#1 wwwace

Slot Car Racer

• Auslotters
  • PipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:37 PM

Hi all,

This year will be a busy one.......

Two new 1/32 classes/concepts are in progress on several tracks (private and commercial) here in SE Queensland using the Plafit Super32 Chassis with any modern GT Bodies (from 1990 onwards) :
Posted Image

Also Touring Cars with Scalex V8 Bodies :
Posted Image

Main reason for this concept is to offer racers, who want to create their own cars but without going into scratch building, competition on an even level playing field.
As these cars are designed to be set up and raced with proper handling and performance on any track in 1/32 or 1/24 scale, with or without traction magnets, it opens up race events on many private, club or commercial tracks. It also seems to attract many people who are racing 1/24 Scale Model Cars as these cars and chassis designs are very similar and it is always a very good thing when racers of both scales enjoy race events together.

With the GT Car class a list of over 80 eligible cars/bodies has been created, which give racers a huge selection to choose from.

Posted Image

The chassis regulations are kept very simple, standard Plafit Super32 version with chassis stabilizer kit only, Plafit Rabbit (Mabuchi FC-130S) Motor, 32 T Gear only, any pinion as well as Plafit Rubber Tires for plastic tracks and Plafit Sponge Tires for board tracks.

Posted Image
This Lamborghini Murcielago (Proteus Body) has been built for the use on plastic track with traction magnet and rubber tires. Gear ratio is 9 : 32, thicker silicone lead wire has been added and the standard Plafit guide fits the slots of most plastic track when thick braid is used.

Posted Image
The original driver interiors always have to be retained and used however if there are any small modifications necessary to fit the body onto the chassis, this is of course allowed.

Posted Image
This Ferrari 575 GTC (Carrera Body) is built for racing on board tracks and features Plafit Sponge Tires.

Posted Image
As you can see, there are differences in wheelbase and width within some of the many GT Cars but in general the dimensions are rather even.

With the V8 Ozzie Touring Cars the regulations will be mostly the same.
The chassis have to be adjusted to fit the long and narrow bodies. The following two cars shown have the black plastic windows removed and replaced by clear Lexan windows and driver interiors fitted.
Posted Image
The Commodore is again set up for plastic track....

...while the CAT Falcon is built for board track using sponge tires.
Posted Image

Posted Image
As with the GT Cars, proper wheel inserts are to be used inside the Plafit rims to achieve a decent car presentation. In most cases the original plastic rims can be trued down to fit the aluminum rims as seen here with the V8 Supercars. All Plafit rims have an inside diameter of 14.3mm.

The first major event with the Plafit 1/32 GT Cars is already scheduled next month on a commercial 6-lane Carrera Track, a 3 Hour Team Race at Clontarf in Brisbane's northern outskirts. A lot of building and testing activity in this regard can be noticed on all sorts of tracks and clubs around the place.....

Cheers
Werner

#2 Gyprock

Kart Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:15 PM

I think that's a great idea, but how much money would it be to convert a standard V8 to this racing catorgory.

cheeer gene

#3 triggy

Triggy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:47 PM

The V8's certainly look good with the clear windows and insteriors. Anybody know where I can get them in Sth Aust?

Normal people worry me

#4 wwwace

Slot Car Racer

• Auslotters
  • PipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 06:57 PM

Gene,

The RRP on the complete chassis plus motor and stabilizer kit would be ($ 70.00 + $ 10.00 + $ 4.90) $ 84.90. A spare screw set would also be recommended which may set you back another $ 5.50.
This category is not meant to replace any of the usual car classes raced successfully out off the box. It is rather an addition and for people who like to build cars and race them on totally different track situations.

triggy,

No idea where you can get the Lexan windows and interiors in SA. But if you get in contact with Phil Kalbfell in Hobart, he will help you in this regard.

Cheers
Werner

#5 itelectrical

Drone King

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:08 PM

I agree that this is a great idea Werner. You could actually use the same plafit chassis with a few different car bodies right?
JamieB
ITeLECTRICAL

Check out my Current Posted Image Auctions

#6 Gyprock

Kart Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:25 AM

so about $100, that's not real bad, I think it would be great racing and with great looking cars, cool as I think.

cheeers gene

PS useing that chassis and same wheel size, that would work for proxy racing wouldn't it and perhaps you could run any type of car top, ? maybe :lol:

Edited by Gyprock, 17 January 2007 - 08:41 AM.

#7 wwwace

Slot Car Racer

• Auslotters
  • PipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:19 AM

....Certainly, this would be great with Proxy Racing. You can set clearly defined regulations which are easy policed and fair to every racer.

"Running every car top", of course. Just decide on a class, outline and list all eligible bodies/cars you want to include and start building.

Cheers
Werner

#8 wwwace

Slot Car Racer

• Auslotters
  • PipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:04 PM

....A few new cars at the last race meeting :

Posted Image
Nissan 350Z ex. Ninco.

Posted Image
This car is very short at the front and some changes had to be made in order to hide the guide with aluminum mesh and to fit the front wheels properly.

Posted Image
A short Sakatsu guide is used to fit underneath the body.

Posted Image
As a presentable customer car it can be returned in its original display box fixing the car with a bit of Blue-tac underneath the chassis.

Next up an older Jaguar XJ220 made by Scalextric.
Posted Image

Posted Image
The original wheels had been damaged therefore Scalextric BBS rims were turned down and cut to size to fit into the Plafit aluminum wheels.

