2021 Touring Car Proxy - Practice Race :-) - Alistair's

Sports Racer

Think it,s tim,e for some plain talking , firstly i am very suprised about the mag downforce on the 3 cars at the top, these cars are running bog standard B.R.M 23 K motors, JohnnieE and Sandra ( Dixie ) fancied having a go, so we decided to set them up on John's wood copper taped 4 lane circuit , first time i,ve been able to do a proper set up using a wood track.

Initial running was very encouraging and performance was pretty good especially on my sidewinder Merc against the inline Opal's , there was no indication of any mag pull spinning the motor shaft and running on the wood track, there were a number of improvements i did do to my car from last year which was to reposition some of the weight, fit wider rear wheels and run Nick's Yellowdog urethanes true and glued on the rear , these alterations alone made the car handle better and led to faster times.

Now as we all know this proxy has taken a lot of time to get running , not anyone's fault just covid , our cars along with many have been in situ with Paul for some months and a couple of months ago we had scrutineering where the mag was mentioned on a few cars , Paul around that time and after quali meentioned to me about 3 alternatives 1, withdraw the cars, 2, take a 5 point penalty if the cars were found to be not within the rules , 3 he would replace the motors .

After speaking with the others we decided withdraw or take a penalty , we decided on the penalty, around this time we had picked upon the maga braid problem which was not on our radar as over here all the clubs located in Essex were running wood tracks with copper braid so magna braid was just not there  i have been informed by Paul that all the tracks bar one are using magna braid , and in his last e mail i will quote you what he said ( if you win the proxy based on the current penalty system you will kill the proxy and i can't allow that ) fair enough i can understand that .

Now comes another rub our cars are not the only one's over the 30g , not quite sure how you take 5 points of poor Charles with his car having the lowest results based on lap times, and another thing looking at fastest laps if our 3 cars are that good why is there hardly anything between them and the next couple of cars does not make any sense to me, i have sent a e mail to Paul saying we would be prepared for him to do a motor change with 3 NEW Slot it 23k motors , but that was before i saw this , by the way Johnnie E car was according to Paul way down the field so obviously the mag did not assist him.

My feeling is to revamp the current rules as Paul thinks there may be a need for it , which would mean cancelling this until a later date and return the cars for people to alter them , which would also judging by Pauls comments help the drivers relearn their craft driving slot cars , your thoughts would be appreciated, regards Keith. 

No way would you cancel this proxy just because 1 car in 5 doesn't comply with the rules....

In other words, 80% of the field is legal and yet they are supposed to ....... ?

I'd say "nice try" - but even that's not correct...

My version of plain talking.

Cheers,

Tony.

There's only two questions:

1. What direction do you go

2. What's the Lap Record?

BOV you don't get it Paul wants to change the rules , we took the 5 point penalty even after finding out it was for each race when asked Paul said it was a mixture of tracks, we now know that the majority of tracks well all except one are magna braid, and we will still take the hit at each track don't have  a go at me for raising this , it,s not even a nice try IT,S FACT, talk to Paul and find out the facts first, my version of plain talking. 

Now Keith - we do not want to have a falling out over this - the slot car proxy world is small enough as it is, indeed I've happily hosted your entries a few times in different proxies on my tracks over the years..

But the way I read it - the majority of the entries in this proxy comply with the max 30g motor downforce rule ( Rule 3.2 ). I guess in future entrants will be more aware of the need to check their adherence to such rules...

I just don't think the majority should be impacted by the dramas of the minority...

Here's a solution - run the 5 >30g entries separately  to the 25 < 30g entries ( effectively 2 classes ), and score each class accordingly ( that shouldn't add more than 10 min to the race night )  - I'll even set-up and maintain the scoring spreadsheets, as I have done for many proxies around the world over the years. Not as flash as CGYRacer's scoresheets, but they do the job....

People's thoughts?

Cheers,

Tony.

There's only two questions:

1. What direction do you go

2. What's the Lap Record?

Storm in a teacup.

All the high magnetic motored car owners have been contacted and all were unaware that their motors would infringe the rules. They have taken different options to resolve the issue and I'm happy to continue with this proxy knowing all the cars will be on a level playing field.

Videos of Sunday's racing to come but some are really embarrassing for us drivers. Oh the shame. :ph34r:

• Like 2

May the downforce be with you.

Hi Sports Racer.

Please continue with event as we have all waited so long. Have agreed to take my car out as it was so slow despite mag. Last year I did not even send it as I was so disappointed. Should have done same again. I have just had a look at another Baby King motor and see it is clearly marked Mag Effect so my mistake entirely.

