Which Porsche?

Stevo41

Hi all,

I am looking at buying a (small) Ninco set to get started - it comes with Golf GTI cars which I think will be good for my son (rugged).

I'll have enough cash left to buy an aftermarket car. I would like a Porsche 911 or similar and have seen Ninco, Scalectrix and Fly models on various websites....

Which brings me to my question. If you could only buy 1 car from these manufacturers, which would it be? I expect over time I might buy some parts for it like tyres and crown gear, but really I am looking for the best car 'out of the box'.

Are the sold seperately cars better than those that come with a set?

Thanks in advance for sharing some of your expertise with a newcomer.

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Steve and welcome to the Forum mate.

Firstly let me say that I'm a Fly ADDICT!!! I love the detail of these cars and the challenge they sometimes, (more than not) provide to get them running well. :( That being said, I think you should stay clear of FLY if you can only purchase 1 car for yourself.

If you have your heart set on a Porsche 911 then the best car RTR is the Scalextric offering. I would not get a Ninco Porsche as they are not as good on the track as Scalextric IMO. Get yourself a Scalextric 911, there are more than 20 liveries so you'll find one you like the look of.

However, if it doesn't have to be a 911 then have a VERY close look at Ninco's JGTC (All-Japan Grand Touring Car championship)/SUPER GT cars. They are ALL fantastic on the track and would make a great first car.

Checkout [NINCO'S WEB PAGE HERE]

Other than those manufactures, I would give Slot.it a good look too, especially if you want to upgrade your car at a later date.

Cheers Matt ;)

Edited by manic35

Welcome Steve

Basically my advice if buying a set is to get as big as your budget can afford because if you want to add to it, adding extra track pieces will cost you a bomb!

Is the set the regular oval (2wd?) or the 9.3m version (4wd) of the golfs? both of these were produced 2-3 years ago and now not (i don't think) readily available. if you are after an oval, ninco has the 'truck racing' set as well - these I think have the newer 55ohm controllers rather than the 70 ohm controllers. my first set was the 4wd version and yes the cars are pretty hardy except for the rear spoilers.

as for porsches - as per the fly junky - i would go for the scalex version - as they are better out of the box and easier to drive especially for the kids. ninco cars tend to be a bit more 'taily' around corners - you may like that.

as for motors of separate cars vs set cars - i know with ninco not only with the golf set but they sell the NC1 motor with the golfs in the set, but if cars are bought separately they are NC2. i don't think scalex does that though.

Edited by slotoz

I haven't driven the new Scalex Porsche's so can't comment on them but the Proslot Porsche that I've had for years is still one of my favourite driving cars. Patto still has some for $43 http://members.optusnet.com.au/pattosplace/home.html

These cars are magic on a Ninco track.

Steve, where abouts are you? I have a mate in Sydney selling his Ninco track.

May the downforce be with you.

Thanks all for your advice.

Manic 35,

Thanks, I'll take a look at the Ninco JGTC Cars, but I am pretty set on a Porsche.

Slotoz,

I'm looking at the oval track set, but with the extension pack. This set looks like it will take all of the room I have available to use.

Sports Racer,

I'll be sure to take a look at the Proslot car as well. I am located in sunny Melbourne.

Thanks again,

Steve

Steve

one other thing to note is that i *think* the oval track comes with a ninco chicane that can double as a scalex classic to ninco adapter. useful if you want to combine ninco with scalex classic track. ninco is about 10mm wider than the scalex.

sportsracer

what ninco track does your sydney mate have??

Steve - I just sent you a PM 'cause these old reprobates should be looking about for themselves.. I saw a couple of sales items. ;)

As Matt said Fly is the business for me. GB Track is a fly offshoot. They make a GT1 or something car & it looks neat (haven't bought one 'cause I was afeared that I've spent enough money this month and the missus may castrate me..)

As Slot Oz says - get the biggest possible set you can. Buying track sucks to the point of me buying a further three sets once I got going with differing cars & more straights!

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

sportsracer

what ninco track does your sydney mate have??

