lenny broke

the 2021 John Smedley Constuctors Award

Hi All,

With the sad passing of John Smedley late last year it was decided that the constructors award would be named in his honour. John was an enthusiastic slot car guy and wanted to encourage good scratchbuilding in the Tasman Cup proxy series. So a couple of years back he instigated this award to be decided by a panel selected by him at the Fulham Park Raceway round of the series. The brief was the car had to be scratch built rather than using a ready made or kit chassis with consideration of  design, construction technique and quality of finish of the whole car.  For this year the award was decided at the first round held at Western Adeaide Raceway (WAR) by the drivers and marshals attending.

It is with great pleasure for me to announce that this years recipient of the John Smedley Constructors Award is Rosco01' for his lovely Cooper T53.

rosco-smeds-award.jpg

Congratulations Rosco!!!!

Edited by lenny broke
  • Like 1

I’m happy to see John’s legacy continues with the award. Good work Rosco it’s nice to see a quality build on a race car and especially a proxy car. 

• Like 1

well done guys... John was a legend in Adelaide. We had him on TV few years back and on newspaper slot car endurance race  article 25y ago. I still miss my friend, i would not be Australian now without his amazing welcome 9y ago.  

I have not had internet for quite some time and have just been able to catch up with the series and results. 

The last event I saw was round 2... so, was happy to see that my little effort completed the series without falling apart and disgracing itself.

However, it is with great glee that indeed my little T-53 has been endowed with the John Smedley constructor's award for this year.... I feel a little ashamed that I have not been able to comment on the series rounds and thank those after each event for the wonderful dedication committed to running each event.

Thank you to all entrants who produced some wonderful models that my little effort shared the track to relive the '60's.

As with many of the entrants, it was almost an 11th hour decision to complete a build that was mothballed for some three years, and very little progress had been made other than the basic chassis plates. The body was hardly touched and parts had to be found from the large collection of many other projects.

Everything else went on hold until I completed the model - and I was very releived when it all seemed to hold together after just a handful of laps around a rushed assembly of some of my Scalextric track... and mailed off to reach the entry deadline... I am indeed chuffed that it completed the series and am gobsmacked on receiving the John Smedley award..... 

Special mention to the drivers, marshalls and back-up staff who are unsung heroes - it was very pleasing to see some faces and names of those who contributed... thank you.

Finally, a very special thank you to Alan - who, under the very troublesome constraints and restrictions of getting the series completed due to Covid and the associated unsurity of how to determine/plan the series - thank you.

This year's John Smedly award will be treasured for many years to come and will take pride of place within display of my growing collection.

I very much look forward to next year, and hope that we can all be free of this rancid disease which has put just so many of us under a threat that we have not seen before in our lifetimes.... 

I look forward to a final wrap of each car and what is suggested to improve performance.... I am still very much learning this "black art" in stratchbuilding and tuning.... maybe my effort next year will produce better times, but overall - I am delighted with coming away with such an honour of taking this year's John Smedley constructor's trophy... 

frats,

Rosco

• Like 3