rosco01

Thunderslot McLaren Elva's

Hi folk,

about time I put some posts up on some models I've now finished.

I purchased the Thunderslot McLaren Elva of Elvis Presley, Bruce McLaren, Graham Hill some time back - and fell in love with it.

I ordered two white kits and decided I'd start playing with pearl paints from SMS.. first time for me.

I was able to reference the finished factory model for reference - and decided I'd follow the trim lines for both my models.

I have found that building two of anything at the same time produces a "poor relation" and one which enjoys the benefit of practice... I have done this with scratch building locomotives and rolling stock.

The kit went together really well and I am very impressed .. but, it needed some argy bargy to get some of the parts to fit... with a bit of scraping/cajoling/sanding until they all sat down and played nicely together.. 

The first one, I bought some SMS "pearl grape" some time back.. and it went without thought to use it on one of these two... I chose "inca gold" for the trim colour.... 

The second one, I found a lovely pearl light blue called "ice blue"... I could not find anything close to what I wanted for the darker colour.. so, mixed up one of my own using SMS again... I used ice blue, black and some VR blue to get the darker pearl colour I wanted.. and am so happy with it, I will use it again when opportunity arises.. I really like the combination of bringing these two "ice blue" base colours together.. see what you think...

IMG-2177.jpg

IMG-2176.jpg

IMG-2179.jpg

IMG-2175.jpg

IMG-2178.jpg

I have the order back to front .. 

This was my first of the two builds.... "purple grape" with "inca gold" ... and note the longer ram tubes.

With both models, I used the trim colour for the driver's helmet and wheel inserts.

I used clear green for the driver's goggles with "purple".. and kept with the blue theme for clear blue for those of "blue"... 

Here's purple - so far, only one vote for "purple".. "blue" seems to be winning this almost outright... your thoughts?

IMG-2180.jpg

IMG-2182.jpg

IMG-2181.jpg

I'll have a few more posts to put up... I have been a bit slack in posting up my work..

I have completed a white kit "Mr Slotcar" F1 GTR McLaren in a "colour shift" SMS called "Black hole".. very impressed.

Also, there has been a Thunderslot white kit of a Lola T70 mk 3.

I have six new NSR models and six Revo slot ones... only one of these 12 has been a white kit - a Porsche 911 GT-2 (for my daughter)... we are making up a colour scheme for that using SMS paints... based on "spearmint green" pearl and "clear aqua".. I have thrown some "teal" into that to get the contrasting darker colour... report and pix as I work through this one.

Further, I do not like my models "sitting" on their tyres. Every one I have (nearly 70, maybe more) - I have made platforms for them to sit on.. with the tyres clear.

The Revo cars have gone one further, and I am making up wooden floors for the boxes - I do not like the factory supplied cardboard base... 

My wooden floors are made from 7 mm ply and routed out where tyres/motor and guide foul.... the floor is elevated by some 5 mm Tasmanian Oak quad..

Might do a report on this as well .... some time, if anyone is interested..

Ok... just thought it time to put these up... they were completed a couple of weeks back... none of my new cars have seen a track yet.. maybe in just under two weeks - our usual annual set up here for Bathurst (late this year).

frats,

Rosco

• Upvote 1

I really like the purple on no-2 but the blue car gets the nod from me too Ross. Great job(s).

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

I have done quite a few repaints of Thunderslot cars posted on here , and must say your's are very nice indeed , that Elva shape suits your colours Ross.

Forgot to mention - main issue with them was the roll bar mounts.. they didn't line up and had to be re-drilled. Also, you'll notice with "purple" it cants forward.. this was another model error.... with "blue", I did quite a bit of filing to the front of the engine which allowed me to move the bar vertical. I had to cajole away a bit of engine and body underneath to get the float. As it came in the kit (and also the Elvis car) the motor fouls the body from full float... 

The wheel inserts all needed sanding down... they were too tight a fit into the hubs... tricky job, to get them to run true... I used clear nail polish to keep them in splace... applying the polish to the inside of the hub rather than on the insert. This way, the insert pushes the polish into the hub as it enters.... painting the stuff onto the insert causes the polish to build up and spread over the outside of the hubs and tyres... again, "blue" got the benefit of learning from that exercise.

The roll bar support fits into a slot in the roll bar and at the other end, it goes into the motor... it's not quite right and a bit of argy needs doing to get the bar vertical... blue won over purple here.

The motor parts went together well. The main block is airbrushed in SMS "stainless". The fittings are Molotow - as are the roll bar and mirror. I also used it on the gearshift linkage, but used Tamiya "rubber black" on the steering wheel rim and gear knob.... "rubber black" is my go to for such things - it really tricks up detail.

With "Elvis" - I noted the join lines around the model... I didn't want those.... and used Tamiya putty in assembly. It brought a much better end finish to the model... I was a little disappointed in "Elvis"... so very well finished, I'd have expected them to have gone that little more and make the result brilliant - rather than excellent... picky, I know...... "Elvis" is a great looking model - the decals are simply stunning.

The headlight assembly is quite tricky to assemble... but it looks amazing. On my LJ XU-1, I have cut some small discs of styrene card and painted them in Molotow chrome. 

With the Elva's and also T70 Lola - I tried to paint Molotow on the rear of the headlight lenses.... it didn't work - and left them satin silver.

My plan for the XU-1 is to fit the small styrene discs to the rear of the lens... and use "canopy glue" to secure them. Gluing around the discs once in place. This should negate the dulling of the Molotow yet will securely fasten them to the rear of the lens..... I'll post this up on the LJ thread once done.

That little model is nearly done - but I'm having issues with the interior. I can make use of a lot more room in there and it seems wasted to fit the almost flat tray just below the windows line... I am looking for a head for Peter Brock... any suggestions?

I'll put something up on the Mr Slotcar McLaren M6a soon... the paint I used is simply stunning.... SMS "black hole" colour shift - first time for me, and it went down very easily - I was expecting issues with laying it, but it was fairly straight forward... I used SMS "super black" underneath - this brought more of the blue/purple out - using a white base would have brought more of the orange... which is pretty much dormant over "super black"... 

I'm in the mixing stage for another model - a Revo-slot Porsche 911 GT-2 white kit. My daughter wants this sprayed in "metallic teal"... which is simply not available.

Scott at SMS (this bloke backs his small private company by hard advice) suggested I spray "pearl white" as a base and either top coat with "spearmint green" or "ice blue".... then over coat that with "clear aqua"... we are messing around on plastic spoons at present - getting close, but I believe I'll end up making up a mix of my own using the suggested colours... as done with "blue" Elva.

I seriously suggest and promote SMS paints - as in a separate thread. The "premium" range is perfect for airbrushing straight out of the bottle. The "advance" range can be hand brushed or thinned at 1:1 with thinners.

All of them are true acrylic laquers... not the soft and pliable psuedo acrylic that Tamiya use... I have found it leaves fingerprint imprints in it even after weeks of pulling down - SMS has not done this.

Further, top coating with 2K "ultra clear".. simply stunning... make it as "deep" as you wish.. or just a light coat to maintain a more lifelike finish.

Ok.. think that covers the Elva's... great model - looking forward to seeing them do some laps. "Elvis" is a shelf queen.. it won't see a track but join company with a very small number of others that I want to keep as collector cars.... one of the A9-X's is on this shelf as well..... lead by six laps, and set the track record on the last lap of the 1,000 km race - what a weapon!

frats,

Rosco

• Like 1