aussieslotter

Ssd National Championship

I have a thought - and yes I know it hurt! B)

This is mainly driven by the fact if this starts at this years F1 time I cannot make it, nor can I make the Easter time. A lot of people have other committments etc on long weekends.

NSW & Vic have different long weekends so my thought are that on one of the NSW long weekends it wwould be held in Melbourne area, and a Vic long weekend be held in NSW. Thats two events.

Thirdly we could have an event in Finley on a normal week end. Sydney being a long haul but leaving Sydney early (4-5am) Saturday morning and be in Finley by lunch, the all PM (and wee hours) plus a session in the morning. Leave for home after an early lunch. Phil has two tracks and I believe he can change the layout of each overnight. SA guys may want to join us there as well. The Finley set up is worth more than just one night!

I believe March this year is a bit early to sensibly kick off but those who can make it to Melbourne at F1 time, have some social racing but also thrash out some very simple regs taking inconsideration what has been posted in these pages.

Leave the tech stuff to you guys but I think (again) three classes, V8's, Slotits and possibly one other older class. This may depend on total number of racers. Also if someone cannot make an event could there be a proxy driver (driver drawn out of the hat from those attending).

All above for some consideration.

Thanks Guys - keep it moving.

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Hi Guys,

thanks Mel for input:)

Sorry guys didnt know NSW and VIC had different long weekends.

Long weekends are the best time I think.

I think if people have other commitments on long weekends then maybe their not committed enough to slots?

Two races in one day is way too much travelling, if you met at Phils at 1pm, raced till 5pm, be in Melb by 9pm, race till 1am?, too much stress, not enough fun.

This is going to take commitment and money, not a lot of money, but still it will cost, fuel, accomodation, entry fee, cars etc.

So lets go back to square one.

Two weekends only....easier

Two classes only.....cheaper...

Use own cars but just replace motor and tyres on day. I feel 25K motors are too touchy for most tracks, Ive tried 18K Mabuchis with SSD chip and they are much better/smoother/fun to drive.

Use magnet marshall to check downforce hasnt been altered.

We must consider this has to be enjoyable, not a hassle or financial burden on some...

Anyone know the Victorian holiday schedule for 2007?

Proxy drivers.....Good idea but I think thats not fair.

Thoughts?

Edited by aussieslotter

The best form of satisfaction is success.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

OK, I can put PCLapcounter into my mix, no worries - is it freeware?

I had been playing with RaceManager SSD, but it's still got a couple of things missing.

The Hydro 962, and all new 962 liveries will have the lighter body, 3g lighter.

The same applies to the next Sauber livery, which is that AEG sponsored black one I think.

I'm ok with putting togehter my own plain white 962/956 - up to the group to decide what they want to do. I'm also happy with the bulk buy option, or to use an existing car but swap the motor and tyres. Actually, I suggest that the tyres on the slot-it's are swapped anyway, my vote would be for P4, maybe P3 - and I would remove the magnet, they are such fun to drive.

I would make the V8's a second class, plenty of those still available, and probably good to keep magnets in them.

If a 3rd class is desired, I'd be happy with Porsche GT3's, or a GT class using DBR9's and Maserati's, quite happy whatever the concensus is.

OK, I can't make the Melbourne week-end, I've got a photography gig that I'm committed to, that was booked prior to this coming out. Happy for you to skip me for that round, and I'm not bothered about getting zero points - I'm in it for the fun anyway.

I like the idea of doing Melbourne on NSW long week-ends, and vice versa.

State specific public holidays - generally the same, except:

Labour Day. VIC = March. QLD = May. NSW = October

Melbourne Cup day in Melbourne/VIC only.

So in theory, on Labour Day in NSW, could plan to race in Melbourne. Probably too early for those in VIC to travel up here on their labour day, as it's only 2 weeks away.

I can imagine getting everybody together at Easter might be tough - easy to escape for 1/2 day/evening, might not be easy to escape for the whole week-end.

Probably need more feedback from those who've shown interest - what works timing wise.

The other option... schedule several events during the year, knowing that some will make all events, some will have to miss some events - and the points get based on say 5 out of 8 rounds or similar, or drop your worst round etc.

Fink that's it from me.

Will confirm about next week Rick - might be in Brissie Tue&Wed.

Mike

Edited by tvwino

I like the idea of V8s, SlotIts and GT3 Porsches, If we're going to use cars we already own, why not buy a bulk lot of 18k motors, a bulk lot of chips, and a bulk lot of tyres (maybe P3's or P4's) that way all cars will have new 18k motors, the same tyres.

