rosco01

NSR GT40 Mk 2

Hi folk,

wow, have I hit the deck running - seven cars lined up on my workbench all demanding they get closer to completion.. and another three to come - what have I done?

Whilst we were up north, I ordered an NSR GT40 mk 2... I am very impressed with NSR models, and I expect there will be more to come... 

I had a good look at how it was set up ex factory, and something just wasn't right - I could not get module/chassis float when the chassis was fitted to the body, but it was fine on the bench minus body.

I took a very close look for anything which may have been fouling - and sadly, NSR have made the exact same mistake that I suffered with all my Slot-It GT40's... that blasted plastic engine and intake manifold - it fouls the motor pod.. 

IMG-2147.jpg

As you can see in the pic above, the tab melt method of fitting components did not allow much room to decrease the depth of the plastic engine/intake... 

There certainly wasn't enough clearance to be gained by simply chomping into the body of it... so, my plan was to remove it and do some trimming - then fit it further up into the body...

Another area which needed attention was the power leads to the motor - they were first point of contact between the pod and the body.... I de-soldered and re-fitted them so that the leads and terminal were not proud of the motor body... 

IMG-2150.jpg

We can see in the pic below, that the factory placement sits very low in the body - and this fouls the chassis motor and pod... 

IMG-2149.jpg

In the pic below, we can see that I have attacked the plastic severely, just barely avoiding breaking through to what will be visible through the rear window of the model.

I have also cut away the front mount and opted to fit it flush with the body cowl, rather than have it mounted underneath - this combination gave me sufficient clearance for the motor and pod to float within the adjustment I have set this model up with...

IMG-2152.jpg

So, here we have the side-one pic with motor fitted... and if you compare the first pic to this one - you'll note that a considerable amount of adding clearance needed to be emplaced... 

IMG-2153.jpg

So, with a bit of work adjusting float and truing in the tyres... this model is pretty much good to go - it did need a bit of work but I believe it will be one of the best performing GT-40's that I have... the bottom dwellers are the two Scalextric ones I purchased when I re-entered the hobby seven or eight years back... what was I thinking - a second hand "mint" GT-40 I "won" at auction... and paid $85 delivered from W.A....... Scalextric - it has never run correctly, nor did the one I bought direct from a retailer shortly after... then - I found Slot-It, and so commenced a long affair with collecting SI GT40's... eventually building a white kit one that I call "Godzilla" - almost impossible to drive - huge motor, very low gearing... I've learned a bit since way back then.... 

Ok... one down - 9 to go.

Currently on the bench are three NSR 86/89 F1's, two NSR Moslers, a Mr Slotcar McLaren M6A, two T/slot McLaren Elva's, a T/Slot Lola T70, a Revo-Slot Porsche 911 GT-2 white kit, two Revo Porsche 911 GT2's, a Revo Dodge viper and of course - work continues on the LJ XU-1 build.. it has to be completed before Bathurst next year - the 50th anniversary of when PB took it over the finish line to claim his first Bathurst in 1972..

Ok, guess I'm back....

frats,

Rosco

Edited by rosco01
amend
  • Like 3

Hi Ross, although I don't recall having any problems with the interior of mine it had quite a weak motor instead. Needless to say I replaced it but I used a Piranha 21.5 instead, and it must be a strong one as it really flies now and it doesn't need any added ballast as my Slot.it versions required.

• Like 1

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Thanks Bram,

I haven't run any of my new cars yet.... no track.

Normally, I spend a couple of hours setting up an 12.5 metre layout on the Bathurst weekend - looking forward to that so I can finally get to play with some new toys....

I have a fairly good understanding on how all the Slot-It GT-40's go.. it will be good to compare how this NSR one does, and yes - it has a slightly smaller motor than the other NSR's... only 165g/cm torque, but still up at 21.5 k... 

I'm starting to take a bit of notice of torque specs lately.... gives me something to work on with regards final weight of a model... rpms, I relate to gearing.

I'm guessing this is what others do...?

frats,

Rosco