Making Up Lights

boslot

I needed on track lights for the Lemans Ninco Mclearn F1 endruo coming up in june 2006. So I desided to try and make my own with some 6mm copper tube that I got from Vince and some plastic spoons I found in the kitchen, here are some pics of today effort.

100_0920.jpg

Cut the tube to the right lenght

100_0922.jpg

Then cut the head off the spoon and bend the tube with a tube bender and flaired the end of it to fit a small light globe.

100_0928.jpg

Then with the dremel tool I put a slot in the end of the spoon head.

100_0924.jpg

All up I made eight ligths posts.

100_0926.jpg

They will do the job just fine.

100_0927.jpg

Now its off to Dick smiths to find some suitable light globes

Regards Bo

I've seen this idea done before, great idea, but this other fella used real metal spoons and ground of the handle, and put a plastic straw over the handle to cover his wires,

cheeers

PS the plastic spoons wont melt will they?

Edited by Gyprock

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the latest up date on my lights, got some 12V globes from Dick smith for $1.00 ea and after testing them for two hours they don't get hot at all so my plastic spoon heads won't melt.Also made up some mounting plates and super glued them to the light poles,I think they will do the job just fine.

100_0931.jpg

100_0932.jpg

100_0934.jpg

100_0935.jpg

Regards Bo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I took bo's idea and adapted it for those of us who are metallically challenged.

Plastic tube (hobby shop), plastic spoons (anywhere), grain of wheat bulb (dick smith), spray glue (hardware store), plastic glue, glue gun or epoxy and aluminium foil.

pics0420ii.jpg

Cut the plastic tube to required length, drill small elongated hole about 1 cm down from the top of the tube, place wires of bulb down tube.

Drill hole the same diameter of your tube in handle of spoon, cut handle off spoon and dress the cut end. Slide spoon down over tube to wires and glue in place (plastic glue) and paint the whole thing your desired colour. Now spray the inside of the spoon with spray glue and place foil disc in centre of spoon (reflector), now place a dab of hot glue or epoxy to hold the globe in place ( I glued the end of the wire to the spon not the globe).

pics0431aw.jpg

I did this and lit my circuit on Saturday morning in about 4 hours and cost $25 using 10 lights.

We held a Le Mans night race on Saturday night and they worked perfectly.

Cheers

Garry :)

CHEERS

GARRY

HOKEY POKEY ANONYMOUS ....... A PLACE WHERE YOU CAN TURN YOURSELF AROUND

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I always figured that those Razors us guys use had to have another use...........So i began to explore What Schick could do for me besides scrape my face.

Heres what I came up with: :rofl:

Using a properly bent brass tube I added a Piece from a Wire nut soldered to the tube and mounted a piece of cut Razor hendle with a thin metal shield folded and inserted. 1 positive wire as run up through the tube and the negative was attached at the top and soldered to the bottom of the tube (using the tube as the ground)

I then epoxy'd the razor handle Hood to the tube..............Very similar to the above but with a bit different look :dog:

light6.jpg

light3.jpg

light010.jpg

Edited by Tileguy

• 6 years later...