When the cars are apart, they can be checked for mods.

As far as the schedule goes, i'm easy, but i'm no good for easter.

Proxy drivers don't worry me, i can't help myself, dosn't matter who i'm driving for, i allways try for a win. hehehe.

Cool guys,

One step closer.

Like the idea of best 5 out of 8 rounds. Or 4/5 or 5/6 etc?

At the moment confirmed we have 3 tracks in Melb, one in Finley and 2 in NSW.

Maybe best 5 out of 6?

Espix, we could use chip thats already in car.

Propose GP weekend be trial for classes, length of events etc. as not enough notice given.

somehow but we will now have to use Easter as we are now missing GP weekend.

Maybe Easter Melb, Queens birthday weekend in Syd and Oct in Melb.?

Drummer hasnt replied so maybe my track and TVWinos??

Yes V8's...could use this years and last years liveries??

Mike PCLapcounter isnt free and aint dear, but aint cheap, I think you could copy it?

Can assume not everyone wil be happy with every decision.

Always a group decision at the end of the day.

If we use our cars and new motors and tyres, should make it easier and cheaper for all concerned.

Cheers.

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

I'm going to Jindera, which is just near Albury for Easter if that helps. (isn't Finley near Albury?)

Can i use a AU DJR Shell Falcon i've got?

Sure, may as well include all the V8's.

Im sure the other guys will agree theyre about the same weight etc.

Dont about schedule yet, still to be decided....

www.scorpiuswireless.com

We can allways ballast cars to get them to the weight of the heaviest car of each class, just have a minimum weight for each class.

Edited by espsix

Might have to allow deeper sports guide too to guarantee lap counts.

On a seperate note Shell Falcon has old guide similar to GT40's etc so wont be able to upgrade guide....

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Hi Guys.

My two cents worth..

Just thinking that it is unlikely that more than 5 or 6 of you at the most will make it to to the round here in Finley... (about 2 hrs west of albury)

It's all a bit short notice..

I was thinking that for the event here we will use my standard scaley cars and controllers...

I use the Rich G scoring tower and will keep tab of the points

I won't be racing myself..will be too busy operating the show...

I will be hosting an event for anyone who wants to enter...20 to 30 locals at least,as well as visitors.

None of the locals will have cars of thier own by then...

Cars and controllers will be drawn out of a hat for each and every race..you will not likely ever race the same car or same controller twice..

Probably only two classes,Aussie v8's and american muscle cars.

This is just for simplicity's sake and to accomodate all the new people to this hobby...

In the long run...I really think that any digital championship should be one event run over one long weekend so that anyone from anywhere can plan to be there a year in advance.

I like the idea of a multi round series,but for the most part,host tracks will be private home tracks in garages and spare rooms..

How would you guys be able to cope with 50 or 60 entries at your home tracks..?

Probably only 5 or 6 at the most would ever realistically make it to every round ,or in fact anything but a home round..

There's lots to talk about here..But I think we should start small and keep it as simple as possible until the thing starts to build a life of it's own.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your input;)

Depends on what you want, lots of ways of doing it.

Im after dedicated users of SSD to race, not just anyone. I like the idea of how the V8 supercars run their series or how F1 runs their series if you get my drift. Either way people will have to travel huge distances in any national event in Aust, imagine SA and WA racers having to travel, (hasnt taken off there yet) you can see you need dedication for this, and I supposed you travelled for miles in your motorbike racing days so we all get the drift, will never be easy, but hey Aust is a huge continent.

As always its up to a group decision and Ill go along with whatever the group wants. Got to fly now, ill post more later.

Cheers

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Hey guys. some of this post may be out of date but it is an email I sent to Rick on my thoughts on the Championship for consideration. Basically just a brain dump.

Classes:

It looks to me like there will be 2 or 3 classes and 2 of them seem to have a fair bit of support.

(1) Scaley JGTC (Takara) with Scaley SSD chips and standard 18k Mabuchi motors. That gives us 6 liveries. You could also allow the Skyline and even Aston Martin and Jaguar but from my experience they are a bit slower and might not be competitive.

(2) Slot IT Porsche 956/962 with Slot IT 25k V12/2b motor and Slot IT SSD chips (preferably). This gives us more liveries than competitors. You could run the Scaley SSD chip as well, but I think the Slot IT chip is better suited to the Slot IT V12/2b motor. I like the idea of running the Slot IT motor as for the me idea of this class is to be different i.e. the performance class.

