Who wants to give up their top secret tyre treatment formula?

Icarve37

1 hour ago, mtpanorama said:

Be careful, statements like that can lead to a jail cell these days.  You never know who is watching and they don't have a sense of humour.

Stumps m boy, stumps. Standard farmer brew for clearing stumps :D

also rather popular up in your Opal mining regions. I shoveled many container loads of Amm Nitrate prills in through Brisbane in years gone by 

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

4 hours ago, Sports Racer said:

I tried the NSR treatment on a pair of NSR Supergrips. Turned them so soft they wouldn't stay on the rims.

Preferred weapon of choice are Yellowdogs. No treatment.

Then you did it all wrong.

I once was the MJK / PGT guy....then Hanna let me drive one of his NSR Juiced up cars......Grip to dream of and easy to drive fast...let alone minimal offs.

Would never go back, unless rules prohibit.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2022 at 9:09 PM, dangermouse said:

Ok good to know I have been lucky so far I make Shore 40 using Reflex or Vytaflex and I haven't had a pair of them go to goo and I have been making them for quite a few years now. I have had it happen to a couple of MJK tyres but generally they are pretty long lasting as well

PGTs.

Why wouldnt u get the softer ones. ?

https://freeimage.host/i/rVIQLX

Edited by RMinAdelaide

For guys using any urethanes.

one NZ club swore never to treat their urethanes - but “the fast guys” always made sure their urethanes were “clean” by spinning them over a flat sponge loaded with a locally made citrus cleaner.

They were very reluctant to accept the truth when I explained to them that the active ingredient in the “cleaner” was d’limonene - an extract from orange skins, known the the trade as a “vegetable turpene”, strong enough to take the gloss surface off a bench top.

Even after I dissolved some MJK immersed in same said cleaner, made by our company, and sold in bulk to smaller mix and stir outfits for them to repack and label,  over a 24 hour period, and photographed the process, they were slow to adopt the sad reality that they were juicing their tyres.

But a decent citrus cleaner with d’limonene or “orange oil” as the primary active, will soften urethanes and increase grip.

It will shorten  their life.

• Like 1

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Hi all.

My answer to all this talk of goo etc is why not race magnet or go to metal cars which use a glued track. Lead or goo is only a magnet substitute.

By all means get them to grip or drive nicely usually as initial preparation only. Even Scaly tyres can give reasonable grip with a bit of preparation and a spin before racing. The tyres on the Z4 BMW however are especially difficult but not impossible.

This is certainly all Slot-it N22's or F22's need apart from sticky tape to clean off  dust. Particularly important if run with urethanes.

NSR tyres do seem to need the odd rub with oil if left sitting for a while but usually the same treatment as Slot-it is fine.

Urethanes need nothing except gluing and truing. I have done a lot of proxies where it is important for tyres to last as there are often penalties for replacements.

Most important though is for everybody to do the same.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

12 hours ago, charlesx said:

My answer to all this talk of goo etc is why not race magnet or go to metal cars which use a glued track. Lead or goo is only a magnet substitute.

Because that's still a completely different drive. Increasing gravity based mechanical grip is not the same as faking it with magnets or actual glue.

Why not just go race RC cars? :P

On 8/23/2022 at 7:35 PM, Sports Racer said:

I tried the NSR treatment on a pair of NSR Supergrips. Turned them so soft they wouldn't stay on the rims.

That's why you're supposed to glue the tires to the rim. Also, applying too much is bad.

17 hours ago, charlesx said:

Hi all.

By all means get them to grip or drive nicely usually as initial preparation only. Even Scaly tyres can give reasonable grip with a bit of preparation and a spin before racing. The tyres on the Z4 BMW however are especially difficult but not impossible.

This is certainly all Slot-it N22's or F22's need apart from sticky tape to clean off  dust. Particularly important if run with urethanes.

NSR tyres do seem to need the odd rub with oil if left sitting for a while but usually the same treatment as Slot-it is fine.

Urethanes need nothing except gluing and truing. I have done a lot of proxies where it is important for tyres to last as there are often penalties for replacements.

