Auslot Endurance Trans Am Race

boslot

To answer your question on the magnets, they can be either sport button magnets or ninco button magnets. I'm not sure on the positioning of the magnets, but They will be in the front of the car somewhere, we will come up with basic rules for the cars and race and post them so that everyone knows what to do for the race.

IT department

Michael

auslotforums.gif

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All Scalex Mustang's and Camaro's come with the mounting position for a button magnet as there is only one chassis mould for each car. We have driven both this way and found them to be similar. The Ninco 2mm magnets are the same size as the Scalex sport magnets so will fit in the pod. As for their strength we will be checking this over the coming weeks.

As these types of races are teams races we are planning on mixing teams between experienced and non experienced racers so don't worry about who is a gun driver. We will make it as even as possible.

Vinno

Thanks you are right came home and had a look at my Mustangs and Camaro and they do have the mounting position up front for a button magnet.

Thanks now I have mounted the button magnet taken my silicones off put back the standard rubber removed the rear magnet and now I want to give it a run. The misses will kill me. I am blaming you.

Charlie

I have purchased my car for the race, the new boss mustang, which can be seen in the cars section, boslot has posted a picture of it.

Done about 400 laps in it so far, with the button magnet only. Goes very well and is easy to drive.

auslotforums.gif

Here are a couple of pics of Michaels 1970 Boss 302 Scalextric Mustang with Sport magnet in place racing Jacob with my Sport Camaro with weight and no magnet. I also ran my non magnet stock Mustang with weight and all were within a couple of tenths.

I know this is a raging debate but we have found the Sport Camaro to go no better than stock camaros and Mustangs and we would have at least a dozen versions of these cars now. The difference between front mag and no mag is nothing in times but they do feel different.

This was also the first test of my new layout with some hastily layed borders to allow room to slide. Still a lot of work to do but the new dogleg section in double outer curves feels like routed track to drive. Can lift the rear wheels as the track dips away to the left.

transam1.jpg

transam2.jpg

transam3.jpg

After giving the camaro's and mustang's a few test drives over the last few days, theyare very closely match in times, with the camaro's probably about 1 or 2 tenths quicker, and running them in a stock version with only the 2mm button magnet will mean even the novice slot car racer will not be disadvantaged in the race.

We need a few more starters for the trans am race, so if your unsure whether you should race please come forward and add you name to the start list. Experienced drivers will be match up with begineers to make the teams format even. The race will be a great opportunity to have a good nights racing and meet some of the other members of the forum.

IT department

Michael

auslotforums.gif

Do any of you guys want to give up on Ebay for a month and spend the money on a plane trip?

Davenic do you know of anyone down your way with a suitable track for holding a race? Why don't you start a similar topic for a Melbourne race.

Devious we want to make it as easy as possible for the beginners but we will do a comparison at Armchair very soon to see how close they are.

Peter I will do an explanation in the thread for Emu Park but there was no rocket science involved. It was more to do with the base itself than the track.

I'd be interested

I could run down from the central coast but I'd need to get a car

Maybe a good reason for the wife "but I needed it for the race" or "the entry fee was $60 and I got a free car"

Keep me informed

RePete

Keep it in the groove

Pete

For those who want to do some Trans Am repaints Armchair Racer has the Scalextric kits for $9.99 each.

The kit bodies fit straight on the slotcar chassis so any Moffat Mustangs or those like me who missed out on a Jane Camaro, these are nice and cheap.

I will be getting a few.

The Ninco magnet you are using is the 4mm one. The ones we are using are 2mm thick. We will have enough to put in anyones car who races.

The Ninco 2mm magnets are the same as the Scalextric Sport magnets. They seem to have disappeared from the shops at present but we are waiting for some to arrive.

Does anyone have an online reference for Trans Am's in Aus please? Something other than the Bob Jane Camaro or the Moffat Mustang, even a historic car that runs in Aus.

I'd like to do a Scalex kit as an Aus car for the race but I can't find anything other than the well-known two. The US cars are nice but if there's photos of another local Camaro or Mustang racer, I'd appreciate it.

thanks

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't

Bo and myself did extensive testing last night of the Trans Ams in both Sport and Non Sport configeration.

We could find no difference in performance from either version and I actually found my Non Sport No16 George Follmer Mustang to do a best lap about half a tenth quicker than my Sport Penske Camaro. The Mustang has had more running owing to the fact that I prefer Fords. Saying that I think they are both very equal with the 2mm button magnet by Ninco.

Jim will have some in his shop late friday but I will get some myself to cover what we need along with some Devious has loaned for the race.

Rules will be:

Stock Scalextric Trans Ams with 2mm Sport button magnets or 2mm Ninco button magnets. Both are the same. Do not confuse the Ninco magnet with their thicker version that comes in most of their cars. The road versions are OK to race as are repaints and versions using the body from the Scalextric Trans Am model kits.

No lowering bodies onto chassis.

No filing down sides of chassis or body for float.

We have not decided on having body screws backed off. For those that don't know this allows the body to soak up bumps and vibrations in the track surface as well as letting the body tilt through corners slightly. It is a racing trick but can lead to screws falling out and shorting the track if the screw is not tight in the thread. We did try this last night and there is a small performance gain to be had.

No pumping guards.

Standard tyres and wheels.

Guides can be narrowed as this is a problem with the early Trans Ams when running on Ninco track.

No weight can be added and no lightening of any part of the car.

The cars will be scruitineered.

Bumpers can be removed as they will probably be broken off otherwise. The rear bumper on the Camaro is especially vulnerable.

Anything I have missed please let me know and Bo add anything else you can think of.

We will do a separate post once all is settled. A date will be arranged this weekend but we are trying for a Saturday Arvo-Night in the next four weeks.