My Home Track

jab

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice track. I see a lot of crossovers as well. That must make it that little bit more exciting. The pitlane looks quite intricate too. Is anymore scenery going to be added?

Edited by Freddy

Cheers,

Frederick

Hi mate, yes there is a lot to do yet, the back section and the left handside will be a big mountain. The top road will be about 5 to 6 hundred mm high. A little bit of a Bathurst look about it but instead of going up and down the montain it will go up and across and then down the front of it.

itelectrical, I'm in the Dandenong Ranges in Victoria.

Edited by jab

Hi eno, I'm in Monbulk mate, 10 min away! lol small world hey? The track is getting there, I had to cut down on track because of expense and come to a compromise with the Mrs, after all, it did start of as a gift for the wife. She wanted a Bathurst layout, but I have taken over and the Bathurst set is now in the box under the table. I convinced the Mrs to go digital, if we are going to do a permanent track. lol lucky me! but she loves it just as much as I do lucky me again!!

Did you build the tables? I have to do that next (sorta next gotta clean up first) and don't really know where to start. I'll be putting a 4 lane 'analog' scx track downstairs.. I'm getting a whole pile of track on Monday!

Jamtown's a stone's throw from here. I've been here nearly a year and kept getting wildly lost mistaking Montrose and Monbulk & following the signs to the wrong one until I figured I had to rename one of them!

What else are you going to do to it? Looks like a great layout. :lol:

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

Jamtown! lol not any more, thats a long time ago. Yes, I built the table. I used to be a cabinet maker /carpenter, so yell out if you get stuck or need to know anything. As far as my track goes, I am still waiting for scx to pull thier finger out with supplies. I think if you look up scx digital it means backorder lol. oh well just have to wait. I think I still need 8 pkts of tight corners and 8 pkts of standard corners and then I can start on the landscape. The only area that will be level will be the pit area, the rest will be mountain roads and heaps of trees and ferns, a bit like a rainforest thats the agreement with the Mrs lol. I like the clean manicured lawns look, so the pit end of the track will be the clean look and the rest will be mountain foresty look. I'm looking forward to starting the landscape.

Cool - thanks for the offer! If I gave you the general dimension do you reckon you could give me a bit of a quick mud map of how to go about it please? I quite like banging and hacking away at bits of future sawdust once I get going I'm just not sure how to go about building tables from scratch.. :D

We were coming back from the mountain through Monbulk the other week. Luke (the 4yo) was looking at the creek on the left and decided we need to have that sort of scenery.

"How the hell are we going to do that?" I wondered aloud.. 'easy - we'll just go and buy baby ferns and baby trees and plant them round the track'. :lol:

The number of times I get "We're going to do this bit too" as we pootle about cracks me up! He keeps wanting Puffing Billy and a rail crossing too but I've put my foot down on that one.. :D

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

slotters working together...great to see boys. was just wondering jab seeing as you are cabinet maker/carpenter /////builder of a bloody amazing track and table how about a bit of a post describing what you did/do and what materials you used for the best results. i am sure there would be lots of us budding track/table building wannabees that would love to know the best way to go about it B) cheers magoo

ENTRANT IN THE 2007 DOWN UNDER PROXY SERIES LOLA T70 MK3 B

ishot14vw5.jpg

lol there's lots of ways to build a table, it depends on what you want or can afford. In my case I had some steel table frames laying about and put some sheets on top so I could get it out of the house if needed. I set it up for the wife's birthday present and didn't think it was going to get this serious but it has, so I just bought some 70x35 mm pine and basically made like a wall frame the same size as the sheets screwed the sheets to the frame and laid it on the steel table frames. I have to make it so the sheets can be pulled apart and carried out otherwise I would bolt some timber legs on it. The table top is 4.3mtr x 2.4mtr and there are 3 steel table frames under it. I can post a pic if you realiy want to see under my table lol. Seriously though, if anyone needs some advice I'm happy to help. B)

Gosh - I'm sure that sounds literate but how can I make sawdust and erm normally sawdust.. and smoke? B)

I'm so con-fuzzled. I'm actually waiting for a 'delivery' on monday before I decide exactly how the track will work though..

I actually may need parts I can reach and parts I send trhe 4yo on top of to build..

my planning os poor right now 'cause i'm about to be allowed to be in a big giant spot that I'm no expecting to be ableto stand with no clues.. kinda like Barbera Striesand's left nostril.. :D

Is the return loop bit going to sit on the hill a level below the other two?

That's going to be sensational!

I'll have to get a digital car so I can come and play (I'm too bloody rubbish to use someone else's..)

That is simply wicked. I notice you didn't use Luke's theory of planting baby trees around the place for scenery though! B)

Hey I'm going to have to go about 18 foot by 6'6" on the long side. The extra table on the short side will be 10' by 8'. Hah - the 9yo is telling me that he's going to build the tables at the moment 'cause the boys built a workbench with their Dad on the weekend so now he knows how.. :P

I probably need to make it pretty strong so the little guys can get on it and make the scenery :o

I'd like to use something like fallen sticks and papier-mache to build the table but I reckon something like wood or shipboard or flooring bits would be more realistic..

It's funny - I still don't understand metric stuff.

Oh - I'll sneak some extra table space on the sides by putting bookcases up the visible edges as per the missus's request. I'm actually thinking of getting Ikea ones or something so I can put glass doors on it and use it for display of the cars. Stuff the books - I'll take the rubbish ones to the Op Shop - who needs to build a shrine to the fact that you can read when you can build a shrine to the fact that you have slot cars?? :)

Yes, the return loop bit is going to sit on the hill below. Its going to go across the front of the hill 4 times then levels out as it gets closer to pit entrance. Some more track turned up today!!! I think all I need now is 2xhalf straight 2xfull straight and 4x tight corners and I'm done buying track thank f*** for that, give the wallet a rest. I worked out the design with trackpower, how good is that program? But I can't work out how to get a copy of the track layout to be able to post it on the forum. I'm not very good on the computer skills, I know how to play games though. Anyway eno, my offer still stands, if you need advice just ask. You can buy a digital car but I have got a couple of cars that have been abused by a few mates, so you could have a go with them. That's not the problem, the problem is that it's really my Mrs' slot car set and she's the one you have to be nice to lol lol. She loves it to the point that if I do work on it, I have to try and make sure she can still cut a few laps lol but if you want to have a go and look at it when it is finished, it shouldn't be a problem.

Just did ask - need to know how to make things not fall over - the boy (9) just ot back from his dad's and suggected he's building a half a house. While I'm sure it's easyish sorta.. I dunno though - I used to be a computer dude - not clever with actual physical stuff.

I'll bring the missus over - she'll be pregnant at your missus and they'll sit aside and drink tea.. :oB):)