Sign in to follow this  
Lynchy

Guides Popping Out

Hi Slotters,

Is anyone else experiencing a problem with the whole guide popping out when you de-slot on a corner? I have the Scaley Ambrose AU Falcon & when I lose it the guide tends to pop right out. I have tried new guides & the problem persists. I can only narrow it down to where the guide turns full lock & meets the actual chassis, it is a bit worn. Should I try & shave this back with a sharp knife or has someone else tried a different method with good results?

Any help would be great, Cheers all,

Lynchy :unsure:

Curiosity killed the cat, I now call my ute "Curiosity".

The blue guides on Scalextric cars have been known for that. I have a black #2 GT40 that does the same thing if the car whips around too quickly. Have had it happen on L88 Vettes, the Challenger cars and others.

Shawn

dedicated.gif

Hey Shawn,

Thanks for the reply. Have you done any mods to stop the problem at all?

What do you , or anyone else, suggest? I am open for all opinions.

I was thinking of taking a really really sharp knife & just slightly shave the section where the guide turns & meets the chassis. This would be a last solution as it is cutting on the chassis & once that is done, it may be irreversable. :huh:

Cheers,

Lynchy...

Hi Lynchy! You can find an appropriately sized self tapping screw and screw it slightly into tho top of the installed guide blade (you will have to remove the car body from the chassis to do this).

The screw will spread the prongs on the guide blade and prevent it from pulling down and out from its mounting hole on that big lose.

Just run the screw in far enough to spread te prongs on the gb so it wont pull out but not so far that it tightens up its rotation too much..A chassis screw should do the trick.

I have found that all of my cars with the old style plug in gb suffer from this problem.

The down side of this fix is that you have to remove the car body to change the gb for a new one with new contact brushes...

I actually don't do it myself for that reason..

Once the car has slid out far enough to pop the gb out,it has crashed anyway and popping the gb back in is no trouble

Phil

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your reply. I took the bodies of my Falcons & realised they are self centering guides. This meant the have a small plastic T-Piece screwed over the top of the guide with a small spring inserted to centre the guide. After some little persuasions & readjusting the screw & also screwing the T-Piece down a few more turns, it has helped enourmously. The guide doesn't pop out anymore, no matter how hard it losses it on the corners.

Cheers again,

Lynchy... :unsure:

Guys for the illiterarti could you please show me pictures??

Ta

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

Eno,

Sorry it took a while to get back, but here is what I mean

dsc064200zs.jpg

This is the T-Piece at the front end. Unscrew this to reveal the self-centering spring.

dsc064244be.jpg

This is the self-centering guide spring. If your guides are popping out, bend the spring head down slightly so it sits firmly in the X of the guide. Screw the T-Piece back on firmly & this should solve your problems.

Hope this helps,

Lynchy

Edited by Lynchy