The Isochronus Curve

tonka500

Hi Peeps,

I'm in the early planning stages for a routed slot track. I've got about 4' by 18' to play with and am thinking of a 2 lane analog Bertrand 8 style track. Something like this to give a rough outline:
Bertrand02.png

Through the wonders of youtube algorithms this video got prompted to me today and I found it really interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBc827pwKf0

It got me thinking about making one of the big 180 degree corners at either end of the track an isochronus curve.

Has anyone included an isochronus curve in their track? If so how does it run? And if not got any guesses? I tend to make my curves elliptical as I like a smooth transition from straight to curve. Do you think an isochronus curve would have an OK blend from straight to curve?

Thanks!
Andrew

Edited by tonka500
More details
  • Like 1

I think a curve such as that would work well, and would be interesting to drive. That is only an opinion, not from experience as I've drawn tracks with elliptical curves and with opening/ closing radius curves that I think would go well, bit unfortunately, never actually had one built or built one myself! :lol:

A couple of thoughts...

1. Tonka - didn't you have a quite marvelous routed track years ago?

2. My Scaly Sport track 5' x 16' has a couple of increasing / decreasing radius turns R3/R3/R2/R2/R2 - and a 180 degree hairpin of R2/R1/R1/R2 - which works quite well.... with the track being bi-directional it makes the R3/R3/R2/R2/R2 sequence at either the beginning or end of the long straight ( depending on direction... ) an interesting challenge in regards to braking or accelerating ( depending on direction ... ) 

So I say - if you can do it, go for it!

Cheers,

Tony.

There's only two questions:

1. What direction do you go

2. What's the Lap Record?

Thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated. 

Yeah Bov I had a track a few years ago that was heaps of fun. It's gone to the great race track in the sky now. Getting the need to slot again though!

I haven't got any plastic track to try the curve out on. Think I'll sketch it out in full scale (about 1200mm diameter) and see how it looks with a car our two sitting on it.

Keep ya updated :)

Going wide to tight, or even tight to wide, is pretty common. But, and this is only my personal opinion, a corner that starts tight, widens out, and then tightens up again before the straight, is an annoying turn to navigate. THAT'S what an isochronus curve it. I'd rather go in on a tight turn, and leave that tight turn for a short straight into another tight turn. 

Isochronus.jpg

Edited by MrFlippant

Hi Tonka. In my humble opinion the sample track contains no true Isochronus curve. Sure the right hand end has a short straight section but this is not a true Iso curve which is based on different radii curves although the outgoing curve bears a slight resemblance. In mthe two tighter curves are clearly opinion Parabolic. Have to say though that my preference if for corners that either tighten up or broaden. This helps a track flow but still involves some degree of additional skill over regular bends particularly when used in combination. These can easily be set up with set plastic track but easier if routing your own. For what it is worth. Regards Chas Le Breton

• Like 1