Sign in to follow this  
oldtamiyaphile

Autoart Diablo Gtr

Finally out, after a over a year of waiting, the AA Diablo GTR is out :lol:

It's probably not really been worth the wait, it's easily AA's best chassis to date (admittedly I haven't tried the Diablo Roadster nor the 996 - which I have yet to see locally). The chassis has a Scalextric type endbell shaft motor, a neat plug lets you separate the chassis and body wiring, not sure why it's taken until now for someone to do this. The axles, front and rear, are brass bushed, with practically no play, side to side or up and down. The chassis feels Carerra solid and quite hefty. Only downside is the plastic pinion, but they seem to be increasingly popular and are generally durable.

The chassis has two neo magnets, unfortunately glued to the chassis, they pop out easily enough, though there is some risk of damaging the chassis if you're not careful.

The body is very nice, and like the other late release road cars features a driver figure. It's nicely detailed with hoodpins, behind mirror air hose, PE grilles and brake rotors etc, but somehow just doesn't impress me like the original Impreza did. The body moulding is also slightly soft, not as crisp as say Scalex or even SCX.

I'm not really able to give the car a proper work out, but it tested as a very smooth, quiet and at least OK handling car out of the box, the track hasn't been used for months and is far too dirty to race on :(

Minor criticisms, but I wanted a little more, since I'm hoping to build a 1:1 in the near future (though I'm now leaning towards the Roadster).

aa_diablo_gtr_1.jpg

aa_diablo_gtr_2.jpg

aa_diablo_gtr_3.jpg

aa_diablo_gtr_4.jpg

aa_diablo_gtr_5.jpg

32nd Reich - For all models 1/32 - Back On-line.

Yellow is such a hard color to model right. Most bodies molded in the yellow color look 'toy-ish'. I know its probably cheaper not to paint cars but had they painted yellow over the bodies color it would probably look better.

Still.. I love the looks of the car. Even so it will probably need a gear change to something with better torque.

Shawn

dedicated.gif

diablo_gtr_top.jpg

The car does appear to be painted, but the paint has run away from hard panel lines, resulting in a slightly translucent appearance, but not as bad as it looks in the earlier pics.

It's also available in orange.

32nd Reich - For all models 1/32 - Back On-line.

I bought one of each colour ( Diablo GTR ) and they both had seriously out of round rear tyres (slicks) but a bit of a sanding job and they run really well, I am very happy with them, and the 2005 Mustang that I also bought. The Mustang comes with treaded tyres that run really smooth straight out of the "plastic case".

I also bought the Autoart 1/24 scale Lamborghini Gallardo and it is a sweet looking car that moves quite well but suffers from a lack of braking. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to improve the braking performance of the Gallardo?

I also have the Ford Focus rally car from Autoart and it too suffers from a lack of decent braking, any hints would be much appreciated. :blink:

Hi Guys i Just went got one of these babies look's surperb but the rear wheels on mine were also in need of sanding.Also th front axel is a little stiff another problem mine seems to have is a lack of power it just doest seem to have any torque or speed don't get me wrong it goes farily well i was hoping it would keep up with my scaley mustang (the only thing so far that can keep up with it it a scaley GT40) it also is very rearend heavy car so when comming down of a bridge it seems to de slot itself. so was wondering cause i am only really new to slot cars how do i get more weight into the front and give it more power cause i love this car and would love to make it competative

Edited by Warlock

I love the car but AA still have a lot to learn about slot cars. Here is what I have done to mine to get it to go. Ozrace motor, Plafit 9 tooth pinion so now the car brakes, Slot it P2 tyres on the rear for grip and I removed the spring from the guide and filled in the gap with plastic to stop the guide from moving around as the car moves. Quite a bit I know but its now competitive with ninco sportscars.

"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it people will eventually come to believe it." - Joseph Goebbels

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

the soldering on the lights is very dodgey on this car also as my light's stopped working cause the wire became desolded. really not happy now as when i was repairing the solder i slipped with the soldering iron and have scorched my diablo not happy at all was going to be my fav slot if i could get it to run well now im not sure what to do with it

Warlock, not sure if this helps as your location isn't shown but I got most of the items from Slotcar Heaven in Melbourne. As for the scorch depending on where it is fill it with some hobby putty and add some racing stripes or numbers to cover it.

"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it people will eventually come to believe it." - Joseph Goebbels

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein