Sign in to follow this  
smallnails

Scaley Classic Digital?

Yes you can Smallnails.

There are no problems using classic track with the digital equipment, you will just need a couple of converter track sections.

Hmm, everythings upside down??

Every time you go to a lane change you need a convertor in/convertor out.

@Jamie...correct..The track signal isnt just power, its also a sensitive conduit for complex digital waveforms for up to 6 cars, signal includes controlling throttle, lane changing and braking. Every bad joint dimishes the digital signal and you get glitches associated with throttle, lane changing and braking eventually.

As Classic track is just ....classic.. by age the joints are usually 2nd rate. The convertor issue, conductivity issue, personally I recommend you dont. SSD is designed to match up with Scaley Sports track which accepts the new deeper sports guide.

Of course its your call not mine, good luck whichever way you go.

Cheers.

The best form of satisfaction is success.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

The convertor issue, conductivity issue, personally I recommend you dont. SSD is designed to match up with Scaley Sports track which accepts the new deeper sports guide.

Rick, i would totally agree with you if he were starting fresh, Scaley Sport is the way to go. (but even that is not fantastic). :blink:

But as Smallnails already has the classic track sections, he may as well use them.

That many sections would indicate (to me at least), some kind of permenant track in the making. If that is the case, you could always lay copper tape over the classic track rails, and that would eliminate all the negatives listed above, bar the slot depth.

The classic track has a better/grippier surface too, IMO.

Hi Zipp!

He could always try.

Not sure how much convertors are or if they suit track plan. Im just not recommending it cause ive found unless the system is electrically perfect glitches will definetely occur.

Cheers.

Edited by aussieslotter

The best form of satisfaction is success.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

My 28m SSD track currently has an 11m section copper taped. this was done a few months ago, and is still more responsive than the remaining sections.

I plan to copper tape the rest of the track shortly.

As well as less braid wear, the main advantage is the excellent continuity and the increased response that this delivers.

I took the plunge after another slothead told me how he revitalised an old Artin track some years ago, using this method.

edit: posted at same time as Rick.

Obviously coppertaping the rails is only viable on a permenant layout.

33yds of tape for less than £4 is cheap as chips, but it will take a few hours to fully tape a large track.

Time well spent though. =)

Edited by zipp

i was only planning on using the classic straights to acheive a 5 metre back straight.

that copperlaying idea sounds like a good plan though. Will the digital powerbase work ok on a extra large track?

I plan to modify the slots by running a thin kerf circular saw blade in a 18v cordless saw down the slots to get it to the same depth as the sports track.

album_ok.gifalbum_ok.gifalbum_ok.gif

album_ok.gifalbum_ok.gifalbum_ok.gif

i was only planning on using the classic straights to acheive a 5 metre back straight.

What you gonna do with the other 255 pieces? <_<

How long (in metres), is extra large??