Sign in to follow this  
Sports Racer

2023 Touring Car Proxy rules

We may as well start the arguments early this time so here are the rules for the next Touring Car Proxy which will be open for entrants early next year.

The only change is motor choice is now limited. The list of eligible motors is open for discussion so will not be finalised until later this year. I like the idea of using only one type of motor (Slot.it orange endbell or Slot.it long can) but it depends on availability especially when we have entrants from all around the world.

Rule Number One:

Any modification not specifically detailed below needs to be discussed. Bribes of cash, cake or chocolate are encouraged.

1. Body

1.1: Any Injection moulded or resin bodied car from the approved list that is marketed as a 1/32 scale Ready-to-Run (RTR) slot car. No vacuum formed or blow moulded bodies.

Max width 63mm.

Cars must be from 1990 or later, no cars from the 80's or earlier.

Approved List, let me know if I've left a car out.

Any BTCC car

Any pre 2021 DTM car

Alfa 156 GTA

Alfa 155

Audi A4 DTM

Audi A5 DTM

Audi TT DTM

BMW 1, 3 or 4 Series

Fiat Punto

Ford Focus

Ford Falcon

Holden Commodore

Honda Accord

Honda Civic Type-R

Hyundai Accent

Mercedes C-class DTM

Mercedes CLK DTM

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution

Opel Astra

Opel Vectra

Opel V8 DTM Coupe

Opel Calibra

Peugeot 406 Coupe (not Silhouette)

Renault Clio

Renault Megane

SEAT Leon

Subaru Imprezza WRX

Volvo S60R

VW Passat

1.2: Chassis - No restrictions.

Body screws should be taped or covered in bluetak to prevent loss. External body parts - mirrors, wipers, wings - though desirable are not required.

1.3: Guide may not project beyond the body as viewed from directly above. Tracks will all be routed wood with 8 mm deep slots.

1.4: Cars must have sufficient ground clearance to permit free running without contacting the track. Cars which drag on the track may be excluded at the track owners’ discretion.

1.5: Clear window material must be used where the real car has clear material.

1.6: Racing numbers must be visible in three places on body. Racing numbers must match. Bodies may be painted in fantasy or realistic liveries. Non-decorated cars (for example plain white kits) are not allowed. Duplicate numbers are allowed but if everyone enters the red #7 Slot.it Alfa 155 I’m going to be reaching for the spray can.

1.7: Headlights and taillights are required but do not have to illuminate.

1.8: Interior must include, at minimum, dashboard top, driver, steering wheel and shelf under the rear window. If vacuum formed, must be of reasonable detail and proportion. Champion style and paper drivers are not permitted.

1.9: No weight limit.

1.10: Bodies may be lightened provided there are no external changes and wheel arch openings remain standard.

2. Wheels and Tires

2.1: Tires may not project beyond the body when the car is at rest on a level track, as viewed from directly above.

2.2: Reasonable scale appearing inserts are required in all wheels unless the wheels have scale appearance and detail. Blank disc wheels must be covered with inserts.

2.3: Wheels must look like they were used on the 1:1 car. No F1 rims or 12 mm (dia) wheels unless the original car raced with small wheels.

2.4: Front tire diameter must be within 2mm of rear tire diameter.

2.5: Minimum front tire width is 8mm. Front tires may be profiled so that a narrower area contacts the track but must otherwise be full width.

2.6: Tires must be urethane or rubber. Silicon and foam tires are forbidden. Tires must appear to be black. Clear finish may be applied to front tire tread area. No chemical treatment (such as oil soaking) is permitted.

If anyone has trouble getting a suitable pair of rear tyres I can provide, fit, glue and true for a small fee.

3. Motors

Only motors from the below list of manufacturers are allowed: (This list is open to debate and will not be finalised until later this year. Preference is for a single make but for now lets discuss what options people want)

Carrera

Ninco

NSR

Predator

Revo Slot

Scaleauto

Scalextric

Sideways

SCX

Slot.it

Thunderslot

3.1: FC-130 slot car motor must produce less than 23.5K rpm at 12 Volts. FK-180 are limited to 21.5K rpm. No rewinds or "mod motors" allowed.

3.2: Magnetic down force from motor may not exceed 30 grams as checked with a Magnet Marshal, exclusive of car weight. None of the motor brands listed above should infringe this limit.

3.3: Motor can be glued/taped/screwed in place. Pods can be taped or glued to restrict movement.

4. Modifications

4.1: Any part of the car may be replaced by any manufacturer’s parts. All wheel drive may be used only if the actual car used it.

4.2: Weight/ballast can be added.

4.3: Spring and magnetic suspension packages are allowed.

4.4: No traction magnets allowed.

4.5: Bushings and motor can be glued into place.

5. Vehicle Identification

5.1: Entrant’s name and body screw adjustment information should be affixed to the underside of the chassis in a readable manner.

6. Penalties

6.1: non-compliant mechanical and car set up issues including wheels/tyres at scrutineering - 5 points

6.2: repair of mechanical failure deemed not to be caused primarily by accident damage - 5 points. A grub screw coming loose is not a mechanical failure and won't be penalised.

6.3: car not run due to hosts discretion because of clearance issues - no points will be awarded for that round. Car owner has the option to replace tyres or park the car.

6.4: For all other non-specified events requiring vehicle work the penalty, if any, will be based on a principle of reasonable fairness to all entrants at sole discretion and decision of the organizers

Edited by Sports Racer
  • Like 1

May the downforce be with you.

Thanks Sports Racer.

There is a new Cahooza RTR 21.5 or 22000rpm motor that has just come out. Hobbies Plus, Palmerston North, NZ stock. Have not tried but intend to get one. Personally I like the one motor option with the Slot-it Orange although even these can vary. I would have thought they were widely available as it is also the standard Group C motor.

