davo43

Are Motors directional ?

I have a few NSR King 21 Evo/3 engines and was wondering if they perform better one way than the other, in the past i just stuck them in the way the way the writing was written on the sticker coating the engine. Is it something i should test on each engine individually but before i do i thought id ask better slot car minds than mine here for their thoughts, does it apply to other brands of engines too?, any info would be appreciated

Direction:

Yes,  slot motors are directional, but not by design, just errors introduced by cheap manufacture.

Most RTR cars run the motors clockwise.

NSR are untypical that they run the king motors anti clockwise. 

Get a laser tachometer and test your motors, then install them in cars that are making the best use of any timing bias that exists in the motor.

Orientation:

Motors ARE often often designed to have an installation orientation, closed can side up or open can side up (see slot.it flatsix motor) 

Refer to DiSCA digital slot car for an example of rules designed to mimic the behaviour of the full size cars based on orientation. 

Refer to NSR's International GT3 rules . You will see that the orientation is specified by a red dot on the motor.

The reasoning behind formalising the orientation, is that (on a track with steel rails or magnabraid) the motor orientation has an impact on  magnetic downforce available from the flux leakage from the motor.

Again, if your rules permit , figure out which side is sucking harder in the track and Install the motor to make the best of that.

Alan 

Edited by Nonfractal
  • Like 3

Hello davo43

Even if you do find that a particular motor (or motors) run faster in one direction, in practical terms there is little you can do to take advantage of the fact.

In a sidewinder or angle-winder chassis that has the gear positioned next to the left rear wheel (when viewed from above) the motor will need to turn clockwise in order for the car to move forward. If you were to change the lead-wires over so that (potentially) the motor would run faster it would then turn anti-clockwise and the car would speed off in 'reverse gear'.

In an inline configuration you may have the option of putting the crown gear closest to  the left rear wheel but in most modern, mass-produced inline chassis there is a recess for the gear closest to the right rear wheel. You would have to modify the chassis to accommodate the gear if you were to move it to the left side.

To gain advantage from a motor that revs faster when going 'the wrong way' you would need to scratch-build a chassis that has the gear positioned on the 'best revving' side.

Den

Yes,  slot motors are directional, but not by design, just errors introduced by cheap manufacture.

Agree.....unless you are delving into rebuildable motors in metal chassis racing where armatures are often labelled in degrees of advance ie 25, 38,45 degrees in C or D can motors or strap motors.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality