3D printing is part of the future for Slot Cars, there's quite a few of us supplying a 3D printing service for others and that's not going to go away.

Print It, Build It, Race It, Improve It, Repeat...B)

1 hour ago, Kevan said:

3D printing is part of the future for Slot Cars, there's quite a few of us supplying a 3D printing service for others and that's not going to go away.

It is the same as any new technology,
limited availability / high cost to start with, but then the price point drops  take up increases and things grow from there. Onwards and upwards

I'm waiting for the print quality to improve; resolution if that's the correct term (?). I compare this to digital photography, where in the early days there weren't enough pixels to get a decent resolution image. Now everything is digital and film is essentially extinct.

Frankly i'm yet to see a print that's worth my time and effort. Once technology allows for finer finishes i'll be in. The old 'if you spend 200 hours they look pretty good' comment doesn't cut it for me.

My mum says I'm an excellent driver

Area 71 prints are very good and don’t need 200 hours work. But as mentioned above there is the cost. But if it is for something normally unobtainable I am willing to pay but I understand the comment as I will retire in a few years and then money is an object. 

I note there are rumours of some Aussie Group C race cars coming from Area 71 with their relationship with Slot Shop in Sydney. 

3D printing is part of the future of slot cars but hopefully it isn't the future unless it can offer the same quality as injection moulded plastic. In which case it won't matter to me the buyer whether the body is 3D printed or injection moulded it will look as beautiful as a BRM, Revoslot, Slot.it, Carrera, Scalextric, Thunderslot etc etc etc looks today.

Of course if you are chasing a particular and perhaps obscure or no longer manufactured car then 3D printing is a great option for sourcing a body and a chassis. So a valuable part of the hobby much like the few resin casters out there now.

Hiya All,

I'm fortunate enough to have both FDM and Resin printers, but have only printed with the FDMs.

IMO, FDM is better suited for 1/24 scale cars, the prints come out very nicely detailed and quite smooth and the resin ones for 1/32 and smaller.

In saying that, I can print a 1/32 body with good detail and keep it very smooth.

But keep in mind, that it all comes down to the quality of the file.

An ultra smooth file with details adjusted for 3D printing will produce a great print.

Similar if you were to do a good resin body, it needs to be very smooth and have exaggerated details.

I can say this as I've had the opportunity to work with a number of files of differing quality and it's very obvious by the out put.

There has also been a lot of improvement in the slicing software too, big difference from 3 years ago.

It's still early days for this hobby but you can get so much out of 3D printing for the small setup costs.

The fantasy miniatures people have a heap of web based applications to create your own character or scenery and provide a high quality 3D file ready for printing.

It's still very early days, but I want to enjoy these unique cars now while I can still pull a trigger.

Cheers

NimROD

• Like 2