My mate's going over to the dark side - Ninco digital. He's selling over 20 metres of track together with 3 lots of power grids, transformers, controllers and a pole position timer. About $1000 worth for $400.

I've tried to convince him to keep it but he says the big digital set will fit perfectly in his garage and he doesn't have space to make it bigger so doesn't need any of his old stuff.

May the downforce be with you.

8 cars on two lanes?? I reckon that'll be good! B)

Steve - watch the watch.. buy the big one.. buy the big one.. take as much space as you can - then take that one bit of space too much.. overspend your pocket money.. you are getting sleepy .. buy the big one.. :lol::D:lol:

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

The biggest tip everyone keeps missing for some reason is that Ninco cars work best on Ninco track. Practically noting can keep up with a (mag less) Ninco 934 on Ninco track. A lot of the fancies like Slot it can't handle the roughness that is Ninco track. The Ninco 934 is my favorite car out right, I run Ninco track, although I do have a full sized version that might cloud my impartiality (930).

32nd Reich - For all models 1/32 - Back On-line.

The biggest tip everyone keeps missing for some reason is that Ninco cars work best on Ninco track. Practically noting can keep up with a (mag less) Ninco 934 on Ninco track. A lot of the fancies like Slot it can't handle the roughness that is Ninco track. The Ninco 934 is my favorite car out right, I run Ninco track, although I do have a full sized version that might cloud my impartiality (930).

Just how many Porsches do you have? I seem to remember you talking about a 928 at some stage too.

I wish they would do 928's again. Imagine a 6 litre quad cam alloy Porsche V8 under a modern designed chassis.

Hi Stevo,

My recomendation would be Ninco cars on a Ninco track.

I find that they seem to run better out of the box.

SCX also run pretty well and are fairly cheap.

Scaleys I find the guide can stick a bit on tight corners.

I use Artin cars as knock around cars as they are cheap even across models and easily hotted up without too much time or cost.

Regards....Mark

Thanks again for all of your help with this.

I am off (hopefully) to buy a set this weekend so I'll update you on my purchasing prowess :ph34r: I like the look of the 911 models by Ninco, but I'm not sure if my allowance will cover everything in the one hit......

I saw some Artin cars and they seem to be well priced so I wouldn't mind so much if my son and his cousins gave them a hard time. Perhaps I'll wait before to see where the crash zones are before thinking about any scenery.

Cheers,

Steve

Just how many Porsches do you have? I seem to remember you talking about a 928 at some stage too.

I wish they would do 928's again. Imagine a 6 litre quad cam alloy Porsche V8 under a modern designed chassis.

Only three (well 2.5), a 930, the 928 and a 550 which is the 0.5 because it's a replica, not the $500,000+ real deal. Since early Porsches were just fancy bodied VW's it's quite a faithful replica for minimal money, and probably the cheapest way into a mint 50's classic.

Porsche are going to do another 928 for compete against Scaglietti etc. The four door 928 'Panamera' has been a known project for some time, a two door version is rather inevidable. The Panamera will be awd with Cayenne derived V8 and an optional hybrid system. Cayenne also goes hybrid for '08. 911 may get jacked up and turned into a small off road coupe.

I doubt the new 928 will look anywhere near as good as the original, and the chassis is still well up to today's standards, as anyone will tell you, it's fully adjustable suspension made it the best GT until the Ferrari 550 (ask Wheels magazine etc). All it really needs is a new interior (fantastic for the 70's, less so today), and more power. In top spec they only had 350hp which is just not enough today. If my engine ever breaks (they have been known to go for a million K's), I'll put a Toyota (yeah I know) turbo v12 in it :ph34r:

32nd Reich - For all models 1/32 - Back On-line.

hi Guys,

I scored these on Ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...:B:EOIBSA:AU:31

Im betting these are the fastest best detailed 911 GT3R's around (out of the box).

Rare Flying Lizard livery and easy to come by Team seabah but both with 20k motors!

I have 7 Scalextric 911 GT3R's and they all kick.

"Keep it in the slot"

3 stooges, 2 apologists and 1 deep endless mess.

www.scorpiuswireless.com