2021 Touring Car Proxy - final analysis

Sports Racer

So, the Touring Car Proxy finally comes to an end after nearly a year (first round was October 2021).

What have we learned?

1) The Proxy organiser is always right.

2) The Canberra cars are good but not invincible as shown by Lancelot taking 2 rounds.

3) DTM cars are the way to go if you want to be at the pointy end of the results.

4) Small cars don't work well.

5) PITA award would have to go to Keith.

6) Everything else - insert comments below.

Here's the review of the top 5 cars. The noise in the background is my cats fighting or the birds outside screaming to be fed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy20cVu-R-Y

Hope you get some tips on how to build a car to suit our tracks. It would be interesting to know if the way we setup cars also works on your local tracks.

I'll get everyone's cars in the post this week and let you know what you owe me for postage (for those that haven't prepaid).

Cheers

Paul

Edited by Sports Racer

May the downforce be with you.

Hi Sports Racer.

Thanks for the analysis of the 5 top cars. Interesting 3 x in-line and 2 top cars both SW.  No AW's. Most not particularly heavy and some interesting placement of weight. Disappointed that quite a few of the cars did not have wheel inserts as I personally see this as a real RTR thing.

Good summary to help with development of 2022-3 car. Hopefully next proxy will not take quite as long.

Excellent comparison for my in-construction Mercedes DTM car. Currently weighs 87.78gms with original body and interior but with older 3D chassis, in-line layout with Slot-it pod and, orange motor, ali wheels and rubber tyres. Will be interesting to see how this ends up.

Appreciate your effort Sports Racer. I no longer believe you build tanks. I would have thought 85-90gms was a quite acceptable car for what is quite a large car. I think my completed Bathurst 1000 proxy car weighs right in the middle of this range.

Regards Charles Le Breton (charlesx)

Go along with the length of time thought it was longer than that , seemed years :rolleyes:, now what have we learned ,

1, the top 2 cars are roughly the same as the other years, and finish at the top. .

2. The proxy organiser is not always right.

3. In any proxy home track advantage is a good thing to have.

4. Agree small cars don't go well but could be better with differant set up.

5. And my final comment being Paul's particular PITA friend :ph34r:, personally this series started of with a bad taste in my mouth as regards the cars we put out , quite happy to take the original penalty, but not after that , if we are going to have differant motors we ALL will need to buy mag masters , just look at the beginning of the series, so i will push for a series motor, but being me Paul will take no notice.

Overall my pick of the field is Lance nearly there but not quite , next series he might just upset Paul and then become his PITA friend :D, not sure about next year have to see what the rules are going to be first, so Paul the ball is now in your court for 2023 , just please get things right before we start cheers, and i suppose i had better say well done for winning chuckle in my mind never in doubt.

• Upvote 1

Hi Paul

A big thankyou to you & your helpers for another well run proxy in very difficult times.

Loved all the vids & feed back to help me understand what was going on with all the cars on the many different circuits.

Looking forward to seeing my car & trying to work out why it dropped off in the last half of this Proxy as it did last year,probably ran out of tyres again.:blink:

On returning my car just throw it in STICKS box & he will drop it off to me next time he comes down the mountain to get cheap diesel for his truck.:D

Cheers Jimmy see you next year. 

To finsh first,first you gotta finish

Hi Paul - thanks for the Vid - interesting!

Must admit, I didn't read the rules closely enough to realise you could put lead under the chassis, as you had done. Not something that's allowed in most proxies, but there's nothing in your rules to say you couldn't ( I had to go back to the beginning of last year to re-read them again to see the loop hole I had missed... )  

I'll definitely have to re-visit the > 65% rear weight bias that I seeing you and Andrew are employing. You don't see it successfully in any other proxy around the world - suspect it's a serious case of horses for courses...

Expand to a greater variety of courses ( i.e. away from the Canberra scene ) - and see if the theory still holds up!

Just confirm, but the postage from Braidwood up to Sydney should be about $10-

Edited by bov

Cheers,

Tony.

There's only two questions:

1. What direction do you go

2. What's the Lap Record?

I'd suggest that the slot.IT mx16 s-can should be considered for the homologated motor for 2023.

Earlier  ones (maroon end bell) were wretched with wildly differing performance and varistor rings that often broke.

The newer ones (with the white endbell and Motor spec being etched on the can) are identifiable and seem much more even and reliable performers. 

A flat or long can equivalent to the mx16 is hard to find. (Equivalent performance)

Flat cans  fit slot.it cars best , disadvantaging non slot.it cars so isn't really a goer.

As I found d to my cost, scaleauto motors have varying mag effect so aren't a reliable choice for  compliance.

NSR motors canbe identified by the closed end bearing and the spec etched on the can under the label., so that might be a possibility.

Alan

Thanks for persevering with this year's series!

Really enjoyed the videos of each round, you can't beat seeing how your car performs, but hearing your comments was always a bonus. 

I enjoy the packaging challenges of a small car, but it's clear you need a bigger car to handle these motors on these circuits. 

Will be going 'big' next year, but won't get too excited yet as my one experience of pre-qualifying did not end well... 

• 2 weeks later...

Will get all the following UK cars in the post this week.

BARacer, Dixie, JohnnieE, Nonfractual.

Peter Gunn's will be shipped by sea, via both Poles, on a canoe, with a leaky hull.

I'll use the original boxes which will have the return addresses.

PG's will have a Columbian sticker that says "This container has been hermetically sealed to keep all drugs fresh for use".

• Like 1

May the downforce be with you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul,

Given that it's been 7 weeks since the final round results were posted - how are things progressing in terms of returning the cars?

Once I have the IPS round done and dusted, I can re-evaluate the Merc for future attempts...

Cheers,

Tony.

• 2 weeks later...

No Updates ?

Oh well - the overseas proxies are moving along at least...

For example, with the IPS ( which our intrepid proxy organiser first er, organised... ) I received the cars from the Uk on Oct 7th. On my own Q'd, photographed and ran the event by the 16th. Back in the post on the 19th - and delivered to Virginia USA today...

Hope there's nothing too unfortunate happening down Paul's way.....

Cheers,

Tony.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the update - our sympathies for your family's loss. Been through it too many times myself - all things will pass.

Good to hear things are getting back to normal.

Best wishes.

Cheers,

Tony.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Pleased to say my #2 Merc arrived home today ! Thanks Paul, I really appreciate your little handwritten note in the packaging...

It's in great shape - but must admit I had to examine it, and look at my notes awhile to remind myself what I had sent in....:) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Cheers,

Tony.