Ford Falcon XD - TRU-BLU

Capri-corn7

Hi all

During last our last lockdown,  which thankfully didn't last too long, I decided to purchase some 3D files.

This is my first attempt at a mostly self made slotcar - one of my goals for my 3D printer.

Body was printed on the smallest wall thickness.  It lost a little detail but I plan to race this in our Aussie Touring Car class so not too bothered with how pretty it is.
Decals have arrived from Pattos place so will add these when I get some time.  Have gone for peel & stick as I find them excellent to work with and very hardy for door to door rubbing.

Body, chassis, guide & driver 3D printed in PLA+ on a Creality Ender 5
Wheel inserts are Resin printed from Slotcar Innovations   https://www.facebook.com/Slot-Car-Innovations-101977758704509
Interior & windows vac formed. (thanks to Munter for his help) 

Some pics of the journey
Cheers

ZVVbAl3l.png

rrNfgvrl.jpg

IuwD14Sl.jpg

ouTq2yil.jpg

Vg4H7Yul.jpg

BehJ74ll.jpg

• Like 8

They are only toys .... until you pull the trigger.

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the feedback. 

Vinno the colour is Tamiya Brilliant Blue TS-44.  And Mark yep have a can of TS-35 Park Green for the Greens Tuf build. 

The chassis is a mash up of one I found on Thingiverse with a pod I drew up blended in. We run this class non podded. 

Wheel base and track is very similar to the Scaley XB. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kalbfellp said:

Great work, do you have any idea of how many hours you put into filling and sanding the body to get that quality of finish?

Thanks Phil.

Yep 3D bodies do take a bit of effort to get presentable.  This one wasn't so bad as it had many big flat areas. A little bit of sand  /fill /sand was needed. I also used a filler + primer on this one which I think helped.

Can't really say how many hours as it was creative / enjoyable time working with something you'd made.

Sanding and fitting the window bucks took longer as I'd never done that before. 

On 11/22/2021 at 2:56 AM, Capri-corn7 said:

Found this Youtube clip which is quite a laugh.  Wish I'd painted the door cards beige now.

Thankfully BBC showed a big chunk of these 8 hour races back in the 80's, it only lasted a few of years but wow what fantastic racing, definitely a highlight of my TV racing memories with 'racecam' being the new big thing.

• Like 1

Life is like a box of Slot cars...B)

• 8 months later...

Tru-blu II has arrived.

iYlJUyil.jpg

htVKGM3l.jpg

Made for a 'details challenged' mate for his birthday.

Second one went a lot quicker as I printed the body on approx 30deg angle so the roof, boot & bonnet were smooth as.
The filling effort was mostly around the lower side. 

Used up the leftover Patto's decals as they come with two sets.  It just needs running gear now. 

udypb8nl.jpg

AVDsxJtl.jpg

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Capri-corn7 said:

Tru-blu II has arrived.

iYlJUyil.jpg

htVKGM3l.jpg

Made for a 'details challenged' mate for his birthday.

Second one went a lot quicker as I printed the body on approx 30deg angle so the roof, boot & bonnet were smooth as.
The filling effort was mostly around the lower side. 

Used up the leftover Patto's decals as they come with two sets.  It just needs running gear now. 

udypb8nl.jpg

AVDsxJtl.jpg

Did you use a resin or a filament type printer? Did you also make the windows your self?

Awesome work, well done, great finish B)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shaynus said:

Did you use a resin or a filament type printer? Did you also make the windows your self?

Awesome work, well done, great finish B)

Cheers Shaynus

Was on an Ender 5 with E-Sun filament.  And yeah I made a vac form box and carved the window bucks from balsa wood.

• Like 1