Hi Shaynus.

Thanks for the great reports and a big one to the drivers of my car. 

My car was set-up on a track with copper tape inset 0.1mm but barely run so not surprised some fine tuning required.

Great you WA slotties are enjoying the drive. Looks like it was right up there lap time wise so presume it had a few offs.

Keep up the good work. Note Sports Racer did not lap me in second round so perhaps he changed for a coffee or to pet one of my sheep.

Regards Charles Le Breton  (charlesx)

• Like 1

Hi All,

As an interested bystander, can someone explain how this scoring system works? Cars with less laps can be ranked higher than other cars with more laps? What does the column 'Score' represent?

My guess is it might be something to do with combined partial laps at the end of 4 heats?

Edited by bov

Cheers,

Tony.

There's only two questions:

1. What direction do you go

2. What's the Lap Record?

Hi Bov and Big Den.

Something else I have noticed is my Network 9 Camaro likes the yellow lane and recorded the fastest time in both heats. 

Correct me if I am wrong but it is also one of the few that has a custom paint job.

Regards Charles Le Breton (charlesx)

8 hours ago, bov said:

Hi All,

As an interested bystander, can someone explain how this scoring system works? Cars with less laps can be ranked higher than other cars with more laps? What does the column 'Score' represent?

My guess is it might be something to do with combined partial laps at the end of 4 heats?

Those are the results directly from the race controller program used to run the event, working on points per place , per race, etc. I don't have much experience with RC, so someone who actually knows what they are talking about may be able to shed more light on the subject! :lol:

As an outsider, but with plenty of experience with Race Coordinator there is something wrong with your race setup, usually the laps and score are the same.

RC allocates positions for cars on the same laps based only on the last lap completed before the power cut.

So sometimes a car can actually be in front but because it’s last lap was slow it is shown behind a car with a faster last lap.

That is why it is always important to check actual positions on the track at the finish of a race.

As an example our racing this week had 3 cars on the same lap score at the end of racing, But the car that was in from was shown to the the third car simply because he had a slow last lap.

Phil

Edited by kalbfellp
Better explanation.

Hi All,

So, I went into my latest version of Race Coordinator, and I think what you have happening is that you have it set up to allocate points for the placing of each car in it's 4 heats = 1st - 20 pts, 2nd - 18pts, 3rd - 16pts & 4th - 15pts. ( You can see this in RC via Expert Race Set-Up / Race Manager / Points - and you will see that Point Allocation I described and at the top of that page a Green Tick against 'Use Points' )

And then in your spreadsheet you are adding the Laps Completed to the Points allocated to get your ranking..... 

Personally, I wouldn't do that as it tends to encouraging racing for a Heat 'win', rather than trying to achieve the highest number of laps  for each car - it is the total distance traveled that that I believe should be the true measure of a proxy car's performance.

Should you want to, that's an easy fix, just 'untick' the Use Points option. And then to determine the tie-breaker of equal total lap counts, go up one page in the  Race manager screen - called Scoring - and you'll see in the bottom left hand corner a dropdown of four options to choose from to determine your tie-breaker = fastest lap ( probably my preference ), Average, Median or Total Lap Time.

Moving forward, you'll be good to go...

As for your Scoring for the first two rounds - if it's in a Excel spreadsheet format, just delete the column called Score, And then shift the rows around based on a) Total Laps & b) fastest lap for that car across it's four heats. And then re-allocate your Series Point scores from the revised ranking....

Yes, I'm a Data Analyst - who spends a fair bit of time staring at spreadsheets...

Have pity for me...

• Like 1

Cheers,

Tony.

Hi again Bov.

I know a lot of people like Race Co-ordinator. Have even tried myself. But after 14-15 years I like the simplicity of Trackmate. Fairly basic but very reliable and easily understood.

Apart from that I do not know what you are talking about or at least do not understand. It still surprised me my car could be so fast but well off the pointy end at least in the second round.

Drivers comments would suggest otherwise but did my car de-slot a lot. Perhaps the drivers were just being nice. At least the car appears to be running OK.

Look forward to Round 3 in a couple of weeks.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Thanks for your 'input' gents.  I was tasked with the scoring of the Proxy event by Oldman and decided to go with the following:

Heat Scoring

1st Place = 25 Points, 2nd Place = 20 Points, 3rd Place = 16 points and 4th Place = 13 Points;  this means that the maximum score for 4 heats is 100 points and rewards consistency for a Cars / Drivers performance over the 4 Heats / Lanes.

