rosco01

Back on the bench..

Hi folk,

been a while..... I'm back and on the bench again continuing with work left over from May....

We escaped Vic lockdown (again) back on 27th May and got over the border into NSW with only 4 hours up our sleeve without need to go into hotel quarantine...

So, did not have a chance to pack anything away - or come online to say I was taking a three/four month break from the hobby.

Like last year, we had a wonderful four months far up north in sunny Queensland... and took nothing of any slot car form with me.. pity, I had times when I could have worked quite happily on a table out under the awning of the van.. but, the warning I got (through the back door sic).. left no time to throw anything in.... we finished packing what we had to take well after 22:00 the night before... 

So, whilst I was up there.. I ordered a few new cars... some yet to arrive, as they were ordered as late as two weeks back.

My daughter took delivery of those who came in.... 

Apart from the unfinished models which have now mounted up and will take precedence to finish before I start on the newly acquired ones - I now have six new NSR cars... three of the 86-89 F1 cars - Toshiba, Olivetti and Beatrice plus a GT-40 mk 2 and two Moslers... I have not yet put any of these NSR models on a track and would be appreciative if members can give me any information I should heed prior to running them.. I am led to believe the Moslers are very quick out of the box....?

Along with those, I now have my first Revo-Slot model.. the Gulf Dodge Viper - wow! I am so impressed with the engineering and assembly of this model... so much so, that I have ordered a further two models... GT-2 Porsches.... and a third white kit one to come.... 

I would also appreciate any information or advice with the Revo cars.. I have not had or seen them before - I am quite taken by the chassis - everything is drilled and screwed... alas, I'll now have to get some more tools... the axle diameter is 3.0 mm..... I suspect this is something to do with the very small ball bearings used on both front and rear axles... 

As well as those, my Slot-It Skyline (Skaiffe/Richards) is on its way... it's coming with the Revo Porsches.

Another car arrived in my absence was the Scalextric A9-X of Brock/Brock.... I'm thinking this will be a collector model.. it will share unused condition with one of the Brock A9-X which I did not fiddle with... 

I have a Flyslot 911 on backorder.. if I'd known that the Revo 911's were coming - I probably wouldn't have ordered this one... I have the Brian Foley one - and that took an enormous amount of work to get it to sit and run properly.. I suspect that the second of these will be no less of a challenge...

So, folk  - just reporting in... after a 4 month absence...

Looking forward to any feedback/advice on the NSR and Revo models... 

frats,

Rosco

good to see you back at it mate, You will enjoy the Revoslots, they are a great, we found the standard tires work pretty well with a light true up, check all the mount screws on the axle blocks to make sure they are tight, found the odd one a little loose. There is a couple of youtube vids out there showing setup tips

Have fun

Thanks Pepsi.... screws, yes.... will do - nothing worse than one popping between the contact rails and blowing a fuse in a controller... 

Just as an aside, do any club tracks require that screws etc be covered by tape to ensure they don't foul or fall out?.... just asking.

Thanks for the welcome back... so much to do, so little time left... 66 y.o. and counting (rapidly).

frats,

Rosco

Screws have to be covered with tape or blu tac at our club in Mandurah Western Aust or you dont play

thanks Old Man, I vaguely remembered this matter mentioned in dispatches....

frats,

Rosco

It doesn't hurt to go over the various axle and motor mountings to check for alignment,etc. They are built with speed in mind (same as any assembly line) over precision assembly. Just give it a once over so to speak.

Revoslot are great cars, luv 'em! B)

Thanks Shaynus,

I took a good look throught You Tube today and have picked up a lot..... 

Even the best of the best can be made better, quieter and smoother... Revo are no exception - some mods I'll definitely be including into mine.

The fitting of silicone spacers on the underside of the body mount screws where they go into the chassis (not to be confused with the already fitted insulators between the chassis and the body)  for one... and checking all the screws and nuts....

Adding "Gorilla Tape" to the chassis/pod mounts - makes Revo cars with aluminium chassis much quieter (removes metal on metal).

Some great info out there on Revo cars if you look for it.

Thunderslot can be made better as well... I have three of the McLaren's.... including the Elvis/Bruce McLaren one..

Few little tricks on positioning the motor pinion and setting the axle bushes into the chassis with nail-polish.

Also, the front wheels/tyres - good demo on how to true them both up using nail-polish as the adhesive.

Also, to add weight inside the total area of the triangular pod base.. plus some up on the outside of the chassis each side of the front pod mount... 

I have six NSR cars.. not so many mods to those, but some... apparently, they are pocket rockets out of the box - two Moslers and a GT-40 plus three 86-89 F1 cars... maybe more to come as well

Lots to do... so little time left to get it all done... and - new cars arriving soon as well..... what have I done?

I probably really need to join/form a club out here in the outer east of Melbourne... any takers?

frats,

Rosco

Edited by rosco01
amend
  • Like 1

If you are running cars on plastic track (ie Scalextric) I have heard you may need to be careful of the NSR F1 dragging its belly on the track. The magnet is quite strong and the chassis is flexible so the magnet (along with the chassis) gets pulled down onto the rails.

Thanks Shaynus.... yes, I run Scalextric "sport" track... I'd prefer a wood layout, but space simply prevents my building one.

I don't run magnets in any of my models... so, maybe I won't suffer the issue... we'll see.. and I'll report when the day I set a track up comes...

thanks again, 

much appreciated.

frats,

Rosco

I think they come standard with magnets,  but you'll find out if I remember correctly when you look under the hood of yours :)