Most important though is for everybody to do the same.

But Charles, Charles  … no one has been talking about “goo”

Then having made the outlandish first statement, you go on to detail how YOU treat tyres yourself with NSR tyre oil.
And I am quite certain that you must use lead or tungsten weight yourself, as you have raced at Tony’s event, and every car there has to be of a minimum weight…..which requires pulling NSR classics up from about 70 grams to 80 grams ?  from memory.

Treatment improves grip of tyres where required for faster cornering, where we race the same car on a variety of paint surfaces, weight enables a better car balance, given that plastic chassis are very light, with a greater body weight above. Good car setup is part of the enjoyment of racing.

I am sure that all the cars you send off to proxy series around the world have lead….

So I am staggered you would have written that first sentence at all.

We WILL forgive you though … upon receipt of First class air tickets for 2, to Heathrow, to coincide with the next slot festival….. and a full set of “Power and Glory” Scalextric cars to each of mr flippant and myself :ph34r::lol:

So lots of talk but any answers to the original question....?

“not many, if any”

Using empirical testing I discovered urethane tires grip better when my track was treated with tire bite/goo/glue.

The tires described as “rubber “ didn’t mind it either.

These days I don’t bother and just maintain a clean track (enamel gloss) and clean tires.

Tire treatments you might try include CRC 226, 3 in 1 oil, naphtha/fuelite, saliva,  suntan lotion ... and thinned tire-bite with fuelite.

One of the advantages of a gloss track is (mostly) the ability to chemically clean the surface...a matte or textured surface not so easy.

Enjoy your track and your journey into the land of magic tire sauce.

• Upvote 1

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

32 minutes ago, munter said:

So lots of talk but any answers to the original question....?

“not many, if any”

Using empirical testing I discovered urethane tires grip better when my track was treated with tire bite/goo/glue.

The tires described as “rubber “ didn’t mind it either.

These days I don’t bother and just maintain a clean track (enamel gloss) and clean tires.

Tire treatments you might try include CRC 226, 3 in 1 oil, naphtha/fuelite, saliva,  suntan lotion ... and thinned tire-bite with fuelite.

One of the advantages of a gloss track is (mostly) the ability to chemically clean the surface...a matte or textured surface not so easy.

Enjoy your track and your journey into the land of magic tire sauce.

Yea funny eh I was just thinking about that exact thing and how far some comments are away from the question

Didn't really ask for someone's thesis on good over evil in the use of tyre treatments

Don't want to know about goo goop or glue - thats whats used on the track on metal chassis cars I believe - whole different kettle of boiled fish that

Didn't really ask if not using treatment would make me more manly -couldn't be any more manly anyway ;)

Wasn;t really asking about urethanes and if you want to soak them in a tub of solvent overnight and they fall apart you should continue that testing and put your whole cars in the solvent and see how long it takes them to fall apart

and BTW I have always used and only use citrus based cleaner on urethanes I put it on a rag and clean the contct patch of the tyre I did it after I won a race with one of my pioneer mustangs last night . The tyres I put on that car I bought from Paul gage and fitted in 2012 still perfect btw

So thanks for the early comment about MB slot treatment being good

And thank you Munter for suggesting: CRC 226, 3 in 1 oil, naphtha/fuelite, saliva,  suntan lotion ... and thinned tire-bite with fuelite.

Seems the CRC226 is a popular choice particularly with some of the English guys

I personally have tried 3 in 1 oil with mixed results and I'm still always going to use citrus cleaner on my urethanes -tho thats to clean them its not intended as a treatment and I don't believe it affects them in the way a treatment affects rubber tyres in the long run. Thats where we differ I guess Mark

so I wonder if anyone else has an alternative to NSR tyre treatment oil price in NZ $12 for a little bottle probably about 20mls thats $600 per litre by the way and I won't even spend that on the best Rum or Whiskey so I'm not going to pay that to wipe on my tyres so keen to hear if there's a next best product still thanks!! :)

• Like 1

luckysm.png

On 8/24/2022 at 5:21 PM, RMinAdelaide said:

PGTs.

