charlesx

Track ideas wanted for 1/24th 7m by 1.8m

Hi all. Just starting to look at options for a new home 1/24th metal car track. Plenty of ideas myself but no harm opening up to other ideas. Perhaps there is an existing track out there that design could be adapted. Track needs to be very open with equal lane lengths as basically test track for open competition - lane width minimum 100mm but 110mm better and outside gutter minimum 150mm. An inner gutter of 100mm would probably suffice.

Construction hopefully by CNC with indented braid.

Look forward to any ideas or suggestions.

Regards Charles Le Breton

We race 1/24 Carrera and Scaleauto GT's on most of the tracks used for the Touring Car Proxy.

100mm spacing, 100mm gutters.

Andrew builds all his tracks with 100mm spacing and tracks like this are great for the 1/24's.

274130901_1537601359960443_8383899543808

May the downforce be with you.

Thanks Sports Racer/Paul. That is very similar to one of the potential track designs I have given my brother. Surprised about the outside gutter though but metal cars probably need more room. Have no experience with Carrera or Scaleauto 1/24th. Do you know the basic dimensions of this track? Ta for your input. Regards Charles Le Breton

PS. This is also a very similar design to one of our 1/32nd 4 lane tracks.

Edited by charlesx

My gutters are 170mm, 1/24 dtm cars can still catch the fence prior to a deslot, and brm Camaros and mustangs also get very close when overcooked. For what it's worth i consider your 150mm gutter a pretty decent number, i have found if the outside wall is too close it gets used for advantage by the outer lane. 

Google image Melbourne Model Raceway. This track is 6m long and width would be in the ballpark, i must admit i don't remember the exact width. 5 lanes, 100mm spacing, wide gutters, must be at least 200mm. The track is simple enough to learn however mastery takes a considerable number of laps. The track is well suited to both 1/32 and 1/24 classes, although the brm group c cars were too wide to race cleanly. This may be worth a look.

My mum says I'm an excellent driver

Hi Manimal.

1/24th metal cars are limited to about 83mm wide and are relatively short overall so while 200mm is good you can get away with a bit less. No t sure about Wing cars but they are unlikely to be raced in New Plymouth.

Thanks for your input. I can imagine 1/24th Group C would be pretty long so your comment about them is not unexpected. Track would be used for 1/32nd RTR but not 1/24th RTR as I am not aware they are raced in NZ. We do have a 1/24th Classic Canam class (still basically a metal car) but even the Shadow is only 185mm long and guide post to rear axle much shorter.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

I agree with manimmal about lane spacing for 1/24 cars on the corners 150mm is good - 120mm is ok anything >150mm is a bonus.

100mm or 105 mm lane spacing is good

cheers

DM

On 2/9/2022 at 2:57 PM, charlesx said:

Hi all. Just starting to look at options for a new home 1/24th metal car track. Plenty of ideas myself but no harm opening up to other ideas. Perhaps there is an existing track out there that design could be adapted. Track needs to be very open with equal lane lengths as basically test track for open competition - lane width minimum 100mm but 110mm better and outside gutter minimum 150mm. An inner gutter of 100mm would probably suffice.

Construction hopefully by CNC with indented braid.

Look forward to any ideas or suggestions.

Regards Charles Le Breton

Hi Charles, 

You might find the Track Library at slotracer.online very helpful, I've posted the link specifically for the 1:24 routed tracks as you mentioned you are looking at: https://slotracer.online/track-plans/routed/index.html

While the full Track Library link is: https://slotracer.online/track-plans/index.html

I went for a full modular MrTrax setup, terrific track design and being modular you can change the design with some extra modules weekly if you desired. mrtrax.com

25-Shenanigans-Raceway-Mr-Slotcar-Mr-Tra

Johnno