World Sports Cars

gazza

With most of the slotcar makers bringing out a lot of the WSC from the championships during the 80's .... i thought i'd post a few pic's from back then .............. if thats ok!

oh and sorry about the grammar as well!

Sandown 1984

Sandown1984.jpg

Jarama 1987

JaramaSpain1987.jpg

LeMans 1988

LeMans1988.jpg

LeMans1988-1.jpg

Suzuka 1989

Suzuka1989.jpg

Suzuka1989-1.jpg

Steintribune,Norisring 198?

SteintribuneGermany.jpg

Gary

Edited by gazza

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a pic of the Rothmans cars driving down the highway to Sandown for the race,could not imagine that happening now days.

The next Proxy Race that we will be organising is going to be based on the Group C cars! Watch for the rules soon.

Phil

I have a pic of the Rothmans cars driving down the highway to Sandown for the race,could not imagine that happening now days.

Hi Phil

They wouldn't have had too far to go as Porsche Cars Australia was only just up the Dandenong Road. Mind you your probably right can't see it happening now

Lenny

Ps Looking forward to this years WPR

The next Proxy Race that we will be organising is going to be based on the Group C cars! Watch for the rules soon.

Phil

Can I race a VESKANDA?

ACtually, I would like to throw down the guantlet on that one. IS there any slot manufacturor that is willing to do this car?

& for those who do not know the car, it was built by Adelaide Racing engineering shop K and A engineering, under finance of Bernie Van Elsen. It was the first ever "ground effects" sports car built from scratch by K & A. Up until fholden, it was the outright lap record holder on many Australian circuits, in the hands of John Bowe.

The car raced only once in the WSC, at Sandown, in the hands of John Bowe & Dick Johnson. The thing qualified 8th (6secs behind pole. Considering the effort put into this entry & compared against the Sauber Mercs in the same race, this thing was not too bad), but due to the 6L Chev power plant, proved to be a bit too thirsty & went beyond the fuel allowance.

Still, I think this would make a nice Oddity to any slot car makers lineup

Sandown_Park-1988-11-20-026.jpg

south_1.jpg

Catchfence.jpg

Gary - what's the black car in the second of the Suzuka pics? Look's kinds scary!

The picture of the Stientribune? is that around the back of the track at the Norisring? I think the building was the steps that were used for Hitlers big rallies and nowadays the track comes across the bottom of the stairs (making it into a fab grandstand) and the pits are across in the park the masses used to be ordered to stand about in.. :)

I've never heard of that car before Hoffy - that's way cool! Not under any circumstances pretty but way cool! :(

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

Gary - what's the black car in the second of the Suzuka pics? Look's kinds scary!

The picture of the Stientribune? is that around the back of the track at the Norisring?

I think the black car might be a Toyota,there's Toyota on the side of the car and in the pit area,but it might just be one of the main sponsors of the race.

And yes it's at the back of Norisring

Here's a pic of one of turn one at Norisring nice and tight

NorisringGermany.jpg

Gary

Gary

fantastic pictures, its great seeing all those "slot-it" cars for real. I'm planning a 3 lane routed track and those pics are great inspiration, love that turn one at Norisring that will have to be at one end of my circuit.

Are the pics from a web site or books?

Paul

Most of the pic's a from a book "The World Atlas of Motor Racing" pub 1989 ... Mallard Press.

There's heaps of other pic's as well from early 20's till 89

F1,Jags,2ltr,Sports cars,Nascar colour and b&w shots

not a bad old ref book the only problem is that it's an American publication so there is not a great deal of pic's on Australia

But it does have a great shot of a couple of 3.4 Jag's crossing the Long Bridge at Longford 1959

Longford1959.jpg

Gary

Gary

Most of the pic's a from a book "The World Atlas of Motor Racing" pub 1989 ... Mallard Press.

There's heaps of other pic's as well from early 20's till 89

F1,Jags,2ltr,Sports cars,Nascar colour and b&w shots

not a bad old ref book the only problem is that it's an American publication so there is not a great deal of pic's on Australia

But it does have a great shot of a couple of 3.4 Jag's crossing the Long Bridge at Longford 1959

Longford1959.jpg

Gary

Hey, funny you should mention that book....& now I know why I have seen many of those photo's before!!!! My mother gave me that one as a chrissy pressy all those years ago.

Anyhow, back to the VESKANDA, I gotta say that I have a sweet spot for that one. While I was at High School, I did work experience for K&A. It certainly was one nice car (yes, true, not the best looking but hey...) Aparently its made its way to WA & is all blue. A second one was also built (Well, started, but I am not sure if it was ever completed) to go to the US & the IMSA series

anyhow, here is a clearer piccy

lg_26.jpg

Edited by hoffy

south_1.jpg

Catchfence.jpg

Hoffy: The VESKANDA does not comply with the WSC rules. These races were run under the group C regulations. Love the Longford pic. Only watched the racing from Newry Corner one year,mostly viewed from Pub Corner as I could get in for free and simply go back to Granny's for lunch,here house was with in the track area!

The drivers in the pic are David McKay,John Youl and Bob Holden. John Joul's family owned a property called Symmons' Plains and were involved with the building of the track on their property!

Phil

Edited by kalbfellp

Hoffy: The VESKANDA does not comply with the WSC rules. These races were run under the group C regulations. Love the Longford pic. Only watched the racing from Newry Corner one year,mostly viewed from Pub Corner as I could get in for free and simply go back to Granny's for lunch,here house was with in the track area!

The drivers in the pic are David McKay,John Youl and Bob Holden. John Joul's family owned a property called Symmons' Plains and were involved with the building of the track on their property!

Phil

Not that I am going to build one, but are you sure? It did race at Sandown in 88 as a C1 car. True, it did get excluded, but this was due to fuel consumption

south_1.jpg

Catchfence.jpg

Not sure what was illegal about it but this is a quote " something approching FISA's Group C regulations" But J.B. did manage to qualify the car in p8 a pretty good result considering the car was about 2 years old and well down on horsepower compared to the rest of the C1 cars.

Phil

Found a few more .... from the WSC Championship and also the IMSA series

SilkCutSqueeze.jpg

XJRCastrol.jpg

Castrol3.jpg

AEG2.jpg

AEG1.jpg

Duo.jpg

Silverstone1988.jpg

Edited by gazza

Gary

Another set of great pictures there Gary. I managed to buy that book (World Atlas Of Motor Racing) on ebay second hand and its fantastic. The drawings of the major track layouts plus photos are very inspiring and will give me plenty of ideas for my track. Thanks for putting up the pictures. If you know of any other great books describing tracks around the world please let me know.

Paul

Paul

Geoff Brabham Nissan ZX-Turbo Heartland Park,Kansas 1989

Nissan.jpg

Heartland Park

hp221gp.jpg

http://www.silhouet.com/motorsport/tracks/tracks.html

Nurburgring 1989

Nurburgring1989.jpg

Edited by gazza

Gary

What about the Mazda?

th_Renown.jpg

Gary

That's way cool Gary - I never knew that tehy'd ever won anything (except a dodogy Bathurst or touring car title.. ;) ) oops - the post was a goos thing post :o untile I got sistracted. :lol:

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.