Wobble

Scalextric Cougar chassis wanted

Hi guys, I'm wanting a Scalextric Mercury Cougar chassis if there's one floating about out there somewhere or even a chassis with the front and back cut off outside the mounts. Even a rubbish Cougar with a good chassis could be an option too.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

If all else fails and your unable to obtain one locally, here or NZ, try Lendons of London.

Picked up the Cougar chassis's and a few others at a decent price.

Might take a while, especially this time of year.

At least it gives you an option.

Matt

• Like 1

Thanks for that Mobbzee, didn't think about Pendles and yet they've got a car I've got my eye on so shouldn't add too much to the post.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

The chassis Pendle & Shapeways sell are that far ahead of the Scalextric Cougar chassis. The Cougar IMO is the worst car in that series to get to handle. I was asking Harry Wise (HRW) about tackling the beast on a video tutorial and Harry even said it's a challenge. In saying this I lover that model car and will go down the 3D chassis path myself

Thanks for that Oldskool62. I wanted to get one of these - Scalextric Chevrolet Camaro IROC No.33 SCCA Trans-AM (C4220) (pendleslotracing.co.uk) - and so far they're a no-show here and I didn't want to miss out so I took the plunge and added a Scaley Cougar chassis to the list. I like their Cougar and have 5 different liveries of them and have no problems getting them to go well. Sure it takes a bit of time and effort but definitely worth it as they go real good if you get it right and can hold their own against other standard s/w chassis'd 18k T/A cars. Also, I've got gorse in my pockets and would rather fiddle with a car than throw heaps of dosh at it to get it going well. The Cougar chassis has the right wheelbase for the HQ Monaro body I have and the width of the axles suit it too, and I'd like similar performance at the end of the day.

• Like 1

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

@Wobble I'd love a few pointers on getting them right as they are also one of my favorites as well. I have a HQ Monaro at home that I put a HRS2 chassis under but also have another body to do so thanks for the heads up about the Cougar chassis.

4 hours ago, Oldskool62 said:

@Wobble I'd love a few pointers on getting them right as they are also one of my favorites as well. I have a HQ Monaro at home that I put a HRS2 chassis under but also have another body to do so thanks for the heads up about the Cougar chassis.

No problems, this was the most recent so I can recall better what's happened. I can't do a before and after but here is the end result. The quickest of mine can hold their own with the Scalex Camaro's and Pioneer T/A's I race against. What can't be seen is de-wobbling the standard guide (remove about 0.5mm from the top of the stem and don't tighten screw too tight (gorse pockets again)) and only the rear facing layer of braid under the guide plate. edit Also turn down the standard front tyres or use something smaller.

DSCF2919.jpg

and the process which isn't as bad as it looks. The chassis. Cut off each end as per pickies (I used a razor saw), shave/file/sand a bit off each side between the wheels (green arrows) and file off cups on chassis mounts (blue arrows).

DSCF2916.jpg

DSCF2917.jpg

Under the body. Glue the ends into the body (green arrows), shave off the sides of the interior (red arrows) to allow it to sit down in the chassis and take about 2mm (+or -) off front body posts to suit.

DSCF2916-Copy.jpg

Edited by Wobble
  • Like 2

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Best of luck with yours Matt. And, a couple of things I forgot to mention and that is the removal of the little man thingy on the top of the motor and any bits and bobs under the tray of the interior above the motor that can hinder lowering. Also, I replaced the front axle with piano wire so it's easier to true the front tyres. The silver marks on the front tyres (3rd pickie) show the lined up wheels when put back on the piano wire axle after truing.

Edited by Wobble
  • Like 2

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

2 hours ago, Oldskool62 said:

@WobbleThanks for this. I have mine on the set up plate as we speak. Armed with my trusty Dremmel (could be dangerous).

Good luck with it; well worth the effort I reckon...

• Like 1

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

On 12/11/2021 at 7:27 AM, Wobble said:

Good luck with it; well worth the effort I reckon...

@WobbleBar sanding  the new MJK rears, its ready for a test. Thanks again.

