Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:40 PM

Nice job buddy love the ripple strips :alcohol:

#23 schuey19

Kart Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:58 PM

While I was waiting for some paint to dry on the driver station panel, I decided to do some finishing work on one corner. Apart from a small piece the size of a playing card for testing purposes, this is the first scenery work I've done. As I said before, its all Woodlands Scenics.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I did the base colour, then while still slightly wet sprayed some adhesive on. Once I sprinkled on what I wanted and gently patted it down, I sprayed a fine mist of craft sealant. I'll do another coat later on this evening. Its mainly to hold everything in place. Last thing I want is for a car to come off and drag half the place with it back on.

Edited by schuey19, 01 May 2007 - 05:07 PM.

#24 Shed Racer

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:13 PM

View Postschuey19, on May 1 2007, 05:07 PM, said:

While I was waiting for some paint to dry on the driver station panel, I decided to do some finishing work on one corner. Apart from a small piece the size of a playing card for testing purposes, this is the first scenery work I've done. As I said before, its all Woodlands Scenics.

Posted Image

I sprayed a fine mist of craft sealant. I'll do another coat later on this evening.

Really like the natural look Schuey, the grass shows a bit of wear closer to the track from the occasional off. Whats the craft sealant your using over the top, is it kind of like a matt laquer?

SR

#25 Slider

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:28 PM

Looks good Schuey ,done well . keep us informed
Cheers Slider

#26 knoath

Formula 3 Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:41 PM

This is looking great schuey!
I love the Castrol wall with the grassed area.... looks very natural.
Keep the pics coming!
Cheers,
Dick

SCMR build thread
Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

#27 schuey19

Kart Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:45 PM

Finished the drivers station panel tonight. Just have to give it a clear coat. As with the rest of the setup, its fully removable as a sigle piece, mounted by five screws and connected to the table through a single plug.

Posted Image

Also took another shot of the light gantry, showing the two looms that come out from the bottom. Small one to power the IR LEDs that can be seen on the underside, and larger one which connects to the PC harness.

Posted Image

And a shot of what I'm using to seal the scenery stuff. This can was kicking around, the next one I'll get will be a matt, though this doesn't leave a gloss coat. I have done a sandtrap using Woodland Scenics fine ballst and have given it five coats of the stuff.

Posted Image

Hope you enjoy and thanks for the feedback.

Edited by schuey19, 01 May 2007 - 10:45 PM.

#28 schuey19

Kart Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:53 PM

Just a quick update. Back half of the circuit is basically done. Have run out of turf material so I've come to a halt. Some parts of the white lines need a bit of a trim. I just used correction tape.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm so close to the end I am thinking of my next layout!

Thanks for looking.

Edited by schuey19, 21 May 2007 - 09:56 PM.

#29 Cadabra

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 11:29 AM

That is looking fantastic, time well spent.
After many months of scouring Auslot forum, Slot forum, Archer etc, I'm in the process of designing my own 3 lane routed digital track and your layout is very very close to what i'm looking at building.

Just wondering how you are finding the Blackboard paint and how it might compare to the Ferrodor you mentioned you had raced on ???.

Also how's the visibilty thru the twisty bits near the overpass ???.

Congratulations Michael that's a damn fine effort.

Dave.
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY / GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

#30 kalbfellp

Formula 1 Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 01:21 PM

The track is looking good,this one is taking about the same amount of time to build as my new one!

I used pin stipping tape on the old track for the edge and over the years it has lifted so I am going to seal this track white stripes with clear and see how that goes.

Phil

#31 phoeno29

V8 Supercar Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 01:36 PM

Looks excellent Sch, once you get some colour on those hills and a few sponsors signs up, the whole thing comes alive. I love the bigpond hairpin and scenery, well done. :)

Typical thou, by the time you have got close to finishing the scenery, you will have done 100000 laps, learnt from the whole experience, and have the next one half planned out in the back of the mind.

#32 schuey19

Kart Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 04:34 PM

Thanks guys.

Okay, now a response to two points.

Also how's the visibilty thru the twisty bits near the overpass ??

Typical thou, by the time you have got close to finishing the scenery, you will have done 100000 laps, learnt from the whole experience, and have the next one half planned out in the back of the mind.

With the experience I now have, I would change it. After doing a squillion laps I have come up with ways that would fix that visibility problem. Its not that major, as if you stand to right of the drivers station near the corner of the table, you can see the track that is hidden . Its only red lane that is affected. But, coming under the bridge, white lane has the same issue going left. (still with me?) But same as with red, stand towards the corner of the table and you have a clearer line of sight.

