i'm bang up for this...
as long as its got wheels

#42 pezzwa

slotn' mad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 04:38 PM

i just setup my chev with a ninco button mag and gave it a run, but to find that the giude fould often in the ninco track joins

are we aloud to file down the guide?

#43 Vinno

GP2 Driver

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 06:54 PM

The Ninco magnet you are using is the 4mm one. The ones we are using are 2mm thick. We will have enough to put in anyones car who races.

The Ninco 2mm magnets are the same as the Scalextric Sport magnets. They seem to have disappeared from the shops at present but we are waiting for some to arrive.

#44 bump

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 08:11 PM

Does anyone have an online reference for Trans Am's in Aus please? Something other than the Bob Jane Camaro or the Moffat Mustang, even a historic car that runs in Aus.

I'd like to do a Scalex kit as an Aus car for the race but I can't find anything other than the well-known two. The US cars are nice but if there's photos of another local Camaro or Mustang racer, I'd appreciate it.

thanks
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't

#45 DAVENIC

Manager - Eagle Ridge Raceway

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 08:33 PM

bump,

I don't know how to get more pics but what about something like this :

Posted Image

Something a bit different.

Or you could try Google Images.

Dave
"I spent most of my money on beer, women and slot cars. The rest I just wasted."

#46 pezzwa

slotn' mad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 10:20 PM

the mag is ok, the guide is my problem. where the joins are in the ninco track it is a tight fit as the scaly guide is a little wider than the ninco,
so can i file it for this comp?

#47 bump

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 10:29 PM

I hope so as we have the same thing at Willmot's Ninco track.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't

#48 boslot

rapidslots

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 10:31 PM

Hi pezzwa

Yes you can file the guide as some of the early scalextric guide were thicker.

Regards Bo

#49 pezzwa

slotn' mad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 10:36 PM

sweet, i did it to a spare guide and it runs great, taily too...

#50 Vinno

GP2 Driver

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 08:54 PM

Bo and myself did extensive testing last night of the Trans Ams in both Sport and Non Sport configeration.

We could find no difference in performance from either version and I actually found my Non Sport No16 George Follmer Mustang to do a best lap about half a tenth quicker than my Sport Penske Camaro. The Mustang has had more running owing to the fact that I prefer Fords. Saying that I think they are both very equal with the 2mm button magnet by Ninco.

Jim will have some in his shop late friday but I will get some myself to cover what we need along with some Devious has loaned for the race.

Rules will be:

Stock Scalextric Trans Ams with 2mm Sport button magnets or 2mm Ninco button magnets. Both are the same. Do not confuse the Ninco magnet with their thicker version that comes in most of their cars. The road versions are OK to race as are repaints and versions using the body from the Scalextric Trans Am model kits.

No lowering bodies onto chassis.

No filing down sides of chassis or body for float.

We have not decided on having body screws backed off. For those that don't know this allows the body to soak up bumps and vibrations in the track surface as well as letting the body tilt through corners slightly. It is a racing trick but can lead to screws falling out and shorting the track if the screw is not tight in the thread. We did try this last night and there is a small performance gain to be had.

No pumping guards.

Standard tyres and wheels.

Guides can be narrowed as this is a problem with the early Trans Ams when running on Ninco track.

No weight can be added and no lightening of any part of the car.

The cars will be scruitineered.

Bumpers can be removed as they will probably be broken off otherwise. The rear bumper on the Camaro is especially vulnerable.

Anything I have missed please let me know and Bo add anything else you can think of.

We will do a separate post once all is settled. A date will be arranged this weekend but we are trying for a Saturday Arvo-Night in the next four weeks.

#51 Devious Dave

Oz Rally Proxy Champ 2007/2013

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 09:47 PM

Bump, this website may help you with some other local Camaros and Mustangs..
http://oldracephotos.com/orp.html Devious.

#52 bump

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 08:47 AM

Vinno, to stop loosened screws falling out and into MY lane, a little tape over the holes does the trick.

Thanks Devious, I found a couple of cars there that say "Make Me". Jim Richards' Mustang looks the goods for a Scalex body kit, but not the race as the guards are pumped. Robin Pare's Camaro looks standard so that might be the car to race.

#53 Devious Dave

Oz Rally Proxy Champ 2007/2013

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 09:07 AM

Vinno, I use longer screws. They can be tightened up and still have room for movement. Devious.

#54 kalbfellp

Formula 1 Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,771 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 09:44 AM

Pares Camoao looks standard but the gaurds were pumped! probably about the same amount as the Scalex one! The Scalex is also the wrong model but I have one done in the same paint scheme but with the stripes further apart and it looks good.

Phil

#55 Vinno

GP2 Driver

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 07:21 PM

As far as loose screws go I use any with a different thread. 9mm Ninco screws are good as are Slotit screws.

#56 bump

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 02:01 PM

A tip if you're thinking of using one of the Scalex kit bodies on an existing Scalex car for this race.

Vinno's post about kits and Devious' great photo link made it easy to want to use an Aussie Camaro or Mustang for the race. As cheap as I am, I thought I could repaint a kit body and put it on an existing chassis such as Bob J's or a Sunoco one that I already have. However, with the Camaro, the under-grille bodywork and lower part of the front guards are attached to the chassis. So if you're repainting the body, you may also need a new chassis or you end up with a two-tone colour scheme.

And you'll need a driver figure, the kit cars don't have them.

#57 MiChAeL

Auslot Staff

• Auslotters
  • PipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 02:32 PM

you may also need a new chassis or you end up with a two-tone colour scheme.

with my re-paint body boslot found the race version of the yellow mustang, same colour scheme. so im going to do that re-paint for the race.
Posted Image

#58 Roland

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 10:09 PM

Guys,
not wanting to throw a spanner in the works, but what if I drilled the same sized hole (as the Mustang and Camaro) in my Scalex Vette chassis just behind the guide and glued in a 2mm Ninco magnet?

This might add some variety.

I also have since done the magnet swap on my old beat up Camaro you saw on Sunday, it's now a hoot to drive.

BTW, I have plenty of Ninco 2mm magnets in stock if anyone needs them.
:D
Cheers for now

Roland

#59 boslot

rapidslots

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 09:02 PM

Hi Roland

This race is only for Camaro's & mustang's and may be the next trans am race will be a non magnet race with the vetts then, I keep you posted.

Regards Bo

#60 Vinno

GP2 Driver

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 09:11 PM

An update on the date for the Trans Am race.

We are looking at Saturday Arvo/Night on the 25th of September assuming Jim can fit us in that day. I have spoken to him and he is confirming tomorrow.

First prize will be a Ninco oval Trackset donated by Armchair Racer.

Second prize will be a car yet to be decided and donated by Armchair Racer.

Threebond are also donating various products for prizes.

There will be an entry fee for the race and we will probably be putting in for Pizza or something similar during a break in racing.

It can't come quick enough for me. I love Pizza.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users