Now for the 3rd class:

Scaley Porsche GT3R: Only issue I see with this is I expect the older GT3R’s with the self centring guide blade will be faster (they certainly are on wood anyway) – plenty of liveries though.

Scaley V8’s: To be honest not a fan of these because they are pigs to drive but I can see why people might want to run them. Nuf said.

Scaley US Muscle Cars: Plenty of liveries but you will have to drive a Chevy Camaro to win – the narrow track on the mustang makes it uncompetitive (they certainly are on wood anyway).

Scaley F1: About the only class I will actively campaign against J

Scaley Indy Cars: Have never driven these on SSD but they are fantastic fun on wood and apparently not too difficult to convert to SSD.

Fly Classics: Lot’s of liveries to chose from but………installing the SSD chip is not straight forward. On the up side, running this class shows how SSD can be run with cars from any vendor.

I am going to be a bit patriotic and not recommend the competitions cars i.e. SCX, Ninco and Carerra.

Modifications:

Like everyone I would like to keep the rules a simple as possible but sadly my experience is that there are some things you need to spell out.

Basically I will just regurgitate the rules my local club run because they generally seem to work for us:

No modifications to the cars are allowed unless specifically stated herein.

(1) The body may be loosened to allow it to rock freely on the chassis.

(2) Weight may be added to the car provided it is either inside the body or in the underside of the chassis. i.e. no can be weight added to the outside of the body.

(3) All screw holes on the underside of the chassis must be covered with tape to prevent loose screws from falling out.

(4) The guide braids maybe replaced however they may not protrude past the end of the guide itself.

(5) The motor and axel bearings may be glued in.

(6) For Fly cars the front axel stubs can be replaced with a solid axel.

(7) If we run any form of non-magnet race then the front and rear tyres should be allowed to be replaced.

Specifically, the following modifications are prohibited:

(1) The standard guide mechanism must be used. Part of me wants to make the Scalextric Sport guide blade mandatory on any car that it can be fitted to, but that adds another $10 to the car cost.

(2) Any lightening of the chassis or body in any way is specifically prohibited i.e. no interior or light weight interior etc

(3) The motor must be completely standard, not modified or opened in any way and motor magnet zapping etc is specifically prohibited.

(4) The entire drive train including pinion, gears, axel and wheels must be standard.

(5) The chassis and body may not be lowered in any way.

(6) The front and rear wheel tracks may not be widened in any way.

(7) The standard magnet must be used and it must be in the standard location and any magnet spacer must be installed as manufactured.

(8) No tyre additives. I expect some people might want to allow these but if we do then we should specify exactly what may be used as additives can make a huge difference.

The most difficult thing to marshal on plastic is magnets and unfortunately it is also the simplest way to obtain an advantage and also the most variable thing in a new car. A few thoughts:

(1) I have a magnet marshal and I am happy to have it used for the championship to set a maximum down force for each category.

(2) You will be amazed how big the variation in the magnet strength is and of course that can make a huge difference to cornering.

(3) Something to be specifically be careful of with the JGTC’s is the cardboard magnet spacer – subtle changes to this can make a considerable difference to lap times.

Tracks:

I agree with the proposal that all tracks must as a minimum have the MS modification as I think this is a must for consistent track performance. Depending on where we are going to race it might be worthwhile having a standard master/slave unit that we all chip in for that travels to each meeting (hopefully this will not be required).

I also think it is desirable that all tracks be capable of supporting four (4) cars racing at once. Three (3) would be the bare minimum.

Other than that, I don’t have any real comments on the tracks, just that I hope they are all a bit different. To me part of the fun is racing on different types of tracks.

Race Formats:

Well, to be honest this is the one subject I know least about but I hope we have slightly different types of race formats. i.e. some short races, some longer races, some marshalled races, some crash and burn races and some races with mandatory pit stops.

I also think we should arrange the championship in such a way that only your “x†best rounds count as I think very few people will be able to attend all rounds and in the spirit of fun I think everyone should have a chance.

I am also keen to get as many non-SSD racers involved as is possible but……..I think there should be some sort of qualification for non-SSD racers. What I mean is non-SSD racers should if practical have a couple of qualifying races before the main championship races at each round so that they get the hang of SSD racing before being thown to the wolves.

Obviously I am keen to run a non-magnet round on my track as I think that will be good to open everyone’s eyes to racing without magnets but there are complications with this and I will understand if we decide that it is not practical. If we do run non-magnet then I am happy to provide everyone with details on the car tuning and tyres that work best on my track and the JGTC’s and Slot IT classes are well suited as would a Fly class but many other classes would not be well suited (i.e. Porsche GT3R, V8’s etc) and hence we may need to run a mix of magnet and non-magnet.

A special note though is that on the round at my track, any form of tyre additive will be banned (it can leave a residue on the track and I am thinking of painting my track) – tyres must be totally standard.

Now for the racing format:

The problem is this depends totally on the number of people attending each meeting.

Hopefully there will be enough people that we will need some sort of heat system with points for each place to qualify for the final (and maybe even semi final).

I favour splitting the racers into groups and having at least one (1) free practice and then a qualifying session to allow everyone learn the track and tune their cars if necessary.

For the heats I propose they be structured so that the fastest qualifiers are separated into different heats and paired with the slowest qualifiers i.e. the fastest and lowest qualifiers would be in the same heat.

No self marshalling (unless we don’t have enough marshals).

The car that causes a crash gets marshalled last.

Prize:

I think a simple trophy will suffice.

We could also approach Southern Models or Scalextric themselves for sponsorship – they might for example donate a car for the winner and maybe put an article in their magazine. I am happy to approach them once we have more of a plan. The ideal prize would I think be one of the Scalextric 50th anniversary sets!

Farq that took longer than I thought.

Welcome any comments - as I said at the start, just a brain dump and now my brain hurts :D

Fantastic ideas there Greg, a lot to digest. You get the prize for longest slot car post ever written :D

If implementing we would need marshalling which takes it to a new level.

@PhilR, so you're not keen to use Sydney or Melb tracks Phil?

@Espix...ballast could be the go, especially on V8's

Suggest this year just 2 weekends, one in Melb/Finley.

The other in Sydney.

To make it easy.

Lets condense what I feel are the main issues at present....

when?

I feel at this stage would have to be Queens birthday weekend (are VIC and NSW the same weekend?).... the other Easter weekend, also Anzac day falls on a Monday this year. This is the most important decision and probably need a vote within weeks.

Second point, cars and rules. we have 3 ideas so far

1) New cars out the box.

2) Your car but to strict marshalling rules.

3) Your car but motor and tyres supplied on the day.

3rd point, number of classes, 2 or 3

I really dont care on this one, will be guided by group decision.

4th point.....Types of cars

I think we generally agree Slot.it is definetely a goer, the 2nd choice I feel is JGTC or V8's, the 3rd choice I feel is JGTC or V8's also. Once again Im not fussed and am happy to go with the flow.

Prizes...who cares, Im in it for the fun.

Marshalling....

Recommend crash n burn if low numbers turn up.

Or just normal marshalling. Car that causes grief goes on last.

All comments welcome.

Cheers

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Firstly I will apologise for the lack of comments on my behalf recently , but as I have been interstate on holidays with very poor internet access , i thought it better to leave my comments until I arrived home,

@ Gregr ,

thank you for your well constructed thoughts and comments

I agree with all you have posted , but failed to see anything stated in regards to truing and/ or gluing of tires ?

and as for tyre additives , should this be declared by track owner , prior to the commencement of the round . (my track uses amarol multi purpose cleaner).

all for the magnet mashall !!! the more even the field the better,

I also strongly agree with a minimum of MS mod for host tracks,

also I do not have a copy of PC lapcounter , but will investigate the purchase this week

sax

Agreed Armourall Multi Purpose Cleaner kicks butt with no noticeable residue.

WD40 on tyres is ok with me if applied carefully to tyres only via cloth.

And Im fussy with conductivity issues, yet can see Gregs concerns for this reason.

In hidsight any PC program could be used if tried and proven.

PCLapcounter is so advanced over other SSD compatible timing systems and proven.

Rick

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

@Sax, yep I forgot to say that I would recommened tyres can be trued and glued.

I agree that tyre additives should be nominated by the track owner. FYI one of the reasons I am dead against them is I am thinking of painting my track and Scaley Sport is hard enough to get paint to stick to without having other chemicals involved in the equation :huh:

IF Motorsportnut can get his program sorted, I will use that in preference to PCLapcounter (which I own) as it is much easier to see and use (but less feature rich).

@ Gregr ,

motorsportnut's program works fine in practise/free running , but proved to be very spasmatic when running a race , we tried it here a couple of weeks ago , with three racers , and it threw up all sorts of wierd results.

