Sign in to follow this  
slotmadmac

Dave West Masterclass.

Legendary slot car builder Dave West came through to Hawke's Bay for the weekend to hold a Car Tuning Masterclass. 18 enthusiasts converged to watch him work up a Thunderslot McLaren from scratch and it was a privilege watching him do his thing. The attention to detail Dave puts into his builds is phenomenal, but every step was logical and very well explained. We all learnt so much it was ridiculous - with his tyre prep (and the theory behind that prep) especially compelling. It was a brilliant time in the shed, and if you were one of the lucky guys here for the weekend, I know you'll be nodding your head right now. Keep scrolling to see how that little McLaren turned out.

2ix5owil.jpg

XLfSp9Il.jpg

dfRJFbDl.jpg

s7uzcKLl.jpg

irx5ndBl.jpg

FlMy4GFl.jpg

kpIG7eIl.jpg

iUroWqBl.jpg

6CEn1hJl.jpg

Munter and Viv even graced us with their presence; significantly raising the coolness factor in the shed. 

9TZyqHjl.jpg

And Pat, ever vigilant, captured the twice daily moment when the Slot Gods bless us with their time.

MVLLpHsl.jpg

Edited by slotmadmac
  • Like 3

Podiums are for short people.

We raced a bunch of different cars over the weekend; even the Caravans got a run. Race Catering was on point - as always - and Bingo's ever increasing range of slot car products were there for all to marvel at. The Teams race with drivers interchanging under power was a hoot. No one seemed to care who won or lost but, against all odds, the Dicks took it out in the end. 

oqkuklkl.jpg

SYIJDoAl.jpg

QQon4aBl.jpg

6bHdrsrl.jpg

oy1lspDl.jpg

TWXuaE5l.jpg

cXoMb5Tl.jpg

Edited by slotmadmac
  • Like 2

Here's the great man holding his weekend's work. 

qO4KpgCl.jpg

Initial track testing was very, very promising. The car was an absolute dream to drive and really quick - already faster than my best Thunderslot by 1/10th. An hour on the rolling road helped to bring the tyres on and break in the motor...

lR71zvbl.jpg

...and the times started to tumble. A few laps in and the car claimed my outright track record and I don't think I even pulled out one really quick lap. There is definitely another 2/10ths in it when the track is warm and the motor is properly run in. Amazing. 

1cbGd8ml.jpg

Having that sort of result was the icing on the cake of great weekend.

Shoutout to the Wellington crew who made the effort to come through to the Bay and a huge vote of thanks to Dave for sharing a lifetimes worth of tuning knowledge. I know he really enjoyed the weekend and we are definitely doing one of these masterclasses again. 

• Like 3

He is one of the premier Thunderslot tuners in the world.  My question is the spring set up looked much different than set ups on past TS cars.  What did you find out?  I wish this was video taped or YouTubed for the North American guys who enjoy Dave’s builds.  You lucky (insert team name for the race)  I’m kidding of course. 

• Like 1

This a super event, highlight of my year, (so far), I learnt a lot, and even more important it has inspired me to move a further step into the art of "TUNING" slot cars, rather than my  "tuning light".

• Upvote 1

Yes, my fingers are burning up the keyboard typing up my notes before I forget. Spring kit ordered. 
Apleasure to watch you in action Dave. 

Awesome Mac, Thank You and Pip for putting up with me, it was a great weekend for sure.

5.7??????????

10 hours ago, slotmadmac said:

Track record now 5.869s 

My Elva has been fiddled, but the driver is going to need a  brain/eyesight upgade to get within a second of that.

Fantastic Event.  Huge thanks to Mac & Pip for organising, hosting & catering.  My scales didn't like the incredible cheese scones as much as I did!!

& huge thanks too Dave for sharing your knowledge & skills.   
Your presenting style & clear explanations were awesome! Cheers

They are only toys .... until you pull the trigger.

Thanks Mac & Pip for hosting this weekend, thanks Dave for coming down and sharing your knowledge. Learnt a couple of different ways of doing some things which I will now use in the future.

Was good to have a catch up with all the guy's

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

Hi Guys, I'm still buzzing from the weekend, it was a great time catching up with the guys.

Some one wanted a link to be able to grab a Holden HQ Monorail, I have lost track of who that was so here is a link to the one I found.

I had it printed by a resin printer and very happy with the result, it will make a cool slot car one day.

https://3dprintable.shop/product/holden-monaro-coupe-gts-350-1971-printable-body-car/

36 minutes ago, drw21 said:

Hi Guys, I'm still buzzing from the weekend, it was a great time catching up with the guys.

Some one wanted a link to be able to grab a Holden HQ Monorail, I have lost track of who that was so here is a link to the one I found.

I had it printed by a resin printer and very happy with the result, it will make a cool slot car one day.

https://3dprintable.shop/product/holden-monaro-coupe-gts-350-1971-printable-body-car/

Cheers Dave that was me & Crockett - 

16 hours ago, Capri-corn7 said:

Cheers Dave that was me & Crockett - 

yep that was me

thanks Dave I have been hunting for a decent HQ Holden body for a long time

I do believe Bingo our in house engineer is printing in resin so will have to get him on to it

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

Very sad I had to pull out, missed the event, missed catching up with the Wellington crew.
- Drove past Paul's in Otaki 4 times in the last week....sorry to miss you mate

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC     

The only downside of the masterclass weekend was that much of my previous theory about building fast slot cars is now out the window, and I need to rebuild all my race cars.  

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 1:12 PM, slotmadmac said:

The only downside of the masterclass weekend was that much of my previous theory about building fast slot cars is now out the window, and I need to rebuild all my race cars.  

Yup!!