Scalextrics D Or Ninco D Or Scx Or Carrera D

smallnails

Hi guys

What would be the best way forward for me?

I am looking for a fairly large and electrically strong set.

I was thinking of going for the mountain mayhem set with a changing lanes digi set to make it all digital. i can get the 2 for under 600 from scalexworld.

But i dont know if scalextrics the way to go still? is it still the best value for money? As far as durability? The main reason i ask is i am returning to the slot car fold after some years away and haven't heard of ninco or scx or even carrera for that matter.

Can you put the other brands cars on the scalextrics digital track?

One more lil question does anyone here use the sportworld setup?

album_ok.gifalbum_ok.gifalbum_ok.gif

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This looks like one for you Rick!

What area are you in smallnails?

I ask this because "aussieslotter" is the one to ask about anything to do with Scalex digital

And if your in Sydney he's trying to get a group together to run on his "moderate" track

Here's a link to Ricks track

http://www.auslot.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3045

Gary

Edited by gazza

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

here's how I see it , and remember I am pro SSD (scalextric )

compatibilty for cars

:SSD will adapt all brands with the addition of a digital chip but does have trouble with some high RPM motors

: N digital looks to have the same or simiilar as SSD

:SCX digital , is restrited to scx digital cars only and their is a limited choice

: carrera pro-x digital ,I think ? carrera cars only and seen reports of people tranplanting chips in to other cars

expense

:SSD middle of the road , as you state your self $500-$600 will see you get a decent digital layout.

: ninco N-digital from what I have seen, about double that of SSD for the ninco digital masterset ($900 +)

:SCX , cheapest , and probably will be the one with the shortest life span

: carrera ' unknown to me ??

durabilty

:SSD , fair to good, can have continuity issues .

: ninco N-digital good , good sturdy track , good continuity

: SCX fair , they invented a whole new track system for their digital effort , and their have been reports of wiring and mechanical issues with the switching sections

: carrera pro-x, fair to good , I will not make any more comment as I don't know enough on the carrera system

I don't believe sport world was ever officially released here , and reading on the international forums has had quite a few bugs ,as with everything some enjoy it and some don't.

hope this helps some

sax

Thanks for your help guys.

I am located in Tas.

I think then i shall stick with the ssd option, seem like they have the versatility over the others.

I like the idea of a 1/24 track from carrera tho and that might be an option down the line if i feel the need for bigger cars.

Stock on the island here is fairly dear with one hobby shop selling the mountain mayhem set for 395 and the digi lane change set for 595. It sux because i like to support local businesses but that is just a little to much a price difference over what you can buy online. <_< Its a dilemma but i might buy my cars off the local guy and tracks online.

Thanks again guys.

IStock on the island here is fairly dear with one hobby shop selling the mountain mayhem set for 395 and the digi lane change set for 595.

if you have a toys r us where you are - mountain mayhem on was [not sure if still on] "special" (even though this is the going price for some places on the mainland) for $250

Edited by slotoz

Hi guys

What would be the best way forward for me?

I am looking for a fairly large and electrically strong set.

I was thinking of going for the mountain mayhem set with a changing lanes digi set to make it all digital. i can get the 2 for under 600 from scalexworld.

But i dont know if scalextrics the way to go still? is it still the best value for money? As far as durability? The main reason i ask is i am returning to the slot car fold after some years away and haven't heard of ninco or scx or even carrera for that matter.

Can you put the other brands cars on the scalextrics digital track?

One more lil question does anyone here use the sportworld setup?

Electrically strong?...Ninco

Value for money.......SSD

Sportsworld...for analogue only not SSD

Ninco realeased here yesterday......problems noted so far:

Controllers too touchy, cheap feel

Power set to 14.8 volts....doesnt suit non mag or small tracks, would need to buy variable unit to compensate.

Lane change flippers......plastic, non conductive, essentially dead spots.

Dead strips for every lane changer....non conductive, another dead spot

Cars losing control, eg shooting off track or losing brakes.......due to dirty braids

Larger radius corners..........suits large tracks, not small

Price ............$850 for starts, then add etc over double of Scaley

Popularity....Do your mates use Ninco or Scaley.......you dont want to have something that your mates cant race on, youll be lonely.

Lane changers (Ninco)....reports of cars deslotting at high speed, and only a straight changer and pit changer, no crossover straight changer or curved changers

Cars.......... Scalextric better range, smoother drivetrain

Availibility............Scalextric better stocks generally available

Ninco positives....best track conductivity, better power, chips non solder to suit beginners, controller vibrates on best lap time and refuelling reminder, a multilane piece so 4 lanes at start/finish line possible, a control tower display available, wider track.

