Help With Norm Beechey Monaro?

grt

Hi everyone,

Was hoping someone might be able to help me out with identifying one of the sponsors of the 1971 Norm Beechey Monaro. I am trying to recreate this car using a clear body I received recently (courtesy of Ashley, aka hoffy)

I am trying to reproduce all the badges and sponsor logos so I can do it all myself, but am having pronlems identifying one particular sponsor/logo.

I have managed to find quite a few pics on the internet, such as the one below, but none of them show a clear view of the sponsor just to the left of the "NORM BEECHEY" sign.

nbmonaro1webhq4.jpg

I have also got pics off the net of the Biante Model of this particular car, but again that particular logo does not show up clearly on the pictures (just a smudge of white).

Just wondering if any holden buffs might know what it is, and/or have better pics of the actual race car that might show it more clearly. Or perhaps someone has the Biante model and can describe or take a pic of that particular decal (although it does look a little different on the models).

I have checked out Pattos decals, but he only does the number 4 version, which is slightly different and doesn't have this particular logo.

Any help woould be greatly appreciated.

Graeme

~~~~~~

(Life is like a sewer....................What you get out of it depends on what you put into it!)

https://gtoutweb.com/index.htm

Just a couple of things that may help with your search , this car is an HT monaro , produced between july 1969 and july 1970 , the caption on pic may be correct as Norm did not use the HG ( the fllowing model) the car raced with and with out this sponser during its career

here's a link to the current owners of the car

Beechy's HT Monaro

sax

AKA HKGTS

Just had a look through my copy of AMC which has the Beechey Monaro in it ,but there is nothing to see that is clear.

As the pic in question is positioned just before his name,i think,and it looks like it might be an add for his speed shop at the time.

Norm_Beechey_Speed_Shop_-_Repaired.jpg

Gary

Sorry had another look ...... got my wires crossed,the above pic it is not,so just do the car from 1970

Then all you have to do is find out what the logo is behind the shell sign on both sides

Beechey_Monaro_Calder_1970_web.jpg

Norm_Beechey_HT_Monaro_Bathurst_30-.jpg

Or just run it like this one and have neither

Norm_Beechey_Calder_ATCC_1970.jpg

Edited by gazza

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

Thanks for the replies guys, although I am no closer to finding out what that missing sponsor is.

I was thinking of doing the #4 car gazza, but after a close inspection, I noticed the clear body I have has the enlarged front air dams that the #1 car clearly has.

If I can't find anything more, I will either do the number 4 version instead, or just put in the speed shop logo you found gazza. I probably shouldn't be so nitpicky, but I have always been a bit of a perfectionist, and so once I decided to reproduce that particular version, I wanted to get it as close as possible. I have even gone as far as making up my own decals to reproduce the GTS and 5l V8 badges for this car, and the super-roo stripes and Falcon GT badges for the Moffat GTHO I am also doing.

Not sure how long this will take me, as I am still in the middle of perfecting the decals, and finding the best way to avoid paint bleeding and outlines. Then there is the chrome and black detailing, stripes and no doubt several top coats before the whole thing is finished. Then I will have to work ouy how to attach the driver platform and the chassis.

I will post photos once I have something worth photographing.

Graeme

~~~~~~

(Life is like a sewer....................What you get out of it depends on what you put into it!)

The problem with doing a racecar remake is that they swap and change the logo's around to suit different sponsors and events,so the photo you see is usually a one off thing

Here's two more with a different logo on the rear

Norm_Beechey_Monaro_Calder_1969.jpg

This one says it's at Surfers 1970

BeecheySurfers70.jpg

Gary

Gary

The Number 4 car is a HK monaro ( july 68 - july 69 ) this was Norms first monaro , if you have a HT shell the rear ends and grill are totally different , if you are using the old sunset poly carb shell 1/24 scale (clear) it is a mix of HK and HT and never really looks like either to a monaro enthusiast .

Norms speed shop was less than a 1km from my original home in coburg (I did not know who he was back then), it was strange co-incedence that I ended up owning and collecting monaros.

sax

AKA HKGTS

Gazza,

I think the logo on the back of the #4 bathurst car was an Australian Made sticker with the boomerang and flag...

BeecheysMonaro.jpg

Sorry for the lack of focus....

Edited by buzzard

Cheers

Kev.

I don't suffer from senility, I totally enjoy it.

Any mags covering Bob Janes' Camaro and/or Allan Moffits #9 Mustang might yield some pics of Beecheys' #1 Monaro as the 71' ATCC would have been when he campaigned this this car after winning the ATC Championship in 70'. And I cant imao Norm be far from the front.

