Ninco digital onto Carrera track. It might give you some tips on grafting something/anything onto wood.

http://www.slotcars.co.za/track/track.htm

Alan is a super nice guy and I am sure he would be willing to share some knowledge about adapting servos etc onto a custom system.

And when you're done, you can sell me the result for a couple of bucks . . :):lol::lol::lol::lol::P

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC     

Gidday NZSlots and Grump,

By the way Grump whereabouts are you???

A USA guy has a post on SF with pics showing how to fit Ninco digital lane change components to Carrera track as they both use dead strips to sense lane changes. I can find it if anyone requests it.

4 lanes appeals to some people (digital) but Im not a fan and Ill tell you why. Its simply because to get the best racing line you need to change lanes 3 times to get to the other side of track. Also I find 2-3 lanes more in "scale" width to a real track, example you often see 2 cars side by side in say Aussie V8's, rarely 3, and never 4, hope that makes sense as to how I see it.

Davic went out of business because although it was comp standard it was too dear but I wouldnt buy it even if I could unless most of my digital slot buddies also had one. As a matter of interest Davic came out in 1995!!! So 12 years on the major manufacturers are looking silly by not getting it right.

At present I only know about ten guys with digital systems here in Aust, and they are all SSD, and having a great track that no one elses cars can work on would make you a very lonely slotter. Even if they all used SCX digital, (not my favourite) I would use that simply because Id have more fun with my slot buddies, and thats what its all about, mates and fun.

At the end of the day SSD and Ninco Digital will both do the job and you will enjoy it so go for it. Its easy, the only tricky bit is mounting the lane change fiddly bits, but if youre good with your hands you find it actually simple and enjoyable.

I cant wait to do a SSD routed track, but Im waiting on a few "devices" Im working on to eventuate so I can incorporate them, Im excited just thinking about it. I know digital isnt everyones cup of tea and thats cool, but to me its more realistic. Having said that I race regulary on analogue tracks and Ive never left feeling dissapointed.

Anyway "have fun".

www.scorpiuswireless.com

A USA guy has a post on SF with pics showing how to fit Ninco digital lane change components to Carrera track as they both use dead strips to sense lane changes.

Carrera is not a dead strip type system...ninco is

ninco would be far better on a hybrid track...ninco can do 8 cars and the chips are much easier to install than either ssd or carrera...the reason the person on the other forum used Carrera track was that he wanted the biggest, deepest, widest and excellent corner configs and it nice racing surface...i reckon it would be a step back wards any other way :)

cheers

Edited by FloridaSlot

A USA guy has a post on SF with pics showing how to fit Ninco digital lane change components to Carrera track as they both use dead strips to sense lane changes.

Carrera is not a dead strip type system...ninco is

ninco would be far better on a hybrid track...ninco can do 8 cars and the chips are much easier to install than either ssd or carrera...the reason the person on the other forum used Carrera track was that he wanted the biggest, deepest, widest and excellent corner configs and it nice racing surface...i reckon it would be a step back wards any other way :)

cheers

If the guy on SF was this same guy in South Africa, he wanted to run 1/24th on it, and bought a heap of Carrera while on his way home from winning at the world IMCA 1/24th Worlds.

He took back everything he could fit in his cases including digital lane changes etc, then just waited for Ninco system to be released. He told me he was confident from pre-release info. that it was using similar servo and triggering systems to Carrera, and when it arrived, it DID work okay.

I guess that means that if you are building on wood, and if Carrera servos were avialable cheaper, or simply "standalone" which I recall seeing on a german web site in discount 5 packs . . . . from memory; so you could economise on lane changer costs even if you end up using a Ninco console base.

I am just gutted and jealous, because I only have room for one track at home, and I eventually realised I CAN'T go digital, because I need the track as analogue to test run my cars between club race nights.

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self

Hi Guys,

@Florida, sorry you are correct, I meant the modified Carrera LC uses deadstrip as below.

CarreraDigitalTrackPiece.jpg

Pic:Hybrid Carerra LC, great idea.

The reason Derrenbogen, AKA Darainbow (definetley from Maryland, USA, so a different slotter from the one NZSlots mentioned) wanted Carrera track was

a)The digital lane changers are superior

b)Ninco track too expensive

c)He already had Carrera digital track

If we are talking about the same post of course.

Check out Carreras LC (left) and Nincos offering! (right)

IMGA0517.jpg

You can see why Derrenbogen wanted Carrera track. :)

You you look underneath a Carrera and Ninco LC, youll see the Ninco is basically a direct copy of the Carrera one.

If youve ever raced a digital track with 4-6 racers you'll already know dead strips are a continous merry go round of "nudging" the car back to a live strip. And yes of course with a single driver the car passes over the dead strip. In an accident/marshalling situation you are forced to slow down or stop, around 5% of the time you end up stranded. This is the only reason I dont recommend Ninco as this is ok for 1 maybe 2 racers, but more than that it spoils the flow of racing. Also it cant be modified.