Re the Cahooza option I believe this may their first foray into providing a RTR motor. They are a top metal car engine provider.

Regards Charles Le Breton

The slot it 23k s can and the long can are easily available in most countries engaged in slot car racing , so i suggest either a executive decision by god ( Paul ) or a vote on it , this way a equal playing field.

Query about hanging weight ( lead ) under the car i was not aware it was allowed as most proxies don't so we are allowed to do this ? , so we can run rubber tyres also something i did not pick on which makes it easier for us up North as we have many types easily available .

Have you decided on number of entrants as people will start building cars and no use doing that if they have no chance of qualifying if entrant numbers reduced to what you said 18 , it will be ok for the usual mob at the top but please think of those that just want to take part and have a bit of fun, if possible same number as this year would not like to see anyone miss out who have supported this proxy.

yes for the slot it orange belt... we all have slot it cars with them and it will make the racing closer for you guys! Also, there are plenty of 3d printed chassis for sloti it pod, which will make the tuning easier even for beginner (or hard head like me who always pick the wrong car:) )

19 hours ago, Peter Gunn said:

Have you decided on number of entrants as people will start building cars and no use doing that if they have no chance of qualifying if entrant numbers reduced to what you said 18 , it will be ok for the usual mob at the top but please think of those that just want to take part and have a bit of fun, if possible same number as this year would not like to see anyone miss out who have supported this proxy.

Are you already being a PITA ?

18 entrants only.

I'm toying with the idea of having anyone who doesn't make the cutoff race in a separate "Best of the Other Machines" proxy where I will allow changes made (if requested) to the cars during the running of the BotOM proxy. This will be a series where we can tinker with the cars to make them better if the owners want us to.

Could call it the Assorted Racers Second Entrants proxy.

Edited by Sports Racer

So basically instead of running one proxy series you will be running another one alongside for as you state the best of the rest , so the original statement of wanting to reduce the numbers has now been changed  as surely you will be in the same position of having in your terms to many to manage , and i'm not being a pain in the arse just want clarification of what you actually want to do .

Suppose you have 20 or 23 entrants you will still run a seperate proxy for 3. 4 or 5 people does not make sense , still think the field as it stands is the way to go, but you take no notice of my input which is always measured and thought out with the best interest of ALL the entrants to enjoy the rivalrys in the groups. that form behind the dead on favourites, adds to the fun.

This does seem unfair to those that would not make the cut anyway we know who they are and i feel they should be allowed to race in the main series , but as always you make the rules as it,s your proxy.

Thanks for thinking of me Sports Racer. I suppose that is better than being sent home. 

I am off to the NZSCA 1/24th Metal Car Nationals tomorrow morning so I will start thinking slow particularly when I am racing my Wing Car.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

2nd proxy is just a thought at the moment and won't be for the full 10 rounds. Just a small one for the slower cars.

Might change my mind in the next 6 months.

Hi Paul 

Any chance the Plafit Pointer 21.5 k motor could be added to the motor list.

I've used these motors for years & find them very consistent & reliable, the best part they are only $10, also they are sealed & can't be opened & tampered with which stops people trying to tweak a bit more speed.

They are a little bit heavier than the S can motors but nothing outrageous, but you guys like a lot of weight at the backend so might save you some lead ballast.:D

Cheers Jimmy:D

To finsh first,first you gotta finish

2 hours ago, Sports Racer said:

2nd proxy is just a thought at the moment and won't be for the full 10 rounds. Just a small one for the slower cars.

Might change my mind in the next 6 months.

Perhaps run a small series sufficient to pinpoint how each car could be made better? Then it gives some purpose to your efforts. 

Never heard of that motor Jimmy is it native to Aus and NZ , do you think it would compete with a 23k rated motor, the scaleauto one Paul mentions on power tests here pulls nearly a 1,000 rpm more than stated , the Thunderslot is a 21.5k motor i used this in the 997 proxy and it was very smooth but not up to the straight line speed of the NSR 21.5 k which is actually a 21.9 and in tests is within 100k or so of the stated range, quick motor that one .

With the Predator 22.5k roughly the same k as the white bell end 23k slot it what i do like about that motor is the opening to the com and if you use one of those power juices on the com does make for a nice smooth can run in for 15 minutes, availability to all would be the problem with this motor we import them from the USA and the postage and tax is a killer not to bad if cost spread by a few people, but still way above the cost of a slot it 23k

As regards most of the others Scaley, Carrera, Scx forget about them unless you actually want to be in Paul,s group specially for the slower cars , the magnets alone let those motors down compared to the Slot it 23k

HI Keith

The Plafit Pointer is a Japanese 13D type motor similar to the SRP 13D motors that also come in a variety of rev ranges & Pendles stock them.

I've been using them in this proxy & others for the last couple of years & find them very reliable.I just sent off my Slot it Group C LANCIA entry to Canada for the Worlds with a Pointer as the power supply.

Last years entry was my MOMO Porsche with a Pointer  which was a midfielder but I think my main trouble was gearing & trying to get the tyres to grip.I used the Porsche as my test mule with revised gearing & after many hours my of testing with a Preditor motor in the LANCIA I gave up & put a new Pointer in & picked up .2 of a second & was whisper quiet.

I don't think it will be much better in that kind of company but at least it looks to be better than last years car, I hope.

Both cars are beautifull to drive with the MOMO using a Plafit chassis & the LANCIA using my new Carbon suspension chassis the same as my Megane in this proxy.

You can get them online at ACE Hobbies in Brisbane for $10 AU.

Cheers Jimmy:D  

• Like 1

To finsh first,first you gotta finish

'Any DTM car' needs changing to 'Any pre-2021 DTM car' as DTM is now a GT3 only series.

Life is like a box of Slot cars...B)