Sign in to follow this  
Vark1985

Photogrammetry?

Has anyone tried Photogrammetry to get a 3d model which you can edit for 3d printing. I've read this article and it seems that photogrammetry is the best way to digitize something and spend as less money as possible. The question I have is that I need to capture a really tiny parts, around  1-2 cm in length. I use Canon D3500 with AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G and the issue is that I can't get the whole depth to be in focus in one photo. I can make several from a single angle to capture the whole depth, but i don't understand how to use in in the photogrammetry software. Or should I combine this sets into a single photo in photoshop or something? I'm not good at photo editing. Or, I hope someone can suggest me some setting on my camera or lens, or other lenses.

• Like 2

The article itself says what you need to know:

"The trade-off is that the final shape of the model is usually imperfect. The average 3D scanner may sometimes struggle with shiny, transparent, or black surfaces, but with photogrammetry the number of artifacts and amount of noise you inevitably have to deal with is vastly greater. The result is, ultimately, a model with high-definition texture, but also a lot of noise and imperfect geometry."

If you can't get literally hundreds of clear photos from every possible angle, don't bother. Even if you can, the results will be all bumpy and imperfect. If you want a good quality print, the best way to start with the model is modeling software, not photogrammetry. Even the really expensive, commercial grade scanners, spit out bumpy models that then need to be worked on for hours to make them look good or print well.

• Like 1