Sign in to follow this  
sax0607

Digital Racing @ Sax's

hey Rick ,

got the phidget locally at jaycar , they have a couple of different types , serial and parallel ports as well as a new USB one , its a kit that I have not put together yet, the program is down loadable from their web site .

as far as your new lane change board is concerned I don't know that the average digital user would know what to do with it at the moment , but I would certainly give it a go , if your powering all flippers you could run the track in reverse and still do lane changes !!!

2 tracks for the price of 1 ,have you tried reverse circuit its a challange !

Are any of your local punters considering converting to digital after running on your track ?

its interesting listening to the comments after people have actually tried it .

Matt

Love the reverse track idea Sax, thats genial, have to think of a way to register laps though, install extra set of IR sensors on the other side of opto sensors and have them switchable. Solved. Ill make sure you get a credit=), how would your track go in reverse?

The board Im thinking of making would suit mainly high end market in plastic but be appealing to all digital ROUTED tracks=) cause right now you have to buy a sub standard Scaley one and use the parts out of it to build a digital lane changer. It would also charge the flipper with the correct polarity.

Next track I want to do now is a routed digital, CNC routed, magnetic braid, superimposed over my current base board, using my own upgraded chip, Im really after true racing lines, not limited by factory designs, although the curved lane change is a smooth curve and a possible line, its a line probably never used in reality, and the straight changer is way too short and although satisfactory is no where realistic.

Two local guys are considering Ninco, two have SSD and another one or two are considering SSD.

cheers

The best form of satisfaction is success.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

would need a couple of sensors prior to each lane change , old powerbase for laps and timing , but it would work in reverse.

have run my track a few times in reverse , its a whole new world , lap times blow out to 10's and 11's

its a real challenge

was thinking about talking to gref about his routed track and working pit bays , hybird digital ?

it would make for the best lane changers any corner or straight as long as you wanted................. mmmmm slip in piece of mdf roouted for long straight lane change , not so difficult !!!

gref how much magna braid do you have ?

sax

Yer the super long lane change is what Im after.

With the LC's just put 2 boards, one to entry flipper going normal direction and one for the other flipper when the direction is changed, essentially 2 x LC in one. Could be done although not worth the effort.

I think Gref said the pit bays were a gimmick? Give him some "virtual" fuel to work with via PC and he might see the potential=)

Hybrid digital? Yup analogue track/cars with digital sensors, put a board in the car that only emits freq I.D. via LED to trigger opto's.

Rick

www.scorpiuswireless.com

gref how much magna braid do you have ?

leftover? Not much, maybe a metre or 2? It's on a reel in the shed wardrobe, haven't looked at it for a while.

Were you thinking of using me as a guinea pig? Let me know, if you wanna test my "planned attack" or something different? I'd say I'll be keen

2 x australian ego champion

regards

Shane

Fulel racing in first track build --> https://youtu.be/nG1EyFkbJSs

My second track build --> 

raceday - https://youtu.be/8WXYQ528iKM

@ gref , was looking at routing a straight digital cross over to place onto my back straight . it would be at least twice the length of a standard digital cross over to allow full speed lane change, the thought was to use manga braid , and maybe you had 5 metre"s or so left over that I could purchase , if not where did you get yours from ?

sax

here's a couple of thoughts on how I anticipate hosting some social events soon , this is taking into account that not everyone will want to purchase a digital chip for a single event,

practise and rookie racing ,

this not meant to offend , digital racing is a different experience and takes some getting used to.

cars :

porsche boxters

audi tt

nissan 350z

these cars are supplied by me for the event and are ready to run , they are rockets and almost bullet proof ,

I have only broken 1 and that was tuesday night when it hit the floor and smashed a wheel.

of course you would have option of using your own !!!

advanced racing

V8s

chosen becuase they are robust and easy to fit chips in. and they are a challenge to drive on my track

as I wish to protect my collection some what and we all know we drive someone elses cars to the limit and beyond.................. I have couple of thoughts on getting analog users to participate

option 1

I keep a reserve of 6 -8 digital chips that are lent to the drivers for the duration of the racing

fitting of these chips is quick ,5 mins per car and non intrusive ,no holes drilled as I can place the LED in the case mounting screw hole in the chassis (proven to work) .the chip and LED is temporarly held in place with BLUTAC . chip is returned after racing and the car re-instated to its original condition (3 mins)

option 2

guest drivers supply own V8 as bond and use an identical car supplied by me that is digital ready, any broken or damaged parts are retieved off guests car.

(trying to get guest drivers not to abuse my cars ).

option 3

use your own car and

purchase 1 diigital chip cost $27 that can be easily removed and replaced or be put into any car of your choice

of course all this will change over time as people will either want to race digital or not , but you really need to experience it at least once.

I hope that all this does not sound to harsh , but if I have 6 of my cars on track @ minimum of $ 50 each , it starts to add up.

I am not saying damage will occur or that it normally does , some of our members will atest to this (espsix , knoath, gref ,nathan, and shedracer)

please feel free to comment

and suggestions are more than welcome , wether you are a local and intend to race or not, or have experience with this form of racing (aussieslotter !!! )

sax

Thanks for posting these sax. Now I have an idea about how I can organise digital rounds next year. I might get a chip or 2 in the near future.

