Your Thoughts

Wovtam

G’day All

Here’s a suggestion that the “Admin Team†may want to consider…

How about incorporating a TRACK DIRECTORY in the Forum.

Forum members could post basic details about their tracks listing such things as

The Track Name, State and Suburb it’s located and Name of Owner & Contact info. An example could look something like this:

The Gallows Raceway (2 lane Scalextric)

N.S.W. Gorokan

WOVTAM (For further details contact owner by email via the Forum)

Tracks could be grouped by their States, perhaps a map of Australia could be utilized, set up in such a way that members could ‘click’ on their home state to obtain a list of tracks nearby. It would also be advantageous to members planing holidays, they could access the location of tracks several hours away or on the other side of our great country. Forum members may even be very surprised to learn there is another track just 30 minutes down the road.

So, so you feel the administrators should consider this idea? Would the Forum members be willing to support this if it was to be adopted? Let’s hear what you think.

'til next time close racing

WOVTAM

Great idea Wovtam ... I could make a website for it pretty easily. I'll just get an Australian map, divide it into states, and once clicked, you are taken to the states respective website. I'll give it a go later tonight if I can and post results here.

Ive Just been working on a PHP database driven tracks directory, its will take a couple a days to complete, but it would allow people to add thier own tracks automatically as well as modifiy them or remove them at thier will. It would also allow for searching of the tracks database.

Perhaps when its finished you could include it in your website Jacob.

Downer of a post, Cobra but thanks for reminding us out of any complacency. Another job for the weekend but one well worth doing.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't

I agree with what cobra is saying, JAcob shouldn't be rushing into getting this track directory up and running until the admins and supermods have discussed this but it seems he has. There any many advantages and disadvantages of the track directory, and i think for the moment it should be put on hold, cobra has given us a remind of the disadvantages.

IT department

Michael

auslotforums.gif

But if you organise to meet up with someone, and give them your address, you show them your car collection etc, who knows what happens. I'm not saying any member of the forum may steal from another member but a guess veiwing contact another member via email saying their a member orangise a meet. It's something that will need to be discussed a bit further i think.

IT department

Michael

auslotforums.gif

I think the idea of the directory is good and posts like cobras remind us of what can happen when giving out too much information.

One of the main reasons for this site is to bring slotters together so maybe we need to include a warning about what information is given out should be included or set up a table with only track type, area located [Penrith sububs] and email for example.

The directory can not be used as yet so it is good to have these types of discussions before completion.

....thats provided commercial properties dont get more than twenty racers , then they'll need all sorts of health and safety issues covered, not to mention having anything that has any sort of electrical current running through it checked, listed and tag certified by a qualified electrical contractor every three months. Not to mention the need for a disabled toilet separate to the male and female toilets.

..and god help us if we forget the fire exits and extinguishers.

( As Jamie at SF used to say: " Grabs coat and runs away")

If the Martians landed tomorrow and see dogs leading humans along on a leash just so they dont have to pick up their own excrement, seriously, who are they going to think is in charge down here!!

One of the early posts suggested an entry could have just enough information to identify an area, race schedule and classes and costs if any, and contact details.

From then on its up to the host to put in place whatever process they feel comfortable with, because ultimately you're inviting someone to your home or work.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't

every time you buy or sell on ebay or put your return address on the back of a parcel you run the same risk.

Good point, Rally 2600.

I've had dealings with you, itelectrical, nimrod, blata9 and others, I'm sure.

They all know my address, phone number etc. I have used my Credit Card online.

If we stay paranoid that people are going to knock our stuff off, noone will hook up and race.

If I wrote that I was robbed at an ATM yesterday, I doubt that it would prevent anyone who read it from using an ATM.

Sh#t happens.

"I spent most of my money on beer, women and slot cars. The rest I just wasted."