Will enjoy reading about others exploits.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Gentlemen builders have accepted the penalty let’s race on.  Personally I have no way of even knowing if I have enough magnetic affect.  I’m learning my lesson on the BRM motors as you guys are confirming they are quick. I can promise you, there will be a few in my future for wood track racing.  That’s what I love about proxy racing around the world you pick up something from everyone THANK YOU!!

• Like 2

BOV had e mail exchages with Paul over this and sorted it out like gentlemen do ( no not pistols at dawn ) one problem i think many have is they don't own Mag masters and have no idea what amount of mag pull there is so basically flying blind , perhaps not such a problem for local racers but for the likes of us to send cars down there and then at a later date find they are causing a problem, then to send them back to be remotored and send them down under again would take by current standards about 10 weeks , i know one way as it took 6 weeks for a package i sent to OZ to get there from the UK

Then there is the cost last package i sent cost $26 in your money one way 4 times that your talking around $100 not viable , i have made the suggestion of running a one type motor which would eleviate any problem, but not my decission , and anyway there is a problem as i explained to Paul around the new white bell end motors from Slot it , some are saying they are a better motor than the one just replaced i have no idea on this as Pendall's had them and 2 days later when i was going to order , sold out so i wonder if there is something in that , will find out eventually i suppose..

I am suprised by the mag results as you know these are mass produced so things like magnets are cut from a larger piece not specially made for each motor , there will be differance as motors age they loose mag so it would seem the newer the motor is you get the max mag at that time , i could now go on for a page about differant types of material/ thickness of can but i won't, always happy to shed some light in the dark corners from what i have found over the years , but like in everything there are other opinions 

to be honest, if you test the brm 23k on any magnet track, you do see that it is strong... like very very strong. I was worry about the NSR motor but even without any tool i thought the magnet traction was 1/4 of the brm. 

to be honest, i love more and more the use of one motor for a class with fix gearing and let the people tune their car. I know few of you are against it, but it helps to get very close racing and to have the driver experiencing similar speed from one car to the other. But this is a discussion for another day :), for now, let s race.

Happy to see the race starting again, in fact in my club i got the opposite, we stopped for few weeks and because i am an intermittent to slotcar, my performance relative tot he other went up :). I hope you are all safe in Canbera and thanks for running it. still need to see the video to have a good laugh).

Edited by curef99
  • Like 1

The motor in the Megane is a scaleauto sc00025b and is specified at approx 15 grams.

Sc0025b is not a rare earth magnet motor. I have no magnet marshal and no access to such a device.

It's unknown how this particular motor can be running at 4 times spec.

I have agreed with Paul to take the the 5 point hit for each round.

Alan

Time for some videos.

Aloha, charlesx and curef99

ALS, Shaynus and Pepsi

old man, Nonfractual and BARacer

ArroldN, Supercharged and Nev

Supercharged, Alvaro and DP201

Alvaro, DP201 and BrumosRSR

bov, Sports Racer and sticks

Brooksy, 32coupe and jimmyslots

lancelot, JohnnieE and Dixie

The camera ran out of power and I missed filming Peter Gunn's car.

Here's a post race review of all the cars, in race finishing order, sorry for the audio quality.

Post race review

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sports Racer said:

I wonder if the Scaleauto motor has a magnet side and a non-magnet side like some longcans have. I'll check and if it does are you ok for me to rotate the motor so it doesn't have as much magnetic downforce?

I haven't seen any documentation that the sc0025b might pull more on one side that the other.

The can is open both sides.

However, If you can test the motor and do find that it can be rotated to bring it inside the rules without breaking the motor mount,  please do.

Alan

Edited by Nonfractal

11 hours ago, Peter Gunn said:

Interesting videos by what i saw some cars are very quick could not judge mine as there was no racing vid of it, Lancelot looks a potential winner along with 32 coupe and Jimmy 

Hi Keith

I think you might have my car mixed up with someone else,My car seemed to track ok in the Video but with a 7th in Qually & 15th in the race I think in the other 2 lanes it turned into a TURTLE:blink:

Cheers Jimmy:D

To finsh first,first you gotta finish

Thanks Sports Racer. Enjoyed the videos. Some good close racing in some which is all the more enjoyable. I thought the marshal did pretty well covering the whole track with a little help from the drivers. Just a suggestion but if we are short of marshals we use to pause button when car out of reach. Slows things down a bit but fairer.

Keep up the good work. Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Jimmy, it's the races that I didn't video that had some of the worst crashes. Some took a lot of time to get to and put the cars back on the track.

Charles, we don't have a pause button and if we held up all the cars in the race it would disadvantage them against any races which weren't "paused".