Its not easy to find pics of Allan Moffats' #1 XY GTHO III. As he drove the XA (update to XB)Hardtop for the 74' ATCC series wearing his signiture Brute #33. Was Stormin Norm'ns' famous Monaro the car he used in his tittle defence in 1971 ?

I'll keep looking, I wasn't aware of this #1 monaro, thanks for the pic.

Edited by slo1quick

I have managed to find quite a few pics on the internet, such as the one below, but none of them show a clear view of the sponsor just to the left of the "NORM BEECHEY" sign.

Hi Gref

The sticker you are talking about is for ROH mag wheels.

The number one livery would be for the 1971 year I would imagine as he was reigning Australian Touring car Champion after victoy in the 1970 championship.you may notice that the car is running ROH Dragmag* Wheels instead of the Minilite type wheels of the previous year hence the ROH sticker on the car.

I think I have an ROH advert in a Australian Motorsport Yearbook somewhere If I can access a scanner I do a jpeg and send it to you

*(I think thats what they were called)

Cheers , Lenny

HI Gref and Vinno

I just had a look at that issue of AMC and it looks like Dave Bowden has restored the car to the 1970 champ year livery.

I'm sure I have a magazine,program or book with an ROH ad/logo somewhere, just may take some time to find it

LB

Edited by lenny broke

AMC issue#25 has a 2 page spread on 1:18 scale model of this car,pages 114/115.

Shows a good shot of the ROH logo and Autralia made Logo. Dont know how to post pics....still

Thanks slo1quick,

That would be fantastic if you could scan them in or photograph them. If you would like to just email the pics to me (gt@alphalink.com.au), I can post them up so others can access them as well.

Either that, or go here to upload the images to imageshack, and then just cut & paste the URL into your soltforum reply post. Thats what I use.

Thanks to all the other members who also provided info about the missing logos. Will also try hunting them up on the net as well, but scanned pics from the mag spreads would be great if anyone can manage it.

Cheers, <_<

Graeme

~~~~~~

That's the best i can do at the moment, this was taken in 1972

Beechey.jpg

I'll try and hunt trough some old Spots Car mags to see if i can get a colour pic of the logo

NormsShop.jpg

GTS-350.jpg

Gary

Edited by gazza

Gary

Thanks Gary,

Tried to find the orginal ROH coloured logo, but they only use their current B&W one at present on the website. So using the new one as a basis, and the colours I could make out on your pic, made up my own version that should be pretty close.

If you or someone can check it against the original, and pass back any comments, it would be much appreciated.

rohcfi4.jpg

May well have to do the same with the Australian made log, as the new one is the green & gold triangle, and I haven't found the older style on the internet anywhere.

Thanks again everyone for all you help. I am nearly there now! <_<

Graeme

~~~~~~

Hi Guys,

A very big thanks to all those who helped with ideas and suggestions. I emailed the Australian Made site and was able to get hold of a scan of the old logo, so I think I now have a complete set of pics to make my decals from.

In case anyone else is interested in them, here are my sets for the Beechey HT Monaro #1 and the Moffat XY Phase 3 #9. I have better resolutions ones for anyone might want to use them. Just email me at gt@alphalink.com.au and I'll send them to you.

manarodecalssmlqv6.jpggthoallsmlbc2.jpg

Cheers everyone, and thanks again for all your help! :):blink::lol:

Graeme

~~~~~~

Hi Guys,

A very big thanks to all those who helped with ideas and suggestions. I emailed the Australian Made site and was able to get hold of a scan of the old logo, so I think I now have a complete set of pics to make my decals from.

In case anyone else is interested in them, here are my sets for the Beechey HT Monaro #1 and the Moffat XY Phase 3 #9. I have better resolutions ones for anyone might want to use them. Just email me at gt@alphalink.com.au and I'll send them to you.

manarodecalssmlqv6.jpggthoallsmlbc2.jpg

Cheers everyone, and thanks again for all your help! :):D:D

The ROH logo is different ( on the model). I tried emailing you, but didn't work. Confirm email address and I will try again. gt@alphalink.com.au

The ROH logo is wrong. The one on the '71 car was a white rectangular back ground with red ROH on it.

This is the nearest I can find and only Mono. But I am sure some one car easily convert it. The white back ground was inclined at about 30 degrees...

gallery_89_128_1355.jpg

Phil

Hi All

My memory is a bit hazy of the 70's but didn't that logo have some sort of psychodealic pattern behind the lettering. I didn't take a lot of notice of ROH stuff back then ,I preferred Globe alloy wheels.

I'll have a look on the weekend I may have an example of the type somewhere.

Lenny.