Posted Image
The XJ220 has a sizeable wheelbase so the longer standard Plafit guide could be used. Same as the Nissan, this car is also set up for racing on plastic track with traction magnet and Plafit rubber tires.

Posted Image
A bit more detail work on the interior as well as two new outside mirrors and the result is a nice old GT Car.

Cheers
Werner

#9 manic35

Formula 3 Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 07:23 PM

That Jag is absolutely wicked looking Werner!!!!! :rolleyes:

#10 wwwace

Slot Car Racer

• Auslotters
  • PipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:04 PM

......Another Ferrari 575 GTC :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The 575 GTC seems to be a popular model. Several versions are available and it is also easy to convert.

Cheers
Werner

#11 itelectrical

Drone King

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:01 PM

Posted Image

What an awesome XJ220 !!

Edited by itelectrical, 12 February 2007 - 08:01 PM.

JamieB
ITeLECTRICAL

Check out my Current Posted Image Auctions

#12 gascarnut

Video Game Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 01:53 AM

Really cool cars - sounds like fun racing.

But why magnets for plastic track? Why not Ortmanns or similar aftermarket tires and some weight? IMO, magnets are not a good thing for slot racing, especially with such pretty cars! Look for lots of broken bodies when running magnet classes!

#13 wwwace

Slot Car Racer

• Auslotters
  • PipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:50 PM

View Postgascarnut, on Mar 17 2007, 01:53 AM, said:

But why magnets for plastic track? Why not Ortmanns or similar aftermarket tires and some weight? IMO, magnets are not a good thing for slot racing, especially with such pretty cars! Look for lots of broken bodies when running magnet classes!

Thanks for your thoughts, Dennis.
No broken bodies so far after a lot of racing with traction magnets on plastic tracks. The car regulations are designed with this in mind using a motor and gear ratio for a realistic race speed.
Why magnets ? Well, the Plafit Super32 is designed to be used with or without traction help and it simply represents another challenge to set up these cars for this kind of racing. Here in OZ magnet racing is the dominant form of slot car racing by far. In the US of course you have a different market situation.
As I have outlined in my first post in this thread, this concept offers people from various interest groups to have a go at building, setting up and racing their standard metal chassis cars on totally different tracks.

"Magnets are not a good thing for slot racing". I have to disagree with you on this one. Cars with traction magnets (1/32 RTR) are responsible to pull slot car racing back into popularity with a very positive effect for the entire hobby.

Cheers
Werner

#14 falcon

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:53 PM

Hmm maybe its just me, But
I cannot see what all the hype is about racing 1.32 scale plafit bricks around when they are slower than the original well worked slot car

Plafit in 1.24 scale on the other hand i can see work well.

Each to there own i guess

#15 wwwace

Slot Car Racer

• Auslotters
  • PipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:43 PM

View Postfalcon, on Mar 17 2007, 07:53 PM, said:

Hmm maybe its just me, But
I cannot see what all the hype is about racing 1.32 scale plafit bricks around when they are slower than the original well worked slot car

Plafit in 1.24 scale on the other hand i can see work well.

Each to there own i guess

....No hype what-so-ever.
You are correct : Each to their own. This concept is an addition not a replacement. Not everyone will take to it which is fine.
But you are missing the point when comparing a plastic chassis 1/32 RTR with a Super32 Car. They are far too different to do so and therefore the speed argument is irrelevant.

Cheers
Werner

#16 kalbfellp

Formula 1 Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,856 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:06 PM

Here in OZ magnet racing is the dominant form of slot car racing by far.
Werner: What do you base this on,home racing or club racing? I would say that home racing is mainly magnets but plenty of non magnet racing in club racing.

Phil

#17 Vinno

GP2 Driver

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,520 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:14 PM

View Postwwwace, on Mar 17 2007, 07:50 PM, said:

View Postgascarnut, on Mar 17 2007, 01:53 AM, said:

Here in OZ magnet racing is the dominant form of slot car racing by far. In the US of course you have a different market situation.
As I have outlined in my first post in this thread, this concept offers people from various interest groups to have a go at building, setting up and racing their standard metal chassis cars on totally different tracks.

"Magnets are not a good thing for slot racing". I have to disagree with you on this one. Cars with traction magnets (1/32 RTR) are responsible to pull slot car racing back into popularity with a very positive effect for the entire hobby.

Cheers
Werner

Werner

I have not seen much in the way of magnet racing down here and in most other parts of OZ. I don't think it is dominant at all. As a matter of fact I was under the impression that magnet racing was bigger in the US than here. Most of the guys I know started with magnets and moved away or include non mag in their racing. I don't think it is magnets that bring people back to the hobby but the fact it is just in again and the internet has helped to spread the word.

#18 oldslot

old slot

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:22 AM

Most of the guys I know started with magnets and moved away or include non mag in their racing. I don't think it is magnets that the fact it is just in again and the internet has helped to spread the word.

just what I thought Vinno

#19 slots

Sanity is over-rated

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:31 AM

There would also be a lot of guys out there like me who have left commercial tracks for one reason or another and rip the magnet cause it won't allow an even slide. The moment the magnet lets go, the car is off the track as it is already travelling faster than it could without magnets in a corner. Definitely believe it is a non-magnet world down here. And don't forget how many wood tracks there are in the home racing circuit. THAT has taken off in a big way. Having the cars perform like the real thing is a big thing in the back of peoples minds.
Stu

Old racers race harder

#20 imugford

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:45 PM

nice - any chance of any picture with the body on the chassis of the underside ??

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users