SSD negatives

Power..only runs 4 cars without modifications to system

Controllers...........cheap n nasty

Track.....needs power booster cables, connections inferior to Ninco

Lane changers.....need to be powered externally with another power supply to lessen load on system, although up to 3 lane changers ok.

Power supply........needs upgrading, not enough herbs, needs variable supply to boost volts.

Lap counting.........misses laps on larger tracks where cars can gain max speed down straight. Rare but deeper slot guide fixes this.

Flippers, conductive but only 50% success due to poor design, although a $1 magnet can help fix this to a 95% success.

SSD positives

No dead strip on lane changers to get stuck on

Flippers metal and conductive

Lane changers......curved left to right and right left available, both have inner to outer or outer to inner options.

Price.....half

Availibility....generally better, although they were slow to get started

Cars....... wider range, quieter drivetrain

Popularity.......much wider used so more chance you can race on your mates track and vice versa

Plug in chips........Takara/Scaley cars have 30 second clip in clip out chip module, rumoured to be on all Scaley cars one day

Accessories....good range

In summary.......Out of the box Ninco seems to have the edge.

After a few mods I think Scalextric is just as good or better.

Both will need power upgrades to get a smooth poerful track.

Cheers

Edited by aussieslotter

Smoke, mirrors and obsolescence. It’s a jungle out there.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Price ............$850 for starts, then add etc over double of Scaley

wow !! where do you shop for Ninco?

$850??????????????? <_<

This must be the gold plated version :lol:

Peter

Cheers, Peter VH

Mr Slotcar website       MrSlotcar NEW Facebook Page       MrTrax modular track systems      MrTrax Facebook page

Owner of Australia's fastest ever lap time on a Blue King track @ 1.4838 secs. And the fastest pass ever on a 1/4 mile Drag strip @ 203.2 kmh

Designer and manufacturer of quality domestic and commercial Tracks.

Both Logos.jpg

ok try $749 less discount=)

And WAIT, new problems being posted every day on Slotforum re Ninco N Digital.

New problems posted by Ninco owners include:

Motors running hot

Cars losing power when lights applied

Lane changers a long way from powerbase refusing to work

No time code on aux output for PC laptiming

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

One thing you guys should be aware of, is a lot of erroneous information being posted about Ninco Digital on Slot Forum, by SSD users. So be wary of copying information from that forum without checking cross postings etc for whether the complaint was actually said by a Ninco digital user, or being mis/re-quoted by a bitter SSD user. I have seen some shocking just plain sarcastic attacks on other forums in the past 2 weeks, - purely for the sake of venting . . with no personal experience at all.

There has been a virtual war of accusations on SCI forums over this, and a couple of guys best known from SlotForum have been "busted" in the past week.

The C*** and counter accusations got so bad it was just disgusting, and a couple of digital threads ended up being locked down by the mods. BUT - from actual Ninco users, the "problems" have been very minor and most of them have only been reported by a single user. In a couple of cases it turned out to be operator error. Worth checking this guy's site, and following his progress. http://www.75th-meu.com/slottesting.htm He has chipped about 30 cars thus far to N-Digital and is doing about 10 more per week. He reports virtually zero problems despite a large, complex track, many hours driving, and voiding his warrantee by butchering the pitlane to make it longer with a Dremel and soldering iron . . .

Overall, the actual N-Digital users including some switching from "other digital systems" have been overwhelmingly positive about the stability and sturdiness of the system.

Overall, price may send some buyers to SSD and if I had one, I wouldn't be moaning about it, but after LOTS of reading, I am glad I bought Ninco analogue track, and will certainly go the N-Digital way for digital when the "domestic chief financial controller" gives permission - or makes the mistake of looking the other way for long enough.

- How long is long enough?, dunno, but if you hear reports of a man killed by having 20 slot cars rammed down his throat . . you'll know I estimated it wrong. :D:blink::D:D:D

Edited by SlotsNZ

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

@SlotsNZ,

Id have to disagree. Theres always 2 sides to a story. For a start a SCI regular who hasnt frequented SF for a long while suddenly reappearred and made wild claims about the Ninco system, probably out of lack of experience or lack of testing, but was upset when an electronic engineers with decades of experience proved him wrong, he then proceeded to insult a whole heap of SF guys because he was upset ,and was consequently banned last week. And yes a few SF members did give him a bit back.

One of the SF members youre probably talking about uses lab standard equipment to test not only Ninco N digital but also SSD, Carrera and SCX, and almost everyone agrees his findings are unbiased and scientifically based.

