What is the first thing you do to a new car  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What is the first thing you do to a new car

• Give it a test run
    • Pull out the magnet
    • True the tyres
    • Nothing - I display them
    • Take photos and post them on Auslot Forum

What's the first thing you do when you unwrap that parcel and you have a brand new car in front of you? ;)

I must confess I give it a quick test run before even oiling it up.

I couldn't put all the options on there but if the first thing you do is :

hide it from the wife

or

drool

then maybe its better we don't know ;)

"I spent most of my money on beer, women and slot cars. The rest I just wasted."

With the few new cars I've gotten lately I've taken the magnet out as soon as I've taken it out of the box. I haven't driven a car with a magnet in a long time, apart from the small button magnet in the scalex F1's.

First thing I do is run it to see if and what problems the car has , specially with that one brand that we all know and love ;) Then I pull it apart to make sure its lubed and everything is in its place , 20 laps at 6 volts then I run the hell out of it :)

DE38 ;)

dale1-90x90-av.gifDE38

I said I take photos to post on Auslot but not always. As does DE38 I pull it apart first and lube etc.

Depending on the brand I may glue in the motor or Silicone it in. I also silicone the bushes if required. Generally more powerful cars.

I don't run them in as such but do drive smoothly without accelerating full throttle for about five minutes. I then up the pace as the car smooths out. If they don't smooth out I will stop and clean it up and check gear mesh etc.

I'm unfortunately a big kid with new stuff - get it out & do some soft laps then PLAY. Once I've thrown it at the scenery often enough & decided "Yep - that's the best thing I've ever bought" (a la the Scaley GT40's - love 'em) I get on one of the online shop sites & start planning the next trip to the shops! :)

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

• 3 years later...

Glue in the engine and bearings, loosen the body screws and soften the tyres with 226.

If its a ninco i fully brace the chassis aswell.

With the scalextric car ill put weight in it as far foward as possible.

Then put tape over all the body screw holes.

If you are running ur cars on wooden routed track its better to leave all the magnets in them and if u have spare ones use them as weight.

Glue the tires if they need it.

Then run it.

That what i do.

:unsure::lol:

Merry Christmas.

for the people who buy and display them....why do u take out the magnet is it so they wont loss any magnatisn just wondering because i think my "moff"stang is gonna sit on the shelf for a couple of months

thanks

haven't you tried that car yet !!!

"You Maniacs!.... You blew it up!.. Ah, damn you!...God damn you all to hell! "

I run mine first, just 3 - 5 laps in most cases. I want to see how good/bad/indifferent/FLY job the maker made of the thing at the factory.

Once I see and hear the "state of the nation" I take it to "The Bench" and do the usual GTL (glue true lube) thing, plus any more radical stuff like refitting parts so the wheels don't rub, the body fits the chassis, the wheels actually turn - don't we just LOVE that particular maker . . . . .

Then I put them back on woodie and see how much difference I made. The improvements usually take it to "I'll just do another 20 laps, oh, maybe another 20, and another" stage.

With my limited experience, I then usually end up repeating some of the steps above to some extent until I get the "sewing machine" effect.

veeeeeeeeeeeeery satisfying.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

First thing I do is run it to see if and what problems the car has , specially with that one brand that we all know and love :unsure: Then I pull it apart to make sure its lubed and everything is in its place , 20 laps at 6 volts then I run the hell out of it :lol:

Hey guys, haven't been around for a little while due to various reasons, but back I am.

I'm the same as DE38, few lazy laps to check on where the cars at. Then depending on its purpose will pull it down for a quick oil, T & G etc. If its a planned racer (V32) will run it in on a little test box I've made, then mag out and run some more laps to work out where best to place some lead.

If its gonna live on the shelf, just oil it up & run a few more slow laps, then back in the box she goes.

SR.

I always give them a test run to see how they look on the track. Then they get the rear axle out, motor run in, bushes glued in, motor and bushes oiled, magnet removed. Rear wheels sanded, all tyres sanded, rear tyres glued on. Finally, I get to drive.

I've had a flurry of purchases lately so I have a backlog of about 17 cars to prepare, but somehow I've still managed to drive them all..........

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by Stevo41

Glue in the engine and bearings, loosen the body screws and soften the tyres with 226.

If its a ninco i fully brace the chassis aswell.

With the scalextric car ill put weight in it as far foward as possible.

Then put tape over all the body screw holes.

If you are running ur cars on wooden routed track its better to leave all the magnets in them and if u have spare ones use them as weight.

Glue the tires if they need it.

Then run it.

That what i do.

:arggg: :arggg:

You told me you put it on the longest straight you can find and run it as fast as possible into the wall . then pull it apart to fix it . You said it saved time because you didn't have to pull it apart twice :arggg:

The termites split tape idea is a gem , he puts tape over the screw holes then cuts a small cross in the tape just over the hole so he can still get at the screw but it doesn't fall out onto the track if it loosens all the way out. Brilliant and simple secondary method to keep those little body screws where they should be.