I'll send you a PM.

Edited by Freddy

Cheers,

Frederick

Hi Sax,

Can I suggest you suggest the Takara cars, plug n play, analogue or digital in seconds. JGTC class?

Just a thought, lovely class arent they.

Cheers.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

I totally agree aussieslotter , but didn't think the plug and play modules were readily availible here ?

these cars are awesome on my track and provide the closest racing , have been using them as demonstration vehicles for visitors

sax

advanced racing

option 1

I keep a reserve of 6 -8 digital chips that are lent to the drivers for the duration of the racing

fitting of these chips is quick ,5 mins per car and non intrusive ,no holes drilled as I can place the LED in the case mounting screw hole in the chassis (proven to work) .the chip and LED is temporarly held in place with BLUTAC . chip is returned after racing and the car re-instated to its original condition (3 mins)

sounds good to me :lol:

2 x australian ego champion

regards

Shane

Fulel racing in first track build --> https://youtu.be/nG1EyFkbJSs

My second track build --> 

raceday - https://youtu.be/8WXYQ528iKM

I totally agree aussieslotter , but didn't think the plug and play modules were readily availible here ?

these cars are awesome on my track and provide the closest racing , have been using them as demonstration vehicles for visitors

sax

Im sure you could get them from UK?

Pretty slack of Hornby not to have stock huh....really slack.

Cheers

www.scorpiuswireless.com

oh yeah forgot to mention ,

all cars will run magnets ,until further notice, this is a seriously tough track to conquer without them .

thanks for the reply gref

it may take a combination of the options to please everyone and thats OK ,as long as each competitor arrives knowing what they want to do.

I also did not mention that I like to set some basic track rules that are different to analog , I normally let people know upon arrival . but here is the first , DON'T STOP your car on the racing part of the track , you must remember others are in the same lane and will clean you up............. pull into the pits thats what its there for.

thanks auusieslotter ,

you would think hornby would jump at the chance to use the plug in system ,it woould surely make it easier for novices , I'll have a hunt around and see who has them in the U.K

sax

Edited by sax0607

Just a reminder that sax0607 is running his digital track on Saturday afternoon so if you're intersted in coming please contact him.

Sax and espsix will be there and so will I (hopefully). For me it will just be a trial session. I'm not sure how much 'racing' will actually be done.

I'm looking forward to it.

Cheers,

Frederick

freddy , freddy , freddy

I had not anounced this as an open invite on purpose !

I have work cmmitments that can mean I need to leave immeadiatly at any time , I would hate to have somebody travel a large distance (ie Ballarat ) and be turned away. thier will only certain weekends or week nights for an open invite.

please consult me first in future !!!!

now having stated that if people are planning on coming on saturday please PM me ASAP for details , I need to know prior to 3:00 pm Friday 1/12/06 , so that I can TRY to make other work arrangments ,

sax

Sorry sax!

Didn't mean to cause any confusion.

Edited by Freddy

Cheers,

Frederick

Thanks to sax for letting me use his track today.

I had a lot of fun racing and could really see myself doing it more often. It adds a whole new dimension to the racing. It doesn't take long to learn how to program your cars and to change lanes but once you do it is lots of fun to do.

When Tobias (bastumannen) comes back in March/April and (hopefully) starts building a track, I'll try and convince him to go digital. But I'd be happy either way.

Just from trying digital today, something's going to seem different at Ged's on the 16th. It's going to be missing something. I'll be looking at cutting someone off and then I can't find the lane change button.

I'd love to race a bit more so I get fully hooked but right now you've got a very happy customer.

Now, if only we could get Eno to try it out.

Cheers,

Frederick

Gotta agree Freddy.

I had a blast once again. My 4 yo son surprised me! :blink:

Usually when we set up a track at home it's small by comparison to Matt's track, so to see him come to terms with a bit of speed on the straights, then backing off thru the twisty bits was awesome. Especially when he was driving from one end of the track.... the other end is 6.5 mts away!! ;)

I thought he judged it very well.

And he was even changing lanes! :D

Looks like my analog track will be no good in a couple of months, now he's been spoiled!!!! :P

And he couldn't stop talking about it all the way home!

A huge thank you to Matt!!!

A great arvo had by Dad and Son! :D

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

The track was much larger then I expected. I mainly raced from the left hand side. I tried racing in the middle and towards the right and realised what a difference the view could make.

I had a few great passing maneuvers on some people. If I was tailing someone, my favourite thing to do was to change lanes in the middle of the hill part near the top of the track and then change back at the next twin crossover point and come out just in front. Of course sometimes I took it a bit too fine and both cars crashed.

Cheers,

Frederick

I think I was lucky not to be given a timeout! :P

And you know Brett's idea of 5 minutes! :D

Edited by Freddy

Cheers,

Frederick

Hey Sax,

Good to see your track is pleasing the guys, well done, ill have to drive down for a race.

Cheers

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Any time aussieslotter ,

or vice-versa ,I'll be on holidays during Febuary and will be interstate on occasions if I am coming up your way I will let you know prior

sax