tsmsoccer

RSM Tyre Truer Rubber Belt

I have a RSM Tyre Truer and recently broke the rubber belt between the motor and pulley.

Does anyone know where they can be purchased. I have seen them on the Overdrive site in Germany and while the belt is only a few Euros they want 20 euros for postage.

Does anyone know of any other supplier 

Thanks

Charlie

Hi Charlie

I think the rubber belt is an "O"ring  (circeluar cross section) if so should be able to buy them over the counter at an engineering supplier or bearing supplier ( if covid allowed)

Take the broken one with you to get the right length and diameter most likely they will bring out a box with different sizes to pick from

https://wallersindustrialonline.com/products/279pc-metric-o-ring-set?variant=13560138465315&currency=AUD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2020-04-23&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2pXim7O_8gIVxJNmAh1rmQv9EAQYASABEgLy__D_BwE

make sure you don't get one that is to long ( voice of experience)

Good Luck 

Rodney

I believe Slotraceshop in NZ used to be a supplier of overdrive gear.

This is a few years ago so not sure how it stands today

edit. Looks like they may be out of stock..bugger

https://www.slotraceshop.nz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=162_163&products_id=1738&zenid=6m8q7jeban3h1aadcofcb6l0p4

Edited by Mobbzee

As Rodney said, go to Repco or such, i don't think supercheap would stock them, but you can buy a box full of "O" rings all different sizes, usually off the shelf for probably the same price as the postage from Europe.

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

@tsmsoccerAside from the the above suggestions, if you have a local bearing place like CBC bearings or Brearing Services etc they will measure and supply really cheap. There are different materials used in orings and they may suggest a different material.

• Like 1

if you go to a bearing place try to get the Viton ones.they last a lot longer usually,heat resistant.

• Like 1

All these tyre truers use a standard O-ring

Print It, Build It, Race It, Improve It, Repeat...B)

whats standard? the area 3 are different size to scaleauto,both the old and newer scaleauto are different sizes also. Hudy are different. if you get the viton rings go for the 2.4mm thickness and it will last longer again.allow for that thickness though to change ID from stock size.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mobbzee said:

I believe Slotraceshop in NZ used to be a supplier of overdrive gear.

This is a few years ago so not sure how it stands today

edit. Looks like they may be out of stock..bugger

https://www.slotraceshop.nz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=162_163&products_id=1738&zenid=6m8q7jeban3h1aadcofcb6l0p4

Hey all

Every lathe brand has different diameters and thicknesses. 

I ran out of the RSM ones, and Klaus got a bit more difficult to deal with recently, so my last batch of this style of lathe were Professor Motor ones.
But when one of our club guys broke an RSM belt recently, I realised I had no spares for myself either, so brought in a bag of O-rings to suit.
The ones I bought are 57mm diameter, 3mm thickness. 

But for anyone who wants to buy O-rings from a local engineering supplies place for this lathe, anything from 57mm to 60mm diameter and 2.5mm to 3mm thickness will work okay on these lathes.

Charlie - just message me your address and I'll post some over to you.

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC     

11 hours ago, warrick said:

whats standard? the area 3 are different size to scaleauto,both the old and newer scaleauto are different sizes also. Hudy are different. if you get the viton rings go for the 2.4mm thickness and it will last longer again.allow for that thickness though to change ID from stock size.

Standard in that they aren't made specifically for these machines, they're off the shelf o rings.

9 hours ago, Kevan said:

Standard in that they aren't made specifically for these machines, they're off the shelf o rings.

As Kevan said, the o-rings on all these lathes, are just a common part sourced from usual engineering manufacturing chains.
I bought 30-50 of every possible size, for every type of lathe known to human kind over the past couple of years, and have been dishing them out as required to friends in the hobby here.

• Like 1

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self

In my experience O-rings are definitely the way to go. I bought a couple for my home-made truer and they only cost about $2 or $3 each. Plus with one I sanded it down to almost half the thickness so it's more like a V-belt now and I've used this for well over 5 years and the spare is still waiting for its turn.

I looked up Blackwoods and there's one in Darwin, if you're anywhere near there, and if you try them you might get lucky. If I recall correctly mine came from them.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

I did a bit of searching, RS Online sells alsorts of Engineering spares, this is what it says about o-rings:

'Static and dynamic O-ring seal design differs in a few key ways. A static O-ring is any o-ring designed to contact with two or more surfaces that do not move relative to one another, whereas a dynamic O-ring is one that helps form a seal between moving parts.'

O-rings in sizes we need (57-60mm and 2.5-3mm thick) are Nitrile rubber.

problem with Nitrile though is it is not as resistant to heat as the Viton. heat is the main issue with our truers belts and what causes them to break. in general the only time Nitrile is better than Viton is in extreme cold conditions.

If you buy them on the E of Bay, who cares - they cost cents each. Not bucks
I have been using the cheapies myself for a few years, and I reckon I get at least a year out of belts on my most used lathe, more on the Hudy and others that see less wear.

On 8/20/2021 at 4:27 PM, tsmsoccer said:

I have a RSM Tyre Truer and recently broke the rubber belt between the motor and pulley.

Does anyone know where they can be purchased. I have seen them on the Overdrive site in Germany and while the belt is only a few Euros they want 20 euros for postage.

Does anyone know of any other supplier 

Thanks

Charlie

Would the belt be similar to the Tyre Razor? I've got a spare belt here if you want to try it for fit. Armchair sells belts for the Tyre Razor

3 hours ago, Johnno said:

Would the belt be similar to the Tyre Razor? I've got a spare belt here if you want to try it for fit. Armchair sells belts for the Tyre Razor

On 8/21/2021 at 12:00 PM, SlotsNZ said:

But for anyone who wants to buy O-rings from a local engineering supplies place for this lathe, anything from 57mm to 60mm diameter and 2.5mm to 3mm thickness will work okay on these lathes.

Measure yours and you'll know