8 cars is great, but you'd need a 50 m track to race 8 cars comfortably, I dont know any digital track in the world with 50m of track.

Carrera track is nice, but too large for home set ups, great for clubs.

Routed beats anything at the end of the day.

Fitting chips, well the Ninco leads are too short from reports and need wire added anyway. The trade off for not using LED's is deadstrips. Gimme LEDS anyday, they glue in around 30 seconds, as long as it takes the glue to dry.

If you prefer non solder joints over solder thats ok, but consider as copper oxidises, the current flow decreases. Also in accidents unsoldered wires could be dislodged.

A handy guy can solder 4 tiny wires in around 2 minutes, and reliability and conductivity are superior. As you know the Ninco powerbase has been recalled and not many have received new version, some waiting months. Lots of problems with Ninco, from motors overheating (thus going slower), throttle curves way out of whack, pit lane refuelling only allows one car into pits at a time to refuel etc. Over time Im sure these issues will be addressed.

To balance the equation yes SSD and SCX too have drawbacks.

Cheers

Aussieslotter

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Hi Guys,

Thank you all very much for your input. Its great that you guys take the time to help those of us making a start. The inspiration for this venture has come from Aussieslotter, Sax, Gref, Phoeno and several others who's layouts are just amazing. I really enjoy reading the input you guys have in this forum especially when you're debating the Pro's & Con's of the different sytems, as a newbie i'm learning so much from this.

Aussieslotter my location is Narre Warren Melbourne, at this stage I've converted my garage into a sports bar type theme with Kitchen, Bar, Pool Table, Coonara heater, Aircon, big screen TV etc,etc and i've just finished a suspended ceiling which the track frame (at this stage) goes up into via an electric winch, when it is raised up it becomes part of the ceiling complete with downlights, I can drop it down onto a large frame which has castors on it so i can roll it out of the garage into the carport to undertake the timberwork. I would post photo's but not sure how to.

The room is virtually finished so work will commence on the track in the next few weeks, After reading the posts here i am really leaning toward SSD smarts as i'm not sure about the dead strips.

Really looking forward to starting the track, i'm sick of lining walls, painting and wiring lights and power points. from the feedback i've had from Magoo, Vinno and Gref i will do the whole track in MDF and make my own LC's pit lane etc, just got to decide on copper tape or magnatech. Once again thank you all for your help i'm sure i'll need more in the weeks to come so thanks in advance.

P.S Eno the wonderdog keep posting, love reading your posts, great sense of humour

Cheers

Dave.

Dang Varment

the reason errenbogen, AKA Darainbow used carrera is because he had a large carrera pro-x set :) he choose well from the beginning :( He did a lot of testing with power supplys and stuff...he a good carrera man :o why would he want ninco????

cheers

Aussieslotter my location is Narre Warren Melbourne, at this stage I've converted my garage into a sports bar type theme with Kitchen, Bar, Pool Table, Coonara heater, Aircon, big screen TV etc,etc and i've just finished a suspended ceiling which the track frame (at this stage) goes up into via an electric winch, when it is raised up it becomes part of the ceiling complete with downlights, I can drop it down onto a large frame which has castors on it so i can roll it out of the garage into the carport to undertake the timberwork.

Jesus Christ, I gotta see this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.scorpiuswireless.com

@ the grump , before you make your decision , or put your router to work, if you would like to try a decent size SSD track here in melbourne (all be it on the other side of town) its got all the mods and will convince one way or the other as to wether its for you or not.

pm me if you are interested.

follow the links in my signature for pics and video's of the track

sax

Hi Guys,

my location is Narre Warren Melbourne, at this stage I've converted my  garage into a sports bar type theme with Kitchen, Bar, Pool Table, Coonara heater, Aircon, big screen TV etc,etc and i've just finished a suspended ceiling which the track frame (at this stage)  goes up into via an electric winch, when it is raised up it becomes part of the ceiling complete with downlights, I can drop it down onto a large frame which has castors on it so i can roll it out of the garage into the carport to undertake the timberwork.  .......

The room is virtually finished so work will commence on the track in the next few weeks, ..........P.S Eno the wonderdog keep posting, love reading your posts, great sense of humour

Cheers

Dave.

AGGGGGHHHHHHHHH......................., so why didn't Eno and I know about this "man-cave" a week ago when we were roaming the streets of greater Melbourne.

Actually, we wouldn't have had time to empty your fridge, Eno was experimenting to see if my credit card would spontaneously combust before I made to back to the airport. . . .

Will take some pics of the room this weekend, not much to see with the track at this stage, that will follow.

@Sax thanks for the offer would love to come over (never raced on Digital) will be in touch to arrange suitable time.

Dang Varment