Car creep zero throttle

Tonyaussie

My 6 car advanced unit is going ok. Have learned basic operations, throttle calibration, pace cars etc.

However I've had car creep with zero throttle and cant for the life of me understand how to get rid of it. I've done the above and also added brake to the throttle so it should be braking at standstill. 

Any advice appreciated.

Have Scalextric highway pursuit and Bathurst legends sets joined up

Tony

The OEM throttles for Scalextric Digital are not particularly high quality, and the sliding resistor can get dirty or be inaccurate sometimes.

Pull the throttles apart that do this even after you've calibrated them. Pop off the bits that span across the two halves of the controller, and then remove the screws and it will come apart easily. Get a cotton swab and some electrical contact cleaner, or meths/isopropyl-alcohol/denatured-alcohol, and use one end dipped in cleaner to wipe the sliding resister down on both sides from end to end, then use the dry end of the swab to get up any left on cleaner. I've also been using INOX MX3 on mine, because it does such a great job of making that kind of contact work well.

Aside from that, there's a mod that can be done to them, where you solder a little jumper at one end of the slider across two of the contacts, which provides better grounding of the sliding resistor. This was invented and shown in detail by Rich G on SlotForum.

https://www.slotforum.com/threads/wireless-throttles-for-display-pro.62735/page-5#post-709358

• Like 1

no problem. The two throttles concerned have been used 95% of the time since I purchased them. So I would safely assume the other two will need shortening soon. A slightly shorter spring should be modified by scalextrics as this would be an overall fault. Thanks again.

Well, how long ago did you purchase them and how often are they used? Springs will fail over time as the metal is stressed and weakens. All springs, even if they are designed perfectly. If anything, they never expected any of the controllers to be used so much that the springs actually got to the failure point. 

Also, it's just a spring. In early years, people were replacing them with all kinds of random, but fitting, springs in order to get softer or stronger response in the trigger. Personally, I preferred the softer response from a Parma Turbo spring. Many people just went to a hardware store to pick springs that looks similar. In any case, they're certainly not hard to replace. Or in your case, shorten. :)

Well, I'm glad you're tackling the issues, rather than throwing up your hands and dropping the hobby. There's a fix or workaround for pretty much everything, so be sure and do some diligent googling, and of course, don't be afraid to ask if you can't find the answer. I readily admit that things are not always easy to find, especially if you are new to the hobby and unfamiliar with the nomenclature. For example, your power base is probably the one we call the "APB" or C7042, so be sure to use one or both of those terms when seeking help for it. :)

SlotForum.com has been a go-to forum for Scalextric Digital topics since its origin in 2006, and a lot of the stuff from ages ago still applies today, such as the controller cleaning and spring thing. Some things only apply to the APB, and some things only apply to the new ARC Pro base.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks mate. It creates obstructions, an obstacles site. The track is loosely based on the Bathurst race track, Australia's most famous annual race that is 1000km. We have had kangaroos on the track and one famous race in 1980 saw a rock land on the track on the 1st lap destroying the pole car. So I do plan to connect up some model aircraft servos and add emerging wildlife and a "rock" that must be avoided. That is in addition to the track ones- intersection, merging track, corner crossovers etc.

https://www.facebook.com/100001044765864/videos/1001308754094719/

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=5405724792805626&set=pcb.2032876636893817

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=5365522860159153&set=pcb.2021894834658664

• Like 1