NB: Did you use any weight? The 1st pic looks like weight under the car.

1 hour ago, Oldskool62 said:

@WobbleBar sanding  the new MJK rears, its ready for a test. Thanks again.

NB: Did you use any weight? The 1st pic looks like weight under the car.

Yep I noticed that in the photo but there is nothing there, just the refection playing silly buggers. However there is  some weight; a bit of lead in the magnet pocket the same size as a magnut. The weight is 85 grams all up with 52g over the rear axle.

ps Have you tried MJK's without sanding them but just rounding the edges a bit? If your wheels are reasonably true they are as sticky as. I've put them on cars with only the centres touching 1-2mm and they have almost too much grip.

Edited by Wobble
added ps
  • Like 1

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Had a crack modifying my spare Cougar yesterday afternoon.

Took a before and after pic to show the difference.

51744351335_6fdfeac686_z_d.jpg

51743701918_7b66ba443b_z_d.jpg

Have gone with the MJK tyres which we use on the Pioneer cars at the club in the bottom pic but will see what else I have laying around.

These seem to be slightly bigger than the originals but can be easily sanded down.

Found some small front tyres which fit nicely, just touching the set up block atm.

Unfortunately this car has no interior, I will have to make one up to suit and the car will be ready to go.

Car definitely looks heaps better now, cheers Wobble for posting up pics of your modifications.

Just noticed I haven't put the exhausts back on, will modify them to fit like you have Wobble.

cheers

Matt

Edited by mattcrackers
  • Like 2

Looking good. I need to have another crack at my #79 Cougar 'cos it's the slowest. I think it's just a weak motor.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

@WobbleI'll hold 5 on the sanding of the MJK's. Found a set of tyres for the front that does the job. Also put ting some weight in the magnet pocket as you suggest. I take it goes in the original magnet location right at the rear behind the motor?

@mattcrackersLooks awesome Matt. Not sure which part number you used on the rear but I have 4811's on mine and it looks slightly lower profile than the ones you have and fit good.

Once I learn how to post pictures I'll put some up. :)

Cheers 

Warren

@WobbleI'll hold 5 on the sanding of the MJK's. Found a set of tyres for the front that does the job. Also put ting some weight in the magnet pocket as you suggest. I take it goes in the original magnet location right at the rear behind the motor?

@mattcrackersLooks awesome Matt. Not sure which part number you used on the rear but I have 4811's on mine and it looks slightly lower profile than the ones you have and fit good.

Once I learn how to post pictures I'll put some up. :)

Cheers 

Warren

I put the piece of lead in the magnet pocket just in front of the motor. Truthfully, I didn't even notice a magnet pocket under the rear axle and had to look at the photos to check it out.

Also, you'll need to use a photo hosting site and Postimages is easy as - Postimages — free image hosting / image upload  -

• Like 1

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

13 hours ago, Wobble said:

Looking good. I need to have another crack at my #79 Cougar 'cos it's the slowest. I think it's just a weak motor.

Yeah, bit more work to do on mine to.

Gave it a run last night, if you call it that, lol.

Noticed when giving it a run last night it was jumping all over the place.

The rear wheels and gear are all on the p!@s, haven't been pushed on square to the axle.

Will try to straighten these, if all else fails I'll just use some metal wheels.

• Like 1

Mine gets thrown in the deep end today and raced against the local guys in the Trans Am class. 

@Wobblethanks for the set up tips.

In the deep end eh? Well good luck with that and playing with the big boys. Hope you noticed the small print. There's no money back guarantee with this one, but then it wouldn't have cost too much anyway.

• Like 1

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

21 hours ago, Wobble said:

In the deep end eh? Well good luck with that and playing with the big boys. Hope you noticed the small print. There's no money back guarantee with this one, but then it wouldn't have cost too much anyway.

Hahaha I did read the fine print. @Wobble it's a totally different beast to what it was & has a lot of potential for sure. One of the guys who put's together some seriously quick cars is having a play with it so I'll be curious to see how it goes next week. 

• Like 1