There no question the Ninco system has faults, just like SSD does. Its just not faults were talking about but also features or lack therein.

Also one would have to question the validity of your post as its obviously anti SSD and pro Ninco. Theres no doubt Ninco make great track and cars.

One would also be wary of such rash statements coming from a member who only joined ten minutes before making such a post.

As for SCI, I would be concerned about a forum that deletes only certain posts then locks a thread, leaving the left posts distorted and out of context. This is a great forum, please dont bring your SCI debate here.

On a lighter note I seen your progress pics and hey anyone who has a permanent digital track is ok by my books, so welcome, and look foward to seeing it finished.

Cheers.

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Hi Aussie Slotter,

SCI was just the forum I found first, and became active in a few weeks ago. It was actually a link from there in someone's post last night that found me this place "just around the corner"

I was not as you said attempting to "This is a great forum, please dont bring your SCI debate here."

Last thing I want to do is bring bad vibes here. As I said myself, the way people have been abusing each other on both those other forums is just plain ugly, and must be very off-putting to some - especially newbies. I think it has no place among people sharing a passion/hobby/sport together. . . except maybe the cricketers sledging each other . . that gets pretty amusing sometimes. . . .

I just wanted to point out that some of the criticism of Ninco Digital has been unjustified or overstated, so that people will really look into it as a possibility for themselves, not write it off.

I am not anti-SSD - note my own words about SSD - "and if I had one, I wouldn't be moaning about it" I don't personally claim to have any digital experience. I think they are all a great step forward - as an option - for us slot car enthusiasts.

Personally, if I was starting with digital from scratch it would be a tough call between SSD and D-Digital, but I would definitely prefer one of those over the more restrictive systems.

I just happen to have a heap of Ninco track which is mostly assembled in it's final layout, so when I can, I'll go N-Digital.

I have made a few posts in different forums as I saw something I might add, serious or humorous.

Now if you can just attach your complete track to an email and send it over to me, I reckon I can just about fit it in our double garage . . . . . amazing track, thanks for all the pics on your thread about it - now on my hard drive as inspiration.

Cheers

Mark

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Hi Smallnails,

You've made a good choice and here at Auslot you will always find members ready to help with good advice for Digi or Analogue.

I've been running on Artin track (analogue) for ages, never really considered Digital but waited to see what Ninco was going to do.

I picked up a Ninco N-Digital master set, including the Pit Stop and Lap Counter for the Family (Yeah right!!!! :D:blink: ) for Christmas.

Been enjoying racing three SCX Nascars around a small layout in the living room.

Now I've had NO experience with Digital till two days ago but it's a lot, A LOT of fun.

No prob's so far except for stopping on the dead strips (as mentioned earlier),

I would position them better on a larger track to minimise this.

Lap counter is good but that's all it does count laps and show the position of the cars. Would have been nice if they added a light to the tower as it's hard to see in low lighting.

Pit Stop racing is great, one nice touch is that two laps after the fuel runs out your car slows down. Fun doing a splash and dash too.

So far been having a ball with Digital, as I know you will very soon.

Please post your experiences I would enjoy hearing them.

Best Regards

NimROD

I have seen some shocking just plain sarcastic attacks on other forums in the past 2 weeks, - purely for the sake of venting . . with no personal experience at all.

SlotsNZ, I think we saw a lot of that on 'other' forums when even the concept of digital had the indecency of existing at all!

I'm interested to hear about the N-Digital thing NimRod! I'll be VERY interested to see how it goes having a big think about it.

I'm very interested to find out how it all goes 'cause I'm possibly a lazy bones when it comes to.. erm.. stuff. Don't the digital bits just poke into the braids or something?

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

I have seen some shocking just plain sarcastic attacks on other forums in the past 2 weeks, - purely for the sake of venting . . with no personal experience at all.

SlotsNZ, I think we saw a lot of that on 'other' forums when even the concept of digital had the indecency of existing at all!

Fancy THAT !!!!!!

Digital having the audacity to escape from the train boys and show it's face in OUR world

LOL

Even for guys that aren't interested in digital, I think what Nimrod just said, - says it all - he's having a ball.

Add to that, the fun guys have had with AussieSlotters track that I have read her. Personally, I can't wait to try it, but I'll have to wait a bit. There is no Ninco digital in NZ, and even SSD is unknown around this region. I had to go to Auckland last month even to have a look at some sets - but just in boxes.

I might just have to make a run over to Sydney in January and see for myself . . . . . Does anyone know if places like ArmChair Racer or other shops/tracks have any digital sets actually live and running in the shop? (preferably SSD or Ninco)