Sign in to follow this  
Tonyaussie

help needed Carrera to Scaley

Got a first responder truck Carrera digital. Wanting to run it on brand new Scalextric digital track system.

Have semi taken off bits to show the guts of the carrera. That Scaley plug is on the back RHS C8515.

How can I swap the boards/plugs? The Carrera looks much larger and no male Carrera connector matches the Scaley female one. Can cut and solder  at least I have that ability.

TIA

20211102_153738_resized%20plug%20carrera%20truck.jpg?psid=1&width=780&height=1040

Tony

Pic isn't working for me, but yeah, you'll have to cut and solder something, even if you wanted to keep the plugs, if only to add the right kind of plugs to the scaley chip.

If the truck has two boards, whichever one is on the floor is the digital chip, and the other will be for lights and sirens, which you can probably wire up to the motor output on the scaley chip. Depending on which scaley chip, it might have light outputs you can use.

6 hours ago, MrFlippant said:

Pic isn't working for me, but yeah, you'll have to cut and solder something, even if you wanted to keep the plugs, if only to add the right kind of plugs to the scaley chip.

If the truck has two boards, whichever one is on the floor is the digital chip, and the other will be for lights and sirens, which you can probably wire up to the motor output on the scaley chip. Depending on which scaley chip, it might have light outputs you can use.

Thanks mate. Yeh, still having trouble with pics. It has 2 boards, the one for lights is in the roof of the truck. I'll swap the main boards and route the lights to the motor output. 

It usually isn't complicated. Chances are, the Carrera chip outputs to the light board via one of the light outputs. That's usually a 5v output from the chip. While not ideal, the motor output usually works fine, but most SSD chips have a light output connection you can use. On some chips, you might need to bridge a missing resistor, but on the most recent DPR chip, there's light output ready to hook up.

25 minutes ago, MrFlippant said:

It usually isn't complicated. Chances are, the Carrera chip outputs to the light board via one of the light outputs. That's usually a 5v output from the chip. While not ideal, the motor output usually works fine, but most SSD chips have a light output connection you can use. On some chips, you might need to bridge a missing resistor, but on the most recent DPR chip, there's light output ready to hook up.

Yeh, I'm starting to get a feel for how it all works. I have a Bathurst set coming soon and that has a falcon with flashing police lights that I need to swap to digital.. I think I'll wait till then and open it up to inspect its wiring and voltages to various components then copy the format to the carrera truck. I think I'll be fine now. Thanks again. Bit of a steep learning curve.

• Like 1