Online Petition For Aussie Cars

lavenlaar

• 2 weeks later...
Can't wait for a VE, interior or not!

I'm not too fussed about an interior either at this stage.

hopefully (if this gets off the ground) they'll see some demand... interiors may follow later?

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have a small tidbit of information regarding something very promising on this front for 2008. No information on which year but something from the only company to have shown interest in aussie cars.

It looks like you may yet eat your words Rick but I am sure you won't mind. :arggg:

Vinno,

I was talking to the sales rep for Southern Models and he was just shaking his head and saying where do theses rumours start from. Well I had to say it came from you. Sorry. He was saying that the cost for tooling up for a brand new car (not a repaint) is bewteen 100-400K. Lets say its right at the bottom of the range, 100K. Lets say your profit margin is 10 dollars per car. Thats a production run of 10,000 just to break even.

The news on a repaint is a little better, its low 5 figures. I interpreted this as meaning 10-30K. This would have been the Moffat Mustang cost. This is not taking into account any licencing fees etc.

Now Southern Models won the tender for the Toll/HSV cars and the potential for a VE commodore is a realistic possibility for late 08 early 09. Is this what you are hinting at? If you were hinting at a 70/80s touring car that currently does not exist in the Scaly range then keep dreaming. They were going to milk the Ford BE a little longer before going to the VE.

I asked if you could approach Southern Models to commission them to make car XX. No problems, you got the cash they will make it for you. 1000 signatures with a dedicated 100 per person commited and we can commission any car to be made. Or 138 signatures and $724.63 per person gets any car made. Now I want that John Goss XA but not at 724 dollar.

Once again I will be happy to eat all my words but Im being realistic.

cheers

rick1776

cheers

rick1776

Rick - id have an incling that the manufacturers $ margin must be pretty well lined as well as the retailers (which i will not disclose here ) id say the cost to produce the car "en masse" in China / India whereever, would be nowhere near the $100,000 + mark (somebody's pulling somebody's legs along the line ) - [yeah , and we make $10+ on a case of beer !!!!! HA! try $2-$4 - off special]

Lets say a $50 car SCX / scaley - if retailer makes $10 , wholesaler/manufacturer $10 .....that equals $30 - i dont know anything that comes from china making 10000 units equaling $30 !!! i'd be inclined to say closer to $5 tops to produce

All that aside - dont really care who makes it - even if one of these smaller european guys can do it for $100 !

I have a small tidbit of information regarding something very promising on this front for 2008. No information on which year but something from the only company to have shown interest in aussie cars.

It looks like you may yet eat your words Rick but I am sure you won't mind. ;)

Vinno,

I was talking to the sales rep for Southern Models and he was just shaking his head and saying where do theses rumours start from. Well I had to say it came from you. Sorry. He was saying that the cost for tooling up for a brand new car (not a repaint) is bewteen 100-400K. Lets say its right at the bottom of the range, 100K. Lets say your profit margin is 10 dollars per car. Thats a production run of 10,000 just to break even.

The news on a repaint is a little better, its low 5 figures. I interpreted this as meaning 10-30K. This would have been the Moffat Mustang cost. This is not taking into account any licencing fees etc.

Now Southern Models won the tender for the Toll/HSV cars and the potential for a VE commodore is a realistic possibility for late 08 early 09. Is this what you are hinting at? If you were hinting at a 70/80s touring car that currently does not exist in the Scaly range then keep dreaming. They were going to milk the Ford BE a little longer before going to the VE.

I asked if you could approach Southern Models to commission them to make car XX. No problems, you got the cash they will make it for you. 1000 signatures with a dedicated 100 per person commited and we can commission any car to be made. Or 138 signatures and $724.63 per person gets any car made. Now I want that John Goss XA but not at 724 dollar.

Once again I will be happy to eat all my words but Im being realistic.

cheers

rick1776

Haven't we already been down this track before? I will just wait and see as I doubt any more information will be given out until a release is announced officially. If it doesn't happen then I don't really care anyway as life will go on. It is just plastic in the shape of a bit of metal we strangely ogle.

Must remember not to let you in on any secrets though even though I am sure the sales rep has no idea who I am.

Lavenlaar,

I dont think 100K is unrealistic to tool up for a brand new car. How many dyes do you need for a car to be made? Body (1-3 dyes depending on the car), chassis, wheels, interior, spoilers, grill, driver, lights etc. Remember this is for a car that does not exist, not a repaint. You have to actually pay someone to CAD those designs up and then actually make the dyes.

Vinno,

No problems, you havent actually let me in on anything. I still have no idea what car they're not going to make. Alternatively the sales rep could have been having me on.

cheers

rick1776

cheers

rick1776

• 1 month later...