I will try it again as soon as I orginise another small gathering

sax

I dont care what we use as long as we enjoy ourselves, and thats the only reason I recommend PCLapcounter as Im sure it wont let us down. Keep the ideas coming fellas!

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Hi Rick..

no I don't have any problems with it being a multi round thing.

I won't be able to attend any of them in any case..Just host the one here..

Just think it would be easier to have a one off event that people can plan to be at.

Won't be much of an Australian championship with just 5 or 6 competitors..

Phil

Hi Phil,

Wouldnt we all love that, just sit back and have a round at our own place and not have to travel, think of the lost points! Agreed 6 competitors is not enough so might have to wait a year or two until the numbers increase. Back in the early 80's they only got 5 competitors in the National Glider Championships which now attracts over 200. Takes sacrifices and effort to get the ball rolling. Think 2 rounds in Melb same weekend and the same in Sydney same weekend means just one weekend away per year for most of us, not a big ask and a lot of fun! Maybe work your track into the Melb weekend. 4-5 rounds would be a good start and possibly enough. And maybe scale it back from National as Australia is just too flippin big for competitors from either side of the continent to be able to afford to get around. Any WA or QLD ssd dudes on Auslot?

Maybe this year 6, next year 10, the year after 15 competitors, who knows until you get it rolling?

At this stage recommend making 2007 a social calender starting at Saxs GP weekend and hopefully Gregs, might even get a chance to drop into Finley!

Cheers.

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

". . . . . Think 2 rounds in Melb same weekend and the same in Sydney same weekend means just one weekend away per year for each of us . . . ."

I think timing as well as the short notice this year has put the ball a chain around a few including myself.

As the year goes on there will be more SSD slotters around and will no doubt increase numbers.

Normally I'm in Melbourne for the F1 but the organisers have well and truly lost the plot in my view (no v8's this year either, I hear) so I refuse to go this year.

Your last idea seems logical for this year Rick, but I would still like to see a good social weekend in Finley during the year. Not to far for Vic, NSW & even SA for a long or even normal weekend.

I place as much emphasis on the social aspect as the racing.

Hope you guys have a great time in Melboune this weekend.

OFS

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Yep, I can confirm that my track will be in a running condition. Even though it is not finished I did get it joined and have done a few hundred laps. Quickets lap so far is an 8.32 in a Slot IT. Typical times in a Slot IT are between 8.8 and 9.5.

A bit more work to do and I still have to redo the MS mod but that should be completed this weekend.

Sax, you up for a short run this Sunday or Monday arvo. Nothing formal, just a test.

So what day on the GP weekend suites?

By the way SSD Race Manager is much better now and is getting times from the powerbase B)

Hi Guys,

If everyone wants a single round somewhere whether it be any of our tracks Ill go with that, at the moment Im voting the "round" idea.

Maybe if ever we get slotters from WA, QLD we will have to settle for one venue in time as travelling would be too expensive.

Maybe we could name our comp "Eastcoast SSD Series" or similar.

@Phil, Im surprised your not up for a race on any other track but Ill respect your decision:)

GP weekend maybe we could do Gregs Friday night, Saxs Sat night:)

Any of you Melb guys want to go to Phils Friday night and Greg maybe we could race at your place Sunday night.

Its all good and one step closer to a solution, so guys do we want a single yearly event or rounds as suggested?

Cheers

www.scorpiuswireless.com

GregR , yes I'm up for it ,Pm me a day/ time /place and phone number.

My track is ready to run for GP weekend, (saturday evening/night) and all those who will be in town, including locals and would like to attend an INFORMAL social race meet , drop me PM for location details,

If you have your own SSD cars and controllers bring them along

I will have some spare digital chips to lend (temporary installations) for those who wish to run their own analog cars ,I will also impliment some in house rules before racing begins , nothing to serious just enough to protect the cars and the track.

If I get some interest ,I will post some more details early in GP week.

If you haven't seen or heard of Mill Park Raceway (sax's track) follow the links in my signiture for some video footage

sax

Edited by sax0607

@Phil, Im surprised your not up for a race on any other track but Ill respect your decision:)

No it's not that at all....I won't be racing at all!!

I work seven days a week now... can't go anywhere..or do anything i want to..

Got a shop to run now and it opens Thursday night 15th march.

I would totally love to go and race at everyone else's track it would be fantastic fun and a real (and quite rare ) social outing for me!

Hope to get the chance to do it someday..but for the forseeable future I will be stuck in this shop every weekend and shearing every weekday.

Phil