ListerStorm

Jgtc Cusco Subaru Project

I came across a post over on SCI about this car and after searching to learn of the car I found that Subaru had a 2002 car in the GT300 series that was white.

So with this in mind I was determined to make this car. I am starting out with a 1/32 Hornby WRX Subaru plastic kit. The problem I was dealing with this kit compared to the real car is the different fenders which are more of a wide body kit. I had started the project thinking of cutting the fenders from a Ninco Supra to get the look but the Ninco is a little bigger than the model so that wouldnt work. Now I have started sculpting the fenders with epoxy putty which still need to be sanded and shaped correctly. I also had to remove the roof air scoop as the real car doesnt have one and I have filled it in with basic putty. I am still undecided on which chassis to use for the car or just scratchbuild one for it. Still a long way to go on it but its a starting point.

Here is a link to the real car:

Cusco Subaru Impreza

Here is the starting point on mine:

186159592.jpg

186159608.jpg

186159624.jpg

Lee

Florida, USA

cars_STi.gif

Looking good mate, boy you have your work cut out for you though.

Reminds me of what Vinno did to the GOM Alfa GTV, adding a substantial amount of body work to the original slot. It turned out really well;

[GOM Alfa GTV Here]

Tonysalfa10.jpg

Cheers Matt

manic our off to a great start it will be a very rewarding project to complete, the cusco subaru from 2003 is an absolute weapon and i can fully appreciate why you would go to such great lengths......envious already magoo ;)

ENTRANT IN THE 2007 DOWN UNDER PROXY SERIES LOLA T70 MK3 B

ishot14vw5.jpg

Thanks guys,

After a couple hours on this the past day or two I have got the fenders shaped and sanded. I still have some smoothing out to do and still need to build on to the side ground effects and square them off. I also had to open up the wheel openings higher up in the fenders and cut half the length off the rear bumper. So far I am pretty happy with the progress. It has turned out a pretty easy conversion considering it has been years since I worked with model putty.

186707894.jpg

186707907.jpg

186707914.jpg

186707925.jpg

186707932.jpg

186707934.jpg

Lee

Florida, USA

cars_STi.gif

Looking good already!

Reminds me, I need to post pictures of my widebody SCX WRX rally car, the one I flared the guards using a soldering iron and a tablespoon.

Love the idea of modelling putty, you can really go to town. What brand is it and how do you use it? (setting time, fingers or scraping tools, how to paint etc) How well does it stand up to crashes?

May the downforce be with you.

Reminds me, I need to post pictures of my widebody SCX WRX rally car, the one I flared the guards using a soldering iron and a tablespoon.

Now that sounds very intresting. Would really like to see that one.

I used Tamiya quick putty on this. I moulded it on the body with my fingers. It takes about 6hrs to dry and then I just used sandpaper to shape it the way I wanted.

As for painting the putty can be painted just like the body. I am not sure how ell it holds up but it is much harder than the plastic the body is made out of.

Lee

Florida, USA

cars_STi.gif

gday mate just wondering how the cusco subaru was progressing any chance of an update :ph34r:

ishot14vw5.jpg

After putting this on the backburner the past couple months I brought it back out this afternoon to work on it. I decided on a Artin chassis with Ninco JGTC wheels and the rear spoiler from the Ninco Supra and used some plastruct for the wing supports. I still need to fit the interior and do a little touch up body work but its almost ready for paint and then racing. Its getting there, just a little slower than I had planned. I still might switch the chassis over to a Slot It HRS sidewinder so I dont have to hack up the interior with the inline motor the artin chassis has. I hope to have it all finished this weekend.

206324199.jpg

206324211.jpg

206324225.jpg

206324238.jpg

Lee

Florida, USA

cars_STi.gif

that looks bloody awesome mate, after having done this model myself i can vouch for how much work you would have done to get it to this stage.....great work and i am sooooooo jelous....well done :(

ishot14vw5.jpg

Thank you sir <_< I just finished up the front spoiler and got the final body and chassis work done. Off to paint next, its getting closer to being finished.

Yours was looking good also, did you get it finished? Any pics?

Lee

Florida, USA

cars_STi.gif

I just got it finished up today, well almost. I still need the decals sized right. I ended up keeping the Artin chassis but this morning I fitted a Ninco NC-5 motor out of my donor Supra that I stole the wheels and wing from. I also fit the Ninco guide on it. Unfortunately by keeping the Artin chassis the interior wouldnt work with the inline setup so I tinted all the windows. Its not perfect but it looks good enough for racing around the track.

208309676.jpg

208309695.jpg

208309712.jpg

208309729.jpg

208309740.jpg

208309770.jpg

Lee

Florida, USA

cars_STi.gif

sensational job lister love the guards it will look quite spectacular once painted and decals applied, i finished my subaru project also just check out the old post for the update......again great job mate, which artin chassis did you use for the wrx..cheers magoo :)

ishot14vw5.jpg

Thanks Magoo, It is painted as I was doing the white version of the car. I just cant get the decals sized correctly to finish it off. I dont make decals well so I need to find someone that can make them. As for the chassis, its just a Artin Fatboy/nascar chassis. Just one of there cheap chassis but it worked perfect for the project. Thanks again, glad you like it. <_<

Lee

Florida, USA

cars_STi.gif

Hey Lister, great job. :lol: Only thing I could suggest is increasing the rake on the spoiler.

Stu

Old racers race harder