1/24 Vintage At Hornsby

Roland

Howdy all,

just briefly albeit too late I now have hard copies of the rules and regs for the Vintage/scale 1/24 racing at Hornsby. These will be available on request at Slot Shop when we open at the end of the month.

I don't have the results here with me at the moment, but off the top of my head I'll post the names of the winners. I'll correct these tomorrow if I have made an error

We had 4 guys up from adelaide.

Stockers class 1st

Neil Owen Adelaide

Trans Am class 1st

Wayne Wollongong or might have been Neil, I'll confirm this...

FJ/FX Holden class 1st

Jim Patterson from Wollongong

'50/'60s GP class 1st

Jim Patterson

Sports/Leman's class 1st

Neil Owen

Personally I suffered from a 50 hour week and working thru to 4 30 am at work as I was on call during the week, not to mention getting the shop ready, so I didn't do any pre race prep on my cars.

Also took the wrong controller on the Saturday and had to make do wich really took it's toll on my Stocker as my car is generally a top 3 finisher there.

Came home 2nd in the Trans am using a 7 ohm parma controller, so I was very happy with that.

5th in the FJ final, which is where I expected to finish.

Somewhere mid field in the GP final. Can't remember just at the mo.

The Sports class I looked fwd too, had the right controller with me on Sunday and qualified 2nd after choosing the wrong lane to qualify on *doh*

Took the race lead with my Mazda 787B on lap 1 then tried too hard to gap the field and had a long off.

Fell back to 2nd.

Bracket 2, took the lead from Neil Owen's very very fast GT40 as he was on the slowest lane, then just as I started gapping him a rear wheel fell off!!!!

I couldn't beleive it... luckily a marshal threw the wheel over and I had the tool in my pocket for some reason, put the wheel back on but the race was over as I had lost 7 laps to the field finishing the 2nd bracket last.

In the remaining 6x3 minute brackets I have never driven a slot car so hard. Lots of off's over doing it, but i had nothing to loose and everything to gain.

At the end of bracket 4 I was still last, but on the same lap as the bottom half of the field. One marshal after the race reckoned I lost 6 laps due to coming off too many times, so in reailty I was driving too hard. From bracket 6 onwards I decided to go as hard as I could without coming off, from memory I only deslotted 2 from Bkt 6 onwards.

Coming into the last bracket I had worked my way back to 5th, albeit 8 laps down on Neil the leader. I was 2 laps down Terry newsome in his beautiful Capri (hell of a nice guy too) and 1 lap down on my mate Bruce Nesmith's flying Ferrari in 4th.

It was do or die, I had 3 minutes to make up 2 1/2 laps, luckily for me Terry was on purple (pretty slow lane), can't remember which lane Bruce was on.

I unlapped myself from Bruce pretty quickly as I was on orange, which happens to best suit my car and then soon grabbed a lap back on Terry who then unfotunately had two off's straight after I passed him, so I soon made up the other lap and passed him for 3rd when he picked up his pace even more.

With about 1 minute to run I almost had a full lap gap and was in 3rd, 2nd was miles away, so I backed off and cruised to the line.

There were lot's of hand shakes and back slapping all round immediately after the race and really good clean racing all round.

I know most drivers momentarily backed off to let me passed cleanly in races and I was happy to do the same for them where ever possible. This led to good clean racing and in reality cost us all alot less than holding each other up.

All races had 2 heats with the top 4 place getters from each heat automatically progressing to the final.

Remember we race 3rd Friday night of the month and we alternate classes so we run 3 classes each month.

Hope to see you guys there soon.

Cheers for now

Roland