21 replies to this topic

#1 hoffy

Should be out finishing track

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 08:57 PM

Hot on the heals of the track sensor topic :lol:

What software are people using out there? I've spent quite a lot of my weekend (I spent all day at work :) Oh the joys of working in IT at least) sussing out software, what has good features and what has bad features.

Granted, I have been looking mainly at FreeWare. I have looked at Slot Race Manager, Trackmate (the dos version), Slot timer 2000 and in the past I have looked at Dingo Timer. Also, I have had a good play with our local clubs software Slot Race timer (Developed by Wade, who occasionally looks in the 1/24th section).

Now, what else is out there that is worth looking at? Out of the ones that I have played with, I have formed some opinions, but I would like to know what others think of what they are using before I say.

Cheers
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 pmc356

Kart Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 09:09 PM

I've ended up writing my own, mainly because I'm using Linux and there were no slot car timing apps written for Linux out there. At this stage I have just completed a basic timing program that lets me time laps on all lanes, but am working on putting in a start sequence and adding a race mode. I have built my own start lights and have tested the first part of the application to get the 1 light 2 light etc up to 5 and then all out signals go.

At this stage I'm happy with what I've built, but as I don't host races I can't say this is a big endorsement for my software :) . Doesn't matter as I'm having fun writing the application and then having more fun testing it.

Paul
Paul

#3 RePete

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 09:18 PM

Hey Hoffy

Have a read of these threads you might find some interesting info

Thread 1

There is also a some info I reported a while back halfway down this thread

Thread 2

hope it helps
Keep it in the groove
Pete

#4 hoffy

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 09:20 PM

pmc356, on Feb 12 2006, 08:39 PM, said:

I've ended up writing my own, mainly because I'm using Linux and there were no slot car timing apps written for Linux out there. At this stage I have just completed a basic timing program that lets me time laps on all lanes, but am working on putting in a start sequence and adding a race mode. I have built my own start lights and have tested the first part of the application to get the 1 light 2 light etc up to 5 and then all out signals go.

At this stage I'm happy with what I've built, but as I don't host races I can't say this is a big endorsement for my software :) . Doesn't matter as I'm having fun writing the application and then having more fun testing it.

Paul
A version on Linux? You would be about the only one!!!! Having dabbled a bit with Linux (Dabble = Playing....Certainly no developing for me....), I would be intersted to see how you go....

Make sure you keep us posted :lol:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Bladehunter

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 09:31 PM

pmc356, on Feb 12 2006, 09:09 PM, said:

At this stage I'm happy with what I've built, but as I don't host races I can't say this is a big endorsement for my software :lol: . Doesn't matter as I'm having fun writing the application and then having more fun testing it.

Paul
If you need any help in testing I'd be willing to give it go if you'd like :)

#6 Gyprock

Kart Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 12:36 PM

[QUOTE] I have built my own start lights and have tested the first part of the application to get the 1 light 2 light etc up to 5 and then all out signals go.
pmc356, that sounds like a drag strip start, you should work on making a drag strip program, because some people are getting into making drag strips, I'am going to eventually and I haven't seen much of drag timing programs, just a thought.

cheeers gene

#7 Kai

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:26 PM

TrakMate is the only software, I can think of, that makes Dragrace timing. It costs a fortune :)
Kai Bach Andersen
http://www.osteguf.dk

Posted Image

#8 slotmad

Kart Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:46 PM

I use Lap Timer 2000 and I think it's the best of the freeware out there. It really depends what you want from the software, though. How about a list of want you want it to do?

Cheers

Andrew
Stay in the slot

http://www.xlr8raceway.com

#9 slotbaker

Dan Gurney Fan

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:57 AM

Bit of an old thread, but I was asked if I knew about any software progs, so for what it's worth, it seems to fit if I list the ones I am aware of here. :ph34r:

Ultimate racer 3
Laptimer 2000
Slot race Manager (SRM)
Trakmate
Dingo Timer
Spy Tech
VRS

Some are free, some are spensive, and some only do a few lanes, but check them out to see which ones suit you.

Anyone got others? :huh:

Edited by slotbaker, 17 August 2006 - 09:00 AM.

Steve K.

#10 Gyprock

Kart Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:43 AM

Speaking of timing gear I have just started useing laptimer 2000 and I can't work out how to use the qualifying, can anyone help me, thanks fella's

cheeers gene

#11 kalbfellp

Formula 1 Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,856 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:57 AM

Depends on what you want to do.We ran Trakmate DOS for several years and have now brought 4 interfaces to run Windows simply because it makes the race results very easy to save and transfer to Excel.

The DOS version is now free but you need an old version installed first, I could help there.
Are you trying to get all this going before the proxy race?

Phil

#12 Gyprock

Kart Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:03 AM

no not me, I'am not involved with the proxy race, it's just I can't work the qualifying out on laptimer 2000, I'am only useing 2 lanes but I was playing around with it for when I might have more racers, and I can't get any other names up, other than the 2 , I can't rotate them sort'er

#13 kalbfellp

Formula 1 Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,856 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:31 PM

I was refering to Hoffy! Isn't he running a round.

Phil

#14 slotbaker

Dan Gurney Fan

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:51 AM

Came accross another software package that is digi compatable.
PC Lapcounter.

Edited by slotbaker, 22 August 2006 - 11:54 AM.

Steve K.

#15 tooter

Collector

• Auslotters
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:17 PM

I use Startline on my four lane and found it excellent.

#16 slotbaker

Dan Gurney Fan

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:08 PM

tooter, on August 22, 2006 09:17 pm, said:

Where do ya get it? :lol:

Is there a website that tells about it?
:huh:
Steve K.

#17 hoffy

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:42 PM

ahhh, the proxy is sorted. Dont worry about that. (I hadn't been reading this thread. I have had my software sorted ages ago)

I use either SRM or a locally developed DOS varient, made by Forest (Wade). These seem to work rather well

Cheers
Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 Vinno

GP2 Driver

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,520 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:41 PM

slotbaker, on August 22, 2006 10:08 pm, said:

tooter, on August 22, 2006 09:17 pm, said:

Where do ya get it? :o

Is there a website that tells about it?
:)
Armchair sells it and "aastes" is the man.

#19 espsix

Garage Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:17 PM

Anyone know of MAC compatible timing software?

#20 knoath

Formula 3 Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 06:39 AM

tvwino wrote

I use 'digital slot racer'. I like it because it runs on a MAC, is digital (of course), and what would make it better is when Marcus finishes writing it and is stops being beta... 

Actually, it's fairly basic - but manages to keep track of all 6 cars in the race on the SSD track.

It still needs a database of slot car pics to choose from and a few other aesthetics, but essentially it works great and stops you having to peer at the tiny LCD on the SSD powerbase.

There's no sensor bridge required - just a cable and MAX232 adaptor connected from the SSD AUX port to the MAC laptop USB port.

:angry:
Cheers,
Dick

SCMR build thread
Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users