Why wouldnt u get the softer ones. ?

https://freeimage.host/i/rVIQLX

I have used Paul's XPGs on 1/32 cars and 1/24s. I am happy with the Shore 40 my cars are fast enough for my liking at the club I race with. I tried making Shore 30 tyres but didn't find them to be that much better than the 40s and they pretty much needed glueing on for every car. I don't usually glue the tyres on my 1/32 cars. Perhaps we are all Captain Slow at our club - but we enjoy our racing. Ninco NC1s feature in a lot of our classes and we have an 18k motor limit (well we allow Scalextric motors which are only notionally 18k) in most of our other classes. We also run the Revoslot and BRM Mini Saloons with stock rubber or urethane tyres and Carrera 1/24 on urethane. Tend to find with them the firmer tyres are better than the XPGs.

• Like 1

Sorry Icarve37 if I got a little off track. 

Apologies to Flippant or whoever if I offended anybody but that was certainly not my intention. Jus expressing my view.

As I said treatment is fine but everybody needs to and be allowed to use. Some methods or products may be better than others but at least everybody has the same opportunity.

I follow the rules for any event very strictly and always have. If lead is allowed and I see an advantage I will use. If it is required again I will comply but only because I have to. If you do not like you do not have to enter.

Re proxy cars most use urethan tyres. With recent Bathurst Proxy event they were even supplied and fitted by organiser.

All I can say is please enjoy your racing. Noting can be better than a group of closely matched cars dicing. Some people will always be better drivers or better tuners but that is life. Our recent NSR Fiat Abarth Teams Racing event was raced absolutely standard except same person was asked to set-up all the cars as evenly as possible (original tyres glued and trued and no weight or other changes. This has been an out-standing success. The cars are so even which is the way it should be (in my opinion) but everybody is welcome to their own view.

Regards Char;les Le Breton racing since 1960 (charlesx) and all the best in Slotting or whatever you chose to race.

Edited by charlesx
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, charlesx said:

Sorry Icarve37 if I got a little off track but  you did ask what other people use. In my case as little as possible. Are different views no longer allowed on AUSLOT. I hope not. Take whatever you want out of everybody's comments and above all enjoy your racing.

Apologies to Flippant or whoever if I offended anybody but that was certainly not my intention. Jus expressing my view which why we have this great forum.

Some people clearly did not read my post very well or misunderstood or just disagree with my stance . That is their choice but please do not curtail mine. I categorise anything you put on tyres as Goo including 3 in 1, CR C2.66, WD40 or whatever. except probably water to assist truing. I admit to trying some of these but always spin up wheels with water and a little detergent afterwards and would only repeat if original action was unsuccessful. Hate to think how many times I have tried to improve my Scale BMW Z4 tyres. Other people tend to just throw away.

Never referred to NSR tyre oil which I still have a full bottle of after owning for many years. Admit I did try once or twice because some racers seemed to use all the time (even between races) but I did not think it was any better than many other treatments.

If AUSLOT members read my post correctly;  I was pushing no or minimal treatment. Certainly not for urethanes. I remember when one person started using rubber tyres in Napier and praised them over silicones which were almost universal in NZ at time. We found out later that superior performance was largely due to treatment which was not allowed at time. Was admitted much later by one of the earlier organisers but by then silicones tyres had been banned..

As I said treatment is fine but everybody needs to and be allowed to use. Some methods or products may be better than others but at least everybody has the same opportunity.

For the record I follow the rules for any event very strictly and always have. If lead is allowed and I see an advantage I will use. If it is required again I will comply but only because I have to. There are some classes however where lead in particular is not required as the cars are great out of the box.. Slot-it Group C, Thuinderslot and NSR F1 GP are examples.

Re proxy cars most use urethan tyres. With recent Bathurst Proxy event they were even supplied and fitted by organiser.

All I can say is please enjoy your racing. Noting can be better than a group of closely matched cars dicing. Some people will always be better drivers or better tuners but that is life. Our recent NSR Fiat Abarth Teams Racing event was raced absolutely standard except same person was asked to set-up all the cars as evenly as possible (original tyres glued and trued and no weight or other changes. This has been an out-standing success. The cars are so even which is the way it should be (in my opinion) but everybody is welcome to their own view.

Regards Char;les Le Breton racing since 1960 (charlesx) and all the best in Slotting or whatever you chose to race.

Hi Charlesx just to be clear I enjoy the banter and most of what I say is tongue in cheek or meant to be funny. As you said, I also come to the forum to hear other peoples ideas but hopefully will get some secret formulas too ;) . And Mark not doubting your knowledge of chemicals just meaning that there is a difference between wiping adap of product on a tyre to soaking in a bucket of it for 24 hours but all input is great

Thanks all. and as we all know this is the true best way to clean tyres:

image.png

Edited by Icarve37

luckysm.png

Thanks Icarve37. Does your name suggest you like lamb. Personally I am into sheep but the odd bit of corned beef, steak or even pork is always welcome.

Keep the questions flowing. On tyres I wonder if some come out dosed already or is it just the Shore rating used.

Have you done any proxy racin? It is great fun particularly when you are away from the action.

Regards Charles Le Breton (charlesx)

Icarve - was just highlighting that citrus cleaners are a treatment for urethanes - which does improve grip significantly- as they are a fairly low grip tyre compared to soft “rubbers” on glass tracks. My extreme dissolving example at the time was just to demonstrate to them that it WAS a treatment, not merely a “cleaner” as they claimed at the time. I think Hoogs was the first to actually twig to that.  
Hugh and Malcom had both noticed MJK tyre life seeming to shorten.

As for soft rubbers - specifically NSR ultra and supergrip, Slot.it N and F series, Sideways Hi-grip and Prospeed, 
They all respond to similar treatments. NSR oil does cost more than most single malts, ……but you need a lot less to get satisfaction :lol:
Locally we have been using various of all the aerosol based oil type things Munter mentioned, often 50/50 on a skid pad with NZR oil or sewing machine oil or 3 In 1 (anything with low viscosity really)
But personally, I have gone back to just using the NSR oil on a “rolling road” for at least a couple of hours after the 2nd (or third ) true as needed., as the initial treatment; then a quick spin on the rolling road or a skid pad on Raceday.

Rolling road and skid pad

C4eiUtE.jpg

If you go to Nelson for any of Tonz events, you’ll have seen it all anyway. 
In the final shakedown, we all race on different surfaces, with slightly varying treatment practices.
I just go with the flow and these days, try and keep up :ph34r:

• Like 1

I have heard of Koala Tyre treatment - I gather from the title that it is based on Eucalyptus oil.

I tried some E-Oil and didn't notice any real difference in grip. I also tried mixing it with some other spirits.

Charles - you may want to review/edit your post you are reinforcing a stereotype that us Aussies have of you chaps across the ditch. LOL

"Thanks Icarve37. Does your name suggest you like lamb. Personally I am into sheep but the odd bit of corned beef, steak or even pork is always welcome."

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that Dangermouse. Not sure if it is my sense of humour or my opinion on tyre treatment but if it will make you happier I will edit post. Anything for a bit of peace and quiet and better Aus/NZ relations.

As you are probably aware I race quite a bit in Aussie (currently in Bathurst 1000 Proxy)  so the last thing I want to do is up-set my Aussie cousins. There are not too many Kiwis that do that.

No problem Dangermouse. I like a bit of a joke as life can get too serious sometimes. Gazza and I  shared a few sheep jokes a while back during OZ Rally and it has become a bit of a habit.

I have deleted as much as I could from my posts but embedded bits I am unable to touch.

All the best and I hope you have dodged Covid, Flu, fires and floods. We seem to be getting our share in NZ too.

Munter - you’ve almost certainly met Malcolm, who has been based in BOP the past few years. He has been to HB a number of times.  I doubt you’ve met Hugh. He hasn’t raced for a few years, or outside Christchurch to my knowledge. But they were the go-to guys driving the Sockburn RTR club when I was introduced in 2006. Malcolm was club  founder from memory, Hugh hosted me on a couple of trips, and had a 4 lane Artin at home we also raced on sometimes