Icarve37

Who wants to give up their top secret tyre treatment formula?

Who wants to give up their top secret tyre treatment formula?

Its like a black art and everybody has their own idea but I don't have a clue? Is NSR tyre treatment really extracted from the spleen of still-born babies????

Slot it Tyres | SlotForum

luckysm.png

2 minutes ago, MrFlippant said:

Kind of depends on the tires, eh?

Ok fair enough, so lets say you have some scaley tyres I might try truing the hubs and giving them a bit of a sand and then I'd try sme good ol 3 in one oil to see if that helped then I'd trash them and put on some Paul Gage Urethanes which dont take any treating. But mostly I like to run with quality rubber tyres say n22  slotit's nsr ultragrips or sideways soft and obviously I true glue sand but I hear stories of people sanding their tyres for days and conditioning them with their special formula every 3 hours for 6 days befor a race like feeding a baby. Its just -I dont know what works well on rubber tyres and I'd rather have a chat with a bunch of like minded people and try to figure out some stuff that works rather than paying $12 here in NZ for about 20ml of nsr conditioner .

So I guess I'm asking about rubber tyres eh

luckysm.png

1 hour ago, RMinAdelaide said:

I recon the MB slot stuff is best as well as their machine.

Cool thanks for that - where do you buy that from?

luckysm.png

I use MJK or Ortmann tyres, glue, true, race, no treatment needed.

• Like 1

The people in charge don't know what they are doing, but they have no idea that they have no idea what they are doing.

Fear is their weapon.  The truth is ours.

Hey thanks for that -I agree urethanes don't need treatments like rubber in fact a true wheel and a fresh shiny MJK has great grip and probably works better on less glossy tracks too. I don't think they can compete with soft rubber tyres on faster cars though.

I have also realised that this question has probably been asked a million times in various different groups but I appreciate any feedback

luckysm.png

I use only MJK tyres just true no glue .I think if every body uses the same tyre with no treatment its more of an even race.ONLY MY OPINION

Oldman

• Like 2

I am well known for my view on tyre treatment or S------t as i prefer to call it , good idea to properly set up your tyres , urethane clean with a bit of fairy or any other washing up liq brings them up a treat , rubber i tend to use a adhesive tape to keep them clean

If you have to use goop, s#!t or what ever you call it , guess your not a very good racer!!!!!!!!, having to rely on crap to enharnce performance , real men  don't use magnets and don't use goop , they just race naked Happy I Love You GIF by Life of a Potato chuckle.

Many tracks allow tyres to be treated.

we are of course talking about Rubber tyres.

3in one oil usually works as well as anything else, WD40 will,also work.

The petroleum based products actually soften the rubber,,but it should be applied and worked in to the tyres.

Plenty of guides on Forums and YouTube if you look around.

• Like 1

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

ICYMI, Urethane tires can be treated with isopropyl alcohol. Denatured alcohol might also work, but I haven't tried it. The effect is much the same as naphtha on NSR or slot.it N18/22 tires. Similarly, if you do it too much, the effect is detrimental. Everything in moderation. :)

But you also did not specify the track surface, which also makes a huge difference.

What I do is often dictated by what is allowed by the club. But yeah, oil, lighter fluid, IPA, tape, lotion... all of these things have their place somewhere if you want to get the most possible traction. That said, depending on the car and track, the most is not always the best.

Goop, as you call it, is usually used for CRAZY fast cars like wing cars and such. They literally don't have any traction without it, and certainly not enough for the crazy speeds they run at.

I once bought a scalextric digital lot of track and cars from a guy... turned out he was using extra magnets, silicone tires, AND track glue/goop. He clearly believed that slot cars should never deslot. The track had no runoff, and had clear plexy walls around every turn. It's no wonder he bored of it and sold it off.

On 8/20/2022 at 11:34 AM, RMinAdelaide said:

Hi,

My PGTs are falling apart, even without treatment.

Anyone else. ?

The PGT XPG soft tyres are prone to turning red and falling apart I don't know if it was a bad batch or exposure to light in certain situation but I have had a number of cars go red and fall apart whereas other cars are fine.

2 hours ago, kalbfellp said:

Dave All Eurethanes will turn red and fall apart over time. The softer the shorter life.

Ok good to know I have been lucky so far I make Shore 40 using Reflex or Vytaflex and I haven't had a pair of them go to goo and I have been making them for quite a few years now. I have had it happen to a couple of MJK tyres but generally they are pretty long lasting as well

Hi all.

A bit late with comment but I have never used anything on urethane tyres. Just glue and true with water with a little detergent to promote slip. Ensure they do not overheat when truing.

Do not recall any MJK tyres going red and breaking down but PG will certainly do that if they sit around. My experience however is that can take years unless they have had long shelf life. Note metal car types store tyres in fridge. Not sure if this works with urethanes.

Re rubber most work fine just glued and trued but once one person treats everybody usually needs to follow.  Locally we were forced allow treatment (as some were doing it anyway) but it should be a oncer except for a light sand if surface gets damaged. In NZ most of our tracks are very smooth so a set of tyres can last for a long time (sometimes years). Once again however if you keep treating life will tend to be much shorter.

My recommendation do not treat urethane  and only treat rubber initially if allowed. 

Regards Chas Le Breton

I tried the NSR treatment on a pair of NSR Supergrips. Turned them so soft they wouldn't stay on the rims.

Preferred weapon of choice are Yellowdogs. No treatment.

May the downforce be with you.

Equal parts ammonium nitrate and diesel 

……. Oh, sorry, that was for something else

Recovering Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

32 minutes ago, SlotsNZ said:

Equal parts xxxxxxxx xxxxxxx and xxxxxx 

……. Oh, sorry, that was for something else

Be careful, statements like that can lead to a jail cell these days.  You never know who is watching and they don't have a sense of humour.

The people in charge don't know what they are doing, but they have no idea that they have no idea what they are doing.

Fear is their weapon.  The truth is ours.