Emu Park

Vinno

I have finally started my first MDF routed track. So far I have cut out the board which consists of 9mm MDF.

The strange shape is because I need to park the family car in the garage. The track is 3.3 metres long by 3.1 metres wide. It runs down the Symons plains style curve to the hairpin at the end of the straight. I will build an extension piece later on which wil add a couple more metres to the end of the straight and maybe a Spa style bus stop chicane on the way back.

It is a narrow track so will be easy to marshall. It will be three lanes and is 350mm wide at its narrowest.

I will be using braid but am undecided on the paint. I may not use Forrodor jsut to have a different surface to race on.

Next weekend will be the frame. The track is going to undulate quite a lot but I still want to race Slot. It cars on it so will have to experiment with it a bit.

emupark01.jpg

Lookin Great Vince

Always good to see somthing different

Not using Ferrodore hey :huh: Thats funny I've just been on the dulux site looking it up

Your track is an interesting take on the figure 8 concept

I look forward to seeing more progress

Cheers Pete

Keep it in the groove

Pete

Hey Vinno, isn't it great when you do the first cut? I was saying 'I'm gunna do this' for two years before I started, now I'm halfway. I can almost see some sort of light at the end.

I won't be using Ferrodor either, and when I'm all complete and settled (we're moving in March out Richmond way) I would like get together with you guys, and possibly add my track to the circuit.

How many people are routing tracks at the moment???????

I've got one.

Edited by schuey19

Vinno - this track is simply going to rock. :)

I only have one suggestion mate. Hope you don't mind. :huh:

Make the top right wiggles keep climbing and winding up to the switchback & swap the bridge over. It'd mean you lose sight of the car momentarily on a straightish sweeper bit rather than coming in/out of a bloody hard bit.

With what you've already done make the extention to the track now - it looks bloody brilliant already & if you made the closest side straight straight then made the other side "medium" curves you have my dream track.

That's straighty fast bits. An awesome sweeper to boot. tight wiggly bits & middly cornery bits. No one can set their car up for anything in particular 'cause you need half a car with speed & stability and half a car with high acceleration & quick turny stuff.. :P

It's very very cool Vince - I can't wait to see the finished product.. I'll bring some slot.it cars.. :huh:

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

Excellant Vinno, looks like a big project. I like the modifed figure eight and that big sweeper is awesome.

When you route the lanes will you use some sort of "lexan strip" or will you run a guide off the ouside of the track and then use each lane as a guide for the next?

How may sheets of MDF did you use?

looking forward to seeing your progress

Paul

Paul

Vince, love the long sweeper. Don't like the rug.

Rest of track looks like plenty of space for scenery which is important. Luf is doing a similar design at the moment, there's a thread on it on the SCI site.

A few challenging bits to keep people honest, and hopefully a merge or two to make them think and plan ahead.

Find me at Card Guys for custom trading cards

PMC356

I am using a 3 metre long plastic strip from Bunnings. I used three sheets of MDF but I could have used less. I wanted to have the joins in specific areas so I used an extrra sheet. $23.00 each at the timber yard at Penrith. Much cheaper than anywhere else.

Martin

Maybe not as much scenery area as you think as there wont be a lot of space around the outside. The rug is comfortable when I have to sleep outside so don't knock it. It is actually a throw away from inside but I thought it was handy for getting under the car.

Eno

The overpass is not really decided yet. I was originally going to do it the way you said but this is just the way I layed it out. I am planning to get as much elevation as the cars will drive on. I have been inspired by some of the rally tracks on Archer Raceways site.

Guest Guest_Eggmeister

Vince,

Looks great and I reckon that sweeper will be a blast to drive in BOTH directions.

I like the design and as the fellows have already outlined lots of tricky bits.

Egg

Hey Vince, you couldn't take a picture of the plastic strip could you?

I tried to use a plastic strip I had but it's snapped.

BTW, seeing that long sweeper has got me thinking.......

"I spent most of my money on beer, women and slot cars. The rest I just wasted."

• 3 months later...

About time I updated with some new pics. I have built the table to support the track and mounted it on casters so I can pull it out when people come to race. Most of the track is routed but I wanted to set the elevations before I remove the overbridge section so I can route semi straight. I have left that till last as the join in the straight moves depanding on the elevations. A few small mistakes were made but they are easily repaired.

newemupark02.jpg

This is my flexy strip which is made from a piece of plastic I picked up from Bunnings and some dowel so the strip can be bent either direction when routing. A bit of work to make but it works well and I can route in two metre runs. Took about two and a half hours to route what I have done so far.

newemupark03.jpg

Looking great Vince it is really starting to take shape now.

Have you decided on the paint ?

While you were building your track mine came down this weekend all dismantled and ready for the move.

Charlie

Ferrodore Charlie. I like the way the cars drive on Bo's and it means two tracks of the same surface for us to race on.

I bought Slot.it shares so I want to see the tyre sale go up. :D

I bought Slot.it shares so I want to see the tyre sale go up. 

actually that's funny - would anyone else (except Vinno who's biased apparently) have any idea how many slot car companies are on the 'trading' boards around the world and how they've gone?? Perhaps it's time for us all to do some fund raising, invest & let the companies that make a profit from us pay for our forum! :unsure:

ok - I don't really mean to leave you out Vinno.. :P give us your wisdom..

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

Nice job so far Vince. Too bad I don't work at Boral anymore or I'd come and help you out....when it's ready, that is.

Maybe you will be working out this way again by the time I finish it. Thanks for the replies I am looking forward to getting it going but I am resisting rushing it.

I think I might can the extension to the straight though as it will take up too much room when added and if our race numbers keep going the way they are then the garage will be full the way the track is now.

Have to look at some insulation for the roof too as it gets bloody cold out there at night.

• 1 month later...

I have finally got the track up and running after having the last two weeks off on annual leave.

Last week was doing those jobs around the house that have not been touched for the last six months during the day and painting and braiding my track during the night.

I have not used the Ferrodore paint as I was going to as the track is tight and I wanted to keep speeds down to have some sort of realism.

This week was a few days in the Hunter Valley wining and dining and now home again to put a few laps on the track before work again next week.

newemupark04.jpg

An overveiw of the whole track. A lap is around 11.5 metres which seems tiny after some of the tracks I have driven in the last couple of years. The funny shape fits it into the end of the garage so I can fit the car in.

newemupark05.jpg

Entering the main straight/curve.

newemupark06.jpg

Under the overpass and up the rise into the far hairpin. This is the most fun so far with the cars getting the rear end airborn into the hairpin. The grip is still low but is improving a touch with a bit of wear.

newemupark07.jpg

Looking back towards the hairpin entering the Spa type section of the track. The grip is just starting to improve through here.

A lot of work to go but for the moment I will just enjoy having a track for a few weeks seeing as I will be back at work.

Looking good there Vinno. HOw does it drive? & what paint did you end up using?

Now, just a quick word of advise. Disconnect the power supply NOW....Now give it to someone you can trust & tell them to hold onto the power supply until all the little jobs are complete....

south_1.jpg

Catchfence.jpg