As can be seen, not all Cars run well in all lanes and so the Cars that perform well across all Lanes will score better than the Cars that only perform well in the 2 Middle Lanes......this equates to straight line speed versus handling.

After all Cars have completed their 4 Heats, these points accumulate and we end up with a Ladder for the evenings Racing.  Cars on the same points are separated on their Average Speed across all 4 Heats - once again, less offs means a Lower Average Speed and therefore, a better performing Car / Driver and a higher position in the Overall Standings.

Race Scoring

The Final Points are awarded from 1st:- 25, 20, 16, 13, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2.

This system will even out the spread of variation of Cars driven by different Drivers over the course of the 8 Race Meetings for the Event.

I am more than Happy with this System after 2 rounds and the Best Performing Cars are were they should be in the 'Pecking Order'

Tank

****** for Clarification :- The Laps shown in the Spreadsheet are just an indication of the number of Laps (out of a possible Total of 40) that the Car completed in the Heats. We choose to allow all Cars to complete the Lap they are on when the Leader finishes the Race.

Thanks for the explanation Tank. Seems to me a strange system but it is your proxy.  Keep up the good work.

I am in a Teams Racing event at present where a similar points system is used.  Some dislike but it is the same for everybody.

If you look at the Taranaki Slot Car Racing  Club site on FB you will see results of 1st round of the Rainforest Eatery Fiat Abarth  Teams Racing event. Round 2 is tomorrow.

Ok - I get it now...

For each event ( race night of the proxy ) - each car runs four 10 lap races ( on a different lane each race ). The first car to do the 10 laps gets 25 points, and the remaining cars get to finish the lap they're on. So, in each race 2nd, 3rd & 4th may also complete 10 laps, but just as likely lower finishers may complete fewer laps...

I guessing each race 10 lap race must take under 90 sec to run? 

And then the total of the race points dictates the allocation of series points...

It's a different way of doing things, but would be very dependent on how the heat groupings are established. 1 relatively fast car with 3 significantly lesser cars in the same heat group could easily score 100 points, but perhaps wouldn't score so well within a more evenly matched heat group..

Main thing is to have fun!

Cheers,

Tony.

Hi Bov and Tank.

I appreciate this is Mandurah's first proxy but the more I hear about this the more concerned I become. Surely every racer should have the same chance of winning.

The last comment about a top racer winning against very easy competition and getting an advantage over another who has far better competition seems completely wrong but hopefully that is not happening.

For the last 10+ years I have chased proxies around the world but have never struck one with such a system. I have often been in 3-4 a year (pre-covid) and one year no less than 12.

Usually all racers race for the same time and the number of laps count or set laps x time with points awarded 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.

Lessons for the future perhaps but let me know if I can help. I am just going to enjoy this proxy no matter how I go. It is good to get invoived again.

Thanks for the Reply Bov - you are correct with regard to the Heat Groupings and this has happened once already!  We 'Randomise' the order with RC before each Race Set so that the Groupings are mixed and once again, the Results will even themselves out over the 8 Race Series.

Of Note to date is that no Car has scored 100 points and the best set of Results has been 2 x 1st places and 2 x 2nd Places, so I am comfortable that we have it right :)

Edited by Tank
typo

kalbfellp - Please Read and Digest!!

for someone who has no (R) no 'skin in the game', you certainly like to 'force' your opinion! We are well aware of the strengths and weaknesses of RC, in particular, the Randomise Function.  In all of your posts, you make the assumption that, because we have not ever run a Proxy Event before, that we know nothing about RC.

This assumption would be incorrect. For you to say outright, "there is something wrong with (y)our race setup" (without ever having seen our setup), shows an air of arrogance that we do not see as being positive in any way, shape or form.

Your other comments are also strongly founded on your opinion (and not fact) and we all know the rule of thumb when it comes to opinions.

You are not adding any value to this thread but rather de-stabilising the conversation, so I would respectfully ask you to find another thread to air your 'experience'

Hi Tank.

I have little knowledge of Race Co-ordinator but I commend you for putting the work into setting it up. I was pestered for several years to use but while I started a couple of times I thought too much work. Our whole club uses Trackmate. I am sure your club must get the benefit of its many attributes and your proxy entries will  too. It is just hard for simple folk like me to understand but I did not try very hard.

Re Phil however he is an absolute gentleman and a great stalwart of slotting and proxy racing. I will say no more.