Any other layout though would mean opening up the turns, and therefore losing lap length. I have managed a length of 13.84m in the centre lane on a 12x6ft footprint.

Edited by schuey19, 22 May 2007 - 04:34 PM.

#33 schuey19

Kart Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 06:35 PM

Just wondering how you are finding the Blackboard paint and how it might compare to the Ferrodor you mentioned you had raced on ???.

While the ferrodor offers great grip, you will go through tyres at a great rate. It does look good though when you get the 'marbles' off the racing line. Also, as the surface is like a very fine grade wet/dry sand paper, I probably wouldn't use it if you will be having novices on your track. It does nasty work to the bodies if they end up with wheels in the air. I found this out the first time I raced on Boslot's old track. My brand new Fly Porsche 917 that I had won from last year's raffle was looking like I had got it off ebay for 50c by the end of the night. But that was the first time that I had raced slots for easily 13 years.

As for the chalkboard paint, I have found that when I first put it on, it offered heaps of grip. In time, either due to dust or rubber going down , like I said in the first post of this thread it has lost it's 'bite'. Now some overspray from scenery work has put a fine 'dusting' over parts, enough to swing the tail out a bit more. Once I do more laps though, that'll clear up. I don't intend to use WD40 on tyres either, just water.

Hope that answers some questions.

Edited by schuey19, 22 May 2007 - 06:42 PM.

#34 kalbfellp

Formula 1 Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 12:09 AM

I don't intend to use WD40 on tyres either, just water.
Why? Water on tyres only tends to clean Silicone tyres. Tape is a better cleaner than water on Rubber.

Phil

#35 SlotsNZ

GP2 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:58 AM

That is GREAT work! I really like the lack of grass where the drivers shortcut across the ripple strips.

Now you need to cut some car wheel tracks across the grass to imitate "Skaife's progress"

I think he was confuddled last weekend and thought he was in the WRC.
Inaugural and undefeated "Pie-Bone 400 champion" For of course, team WDG
Slots addict 1st class
My Track Oakland Raceway V2 | | Our club - HBMRC | | Club intro on Youtube

#36 Ontheflipside

IQ test result - Negative :)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:04 AM

View PostSlotsNZ, on May 23 2007, 06:07 AM, said:

That is GREAT work! I really like the lack of grass where the drivers shortcut across the ripple strips.

Well done, love racing lines but I guess too many and placed on every corner would create havoc with inexperienced racers, which we all seem to get from time to time (me included)!

Can't look at the pics too closely, there always seems to be one of them "Blue" cars out in front! :lol:

FS
It can't be all that bad. I did remember I forgot

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2013 WRP / SCX Rally Proxy Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

Posted Image

#37 Slider

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 01:14 PM

Can't look at the pics too closely, there always seems to be one of them "Blue" cars out in front!

LOL :lol: :lol: :o I love it not that I'm bias at all. FORD
Slider

#38 Vinno

GP2 Driver

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:14 PM

View Postkalbfellp, on May 23 2007, 12:18 AM, said:

Why? Water on tyres only tends to clean Silicone tyres. Tape is a better cleaner than water on Rubber.

Phil

Not what we have found Phil. I use an old Tee Towel whetted and folded over. A bit of a burnout before the heat and the tyres work well. Schuey you may need to vacuum the track to get the dust off. I do either that or wipe mine with a damp cloth. Drys fast and no more dust.

#39 schuey19

Kart Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 02:32 PM

Schuey you may need to vacuum the track to get the dust off. I do either that or wipe mine with a damp cloth. Drys fast and no more dust.

It will get a good doing over with a vacuum when I've finished the scenery. It was getting covered all the time, but since I've been doing the greenery I haven't covered it until I make some framework to rest the covers on. Don't want it resting on the green stueff then taking half of it off when I go to use it. I do use a damp cloth to wipe it down when its really noticeable.

At the moment I want to refrain from using it as I'm not sure if it will do anything to the surface over the long run. Anyway, there's enough grip, I don't think its warranted.

Michael

#40 schuey19

Kart Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:28 PM

Absolutely no progress to report, as the last few weeks here at home have been hectic culminating in us moving house over the weekend just gone. Missed our monthly meet too, sorry guys, I should of let you know. Anyway, just gotten back online, so I thought I would show a couple of pics of the track apart for transport.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The drivers stations panel is removed, and if the trip was any longer than the five min drive that it was, I would of placed a length of plywood across the exposed end of the table to prevent any damage to the track face. So far there does not seem to be any damage whatsoever to report, though the track is still apart, standing up against the garage walls.

Edited by schuey19, 11 April